ascii and bin - Unix

This is a discussion on ascii and bin - Unix ; Why should user choose between ascii and bin, in many cases? Are not the files always contituted by bytes? For example when i copy files using ftp i must choose between ascii and bin. Why? Thanks...

  1. ascii and bin

    Why should user choose between ascii and bin, in many cases? Are not
    the files always contituted by bytes? For example when i copy files
    using ftp i must choose between ascii and bin. Why?

    Thanks

  2. Re: ascii and bin

    On 28 Oct 2005 07:37:19 -0700, djake@excite.it wrote:
    > Why should user choose between ascii and bin, in many cases? Are not
    > the files always contituted by bytes? For example when i copy files
    > using ftp i must choose between ascii and bin. Why?

    1. I cannot remember if transfering ascii files if ftp converts the dos's
    cr/lf to unix lf and vice versa.

    2. I think when xfering a bin/exe as ascii, the file may not be the same
    size because an EOD char in the bin/exe could terminate the ascii xfer.

    3. If 1 is true, then your bin/exe will be corrupt because of the CR
    removals.

  3. Re: ascii and bin

    In article ,
    Bit Twister wrote:

    > On 28 Oct 2005 07:37:19 -0700, djake@excite.it wrote:
    > > Why should user choose between ascii and bin, in many cases? Are not
    > > the files always contituted by bytes? For example when i copy files
    > > using ftp i must choose between ascii and bin. Why?

    > 1. I cannot remember if transfering ascii files if ftp converts the dos's
    > cr/lf to unix lf and vice versa.

    That's precisely what it does. ASCII means it's a text file, so FTP
    should do any necessary file format conversions to preserve the meaning
    across different operating systems.

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA