Was this good advice I gave to a user searching for a client? - Unix

This is a discussion on Was this good advice I gave to a user searching for a client? - Unix ; The original post I'd like to connect from my HP 4150 ipaq to my UNIX workstation. Although I have had this working in the dim and distant past, I can't get it working now. The ipaq and the UNIX both ...

  1. Was this good advice I gave to a user searching for a client?

    The original post

    I'd like to connect from my HP 4150 ipaq to my UNIX workstation.
    Although I have had this working in the dim and distant past, I can't
    get it working now.

    The ipaq and the UNIX both have a router as as the default route. The
    UNIX box (a Sun running Solaris 10) can ping the ipaq, but the ipaq
    can't telnet to the Sun, despite it having a telnet server running.

    Both the ipaq and Sun have Internet connectivity.

    Any suggestions what is wrong? Are there any better telnet client
    around? I'd prefer to use ssh, but there seems to be no free ssh clients.

    My reply

    *One MS PocketPC MVP strong encouraged this user to use Telnet and I
    replied.

    While I am not a PocketPC MVP nor a expert with PocketPC's I have been
    using a Unix account dating back to 1993 (dialup only in those days). I
    will say that perhaps you should ask the Unix experts on comp.unix.misc,
    comp.unix.questions about Telnet/SSH clients. Some of the advice given
    to you here has been totally off that the experts there would never
    encourage. But it is to be expected as those giving advice here are not
    Unix experts like what you would find in the Unix groups. Dave if I
    wanted detailed Mac support I would go to apples forums, if I want Palm
    support I go to comp.sys.palmtops.pilot, if I want DOS support I go to
    those forums and likewise.

    Telnet under no circumstances should be used. Well if you use it as a
    one time deal, you may be safe but I would strongly encourage you to use
    SSH and stay away from telnet and the Unix experts on those groups would
    agree. Yes you may need to pay for a client but its worth it!

    For Windows CE I have tried a half dozen different clients and arrive at
    the conclusion that nothing is superior to PocketTTY for many many
    reasons.

    Check out some screenshots.

    http://johnw.freeshell.org/graphics/hpc/Screen001.jpg
    http://johnw.freeshell.org/graphics/hpc/Screen005.jpg

    Best of luck to you and here is the link again. Dave the money I paid
    was well worth it! No freeware client could meet my high standards.

    http://www.dejavusoftware.com/

    John

    "The president didn't go into Iraq because the polls told him it was
    popular. As a matter of fact, the polls said just the opposite. But
    leadership isn't about polls. It's about making decisions you think are
    right and then standing behind those decisions.
    That's why America is safer with George W. Bush as president" (Arnold
    Schwarzenegger, 2004).

    Matthew 7:12 Therefore, whatever you want men to do to you, do also to
    them, for this is the Law and the Prophets.

    Luke 9:23 Then he said to them all: If anyone would come after me, he
    must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me.

  2. Re: Was this good advice I gave to a user searching for a client?

    In article ,
    Big Brother wrote:

    > The original post
    >
    > I'd like to connect from my HP 4150 ipaq to my UNIX workstation.
    > Although I have had this working in the dim and distant past, I can't
    > get it working now.
    >
    > The ipaq and the UNIX both have a router as as the default route. The
    > UNIX box (a Sun running Solaris 10) can ping the ipaq, but the ipaq
    > can't telnet to the Sun, despite it having a telnet server running.
    >
    > Both the ipaq and Sun have Internet connectivity.
    >
    > Any suggestions what is wrong? Are there any better telnet client
    > around? I'd prefer to use ssh, but there seems to be no free ssh clients.

    If telnet doesn't work, what makes you think ssh will? Unless the Sun
    has a firewall running that blocks telnet and allows ssh (in which case,
    why is the telnet server even running?).

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA

  3. Re: Was this good advice I gave to a user searching for a client?

    Barry Margolin wrote:
    > In article ,
    > Big Brother wrote:
    >

    >>The original post
    >>
    >>I'd like to connect from my HP 4150 ipaq to my UNIX workstation.
    >>Although I have had this working in the dim and distant past, I can't
    >>get it working now.
    >>
    >>The ipaq and the UNIX both have a router as as the default route. The
    >>UNIX box (a Sun running Solaris 10) can ping the ipaq, but the ipaq
    >>can't telnet to the Sun, despite it having a telnet server running.
    >>
    >>Both the ipaq and Sun have Internet connectivity.
    >>
    >>Any suggestions what is wrong? Are there any better telnet client
    >>around? I'd prefer to use ssh, but there seems to be no free ssh clients.

    > If telnet doesn't work, what makes you think ssh will? Unless the Sun
    > has a firewall running that blocks telnet and allows ssh (in which case,
    > why is the telnet server even running?).

    I'll answer that, as it was me who posted the original question about a
    telnet or ssh client on the microsoft.public.pocketpc newsgroup. I was
    looking for an SSH client to run on an HP iPAQ. I want to connect from
    my HP iPAQ to a Sun via a wireless network.

    What I *thought* was a telnet client (called Terminal Services Client)
    on the iPAQ has nothing to do with telnet at all. So that is why it
    would not connect !!!

    I did find a telnet and SSH client (PocketPuTTY) but it is pretty
    useless, in that the as soon as the text gets to the bottom of the
    screen, it goes under the keyboard. (On the iPAQ, the keyboard is on the
    screen and letters selected with a stylus). PocketPuTTY connects to the
    Sun using telnet or ssh, but the interface is very very poor indeed.

    SSH would be preferable, but for this application security is not a
    major concern. The location is well away from anyone else, and not
    within range of any houses that can pick up the radio signal. The link
    is encrypted (not good encryption is must be said) and the wireless
    access point will only accept data from the one Mac address. But more
    than anything, the machine has no critical data and so I'm not overly
    concerned about its security. If someone is determined enough to decypt
    the encryption key, spoof their MAC adress, snoop to get the password,
    then good luck to them. There is an easier way though - just ask me.
    I've let several others who I have never met use it for no charge for
    testing software.

    However, I think I will have to buy an SSH client, as I can find no free
    telnet or SSH ones that are really usable. Fine if you don't mind typing
    'clear' every 5 lines to start the text at the top of the screen, or
    don't mind typing without seeing what you are typing, or what the
    results are, but not really very practical.

    --
    Dave K