Newbie - How to get the directory listing only - Unix

This is a discussion on Newbie - How to get the directory listing only - Unix ; I am trying to find a way to list only the directories in particular UNIX folder. I have tried to find the command in the Net, but without success. I have tried ls -d ls -d * What it does ...

  1. Newbie - How to get the directory listing only

    I am trying to find a way to list only the directories in particular
    UNIX folder. I have tried to find the command in the Net, but without
    success.

    I have tried
    ls -d
    ls -d *

    What it does is, displays files as well as directories. The only
    difference was that, it did not display the files under that directory.

    I am using SCO flavour of UNIX.

    Excuse me if it is a Newbie question. Thanks for your attention.

  2. Re: Newbie - How to get the directory listing only

    PradeepR wrote:
    > I am trying to find a way to list only the directories in particular
    > UNIX folder. I have tried to find the command in the Net, but without
    > success.
    >
    > I have tried
    > ls -d
    > ls -d *
    >
    > What it does is, displays files as well as directories. The only
    > difference was that, it did not display the files under that directory.

    ls -al | grep ^d

    or

    ls -l | grep ^d
    to omitt dotdirs

    you might want to alias the commands

    --
    reply to usenet only

  3. Re: Newbie - How to get the directory listing only

    In article <1127565113.531671.264100@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>,
    "PradeepR" wrote:

    > I am trying to find a way to list only the directories in particular
    > UNIX folder. I have tried to find the command in the Net, but without
    > success.
    >
    > I have tried
    > ls -d
    > ls -d *
    >
    > What it does is, displays files as well as directories. The only
    > difference was that, it did not display the files under that directory.

    The -d option means not to descend *into* directories (i.e. list the
    directory itself, not its contents), it doesn't mean to list only
    directories. Try:

    ls -d */.

    This will also include symbolic links that point to directories, though.

    Another solution is:

    find * -type d -print -prune

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA

  4. Re: Newbie - How to get the directory listing only

    Yes, it works. Thanks mate.

  5. Re: Newbie - How to get the directory listing only

    It works. Thanks.

  6. Re: Newbie - How to get the directory listing only

    For many non-ancient UNIX flavors, something like:
    $ ls -d */
    will suffice.
    If that generally works for your flavor, you might also want to discard
    stderr and ignore
    error(s) in general.
    E.g.:
    $ ls -d */