    tried changing it to 156 but it had no effect. What do I need to do to
    have 'ps -ef' produce output that is 156 or 192 characters long?

  2. Re: output of 'ps -ef' truncated

    On 2005-10-15, dn.perl@gmail.com wrote:

    > On my Solaris system (SunOS 5.8), the output of 'ps -ef' is getting
    > truncated to 126 characters. The value of COLUMNS variable is 92. I
    > tried changing it to 156 but it had no effect. What do I need to do to
    > have 'ps -ef' produce output that is 156 or 192 characters long?

    Read the man page; look for the 'w' option.

    --
    Chris F.A. Johnson
    Shell Scripting Recipes: A Problem-Solution Approach, 2005, Apress

  3. Re: output of 'ps -ef' truncated

    Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:
    > On 2005-10-15, dn.perl@gmail.com wrote:
    > >
    > > On my Solaris system (SunOS 5.8), the output of 'ps -ef' is getting
    > > truncated to 126 characters. The value of COLUMNS variable is 92. I
    > > tried changing it to 156 but it had no effect. What do I need to do to
    > > have 'ps -ef' produce output that is 156 or 192 characters long?

    > Read the man page; look for the 'w' option.

    I am running a version of Solaris whose 'ps' does not have -w
    option at all.
    'uname -a' produces output :
    SunOS sunserv2 5.8 Generic_117350-08 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Blade-1000

    /usr/ucb/ps does have -w option but '/usr/ucb/ps -w -e' lists only
    two processes whereas 'ps -ef' lists 141 processes. I want listed
    a process which is a daemon. Please advise.

  4. Re: output of 'ps -ef' truncated

    dn.perl@gmail.com wrote:
    > On my Solaris system (SunOS 5.8), the output of 'ps -ef' is getting
    > truncated to 126 characters. The value of COLUMNS variable is 92. I
    > tried changing it to 156 but it had no effect. What do I need to do to
    > have 'ps -ef' produce output that is 156 or 192 characters long?

    % /usr/ucb/ps awwx

  5. Re: output of 'ps -ef' truncated

    try ps -eaf --cols 192

    dn.perl@gmail.com wrote:
    > Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:
    >
    >>On 2005-10-15, dn.perl@gmail.com wrote:
    >>
    >>>On my Solaris system (SunOS 5.8), the output of 'ps -ef' is getting
    >>>truncated to 126 characters. The value of COLUMNS variable is 92. I
    >>>tried changing it to 156 but it had no effect. What do I need to do to
    >>>have 'ps -ef' produce output that is 156 or 192 characters long?

    >> Read the man page; look for the 'w' option.
    >>

    > I am running a version of Solaris whose 'ps' does not have -w
    > option at all.
    > 'uname -a' produces output :
    > SunOS sunserv2 5.8 Generic_117350-08 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Blade-1000
    >
    > /usr/ucb/ps does have -w option but '/usr/ucb/ps -w -e' lists only
    > two processes whereas 'ps -ef' lists 141 processes. I want listed
    > a process which is a daemon. Please advise.

+ Reply to Thread