Lost volume group on aix 4.3.3 - Unix

This is a discussion on Lost volume group on aix 4.3.3 - Unix ; After a weekly reboot of the server we received the following error: ---------------------------------------------------------------------- LABEL: SCSI_ERR10 IDENTIFIER: 0BA49C99 Date/Time: Sun Aug 1 01:05:54 Sequence Number: 39621 Machine Id: 00078F1F4C00 Node Id: xxxxxxxx Class: H Type: TEMP Resource Name: scsi1 Resource Class: ...

  1. Lost volume group on aix 4.3.3

    After a weekly reboot of the server we received the following error:

    LABEL: SCSI_ERR10
    IDENTIFIER: 0BA49C99

    Date/Time: Sun Aug 1 01:05:54
    Sequence Number: 39621
    Machine Id: 00078F1F4C00
    Node Id: xxxxxxxx
    Class: H
    Type: TEMP
    Resource Name: scsi1
    Resource Class: adapter
    Resource Type: sym896
    Location: 10-88

    Description
    SCSI BUS ERROR

    No immediate cause for the error was found and the server was rebooted
    again. The original hdisk2 was flagged as "defined" and a new hdisk4
    was added. The location and serial numbers for hdisk2 and hdisk4 are
    the same. hdisk4 is flagged as available. Now I cannot mount a
    filesystem that was contained on the volume group on hdisk2. When I
    try to mount the filesystem a get the following message:

    mount: 0506-324 Cannot mount /dev/sourcelv on /source: There is a
    request to a device or address that does not exist.

    I am no longer seeing the scsi error in the error and it appears that
    the physical drive is fine. There is data in the volume group that I
    need to recover and I would like to try and do it without resorting to
    an old backup.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks.

  2. Re: Lost volume group on aix 4.3.3

    pinslayer22@hotmail.com wrote:

    > After a weekly reboot of the server we received the following error:

    > LABEL: SCSI_ERR10
    > IDENTIFIER: 0BA49C99
    >
    > Date/Time: Sun Aug 1 01:05:54
    > Sequence Number: 39621
    > Machine Id: 00078F1F4C00
    > Node Id: xxxxxxxx
    > Class: H
    > Type: TEMP
    > Resource Name: scsi1
    > Resource Class: adapter
    > Resource Type: sym896
    > Location: 10-88
    >
    > Description
    > SCSI BUS ERROR
    >
    > No immediate cause for the error was found and the server was rebooted
    > again. The original hdisk2 was flagged as "defined" and a new hdisk4
    > was added. The location and serial numbers for hdisk2 and hdisk4 are
    > the same. hdisk4 is flagged as available. Now I cannot mount a
    > filesystem that was contained on the volume group on hdisk2.

    importvg hdisk4

    It should restore the logical volumes that were on hdisk2 to hdisk4.

    > I am no longer seeing the scsi error in the error and it appears that
    > the physical drive is fine.

    The problem will occur again. Order a replacement drive before it
    fails permanently. Schedule an outage to move the data and replace
    the drive that has already failed. Using importvg is only a
    stopgap until then.

  3. Re: Lost volume group on aix 4.3.3

    pinslayer22@hotmail.com wrote in message news:...
    > After a weekly reboot of the server we received the following error:

    > LABEL: SCSI_ERR10
    > IDENTIFIER: 0BA49C99
    >
    > Date/Time: Sun Aug 1 01:05:54
    > Sequence Number: 39621
    > Machine Id: 00078F1F4C00
    > Node Id: xxxxxxxx
    > Class: H
    > Type: TEMP
    > Resource Name: scsi1
    > Resource Class: adapter
    > Resource Type: sym896
    > Location: 10-88
    >
    > Description
    > SCSI BUS ERROR
    >
    > No immediate cause for the error was found and the server was rebooted
    > again. The original hdisk2 was flagged as "defined" and a new hdisk4
    > was added. The location and serial numbers for hdisk2 and hdisk4 are
    > the same. hdisk4 is flagged as available. Now I cannot mount a
    > filesystem that was contained on the volume group on hdisk2. When I
    > try to mount the filesystem a get the following message:
    >
    > mount: 0506-324 Cannot mount /dev/sourcelv on /source: There is a
    > request to a device or address that does not exist.
    >
    > I am no longer seeing the scsi error in the error and it appears that
    > the physical drive is fine. There is data in the volume group that I
    > need to recover and I would like to try and do it without resorting to
    > an old backup.
    > Any suggestions?
    > Thanks.

    Are any filesystems mounted that exist on hdisk2 or hdisk4 ? If not, run:

    rmdev -dl hdisk2
    rmdev -dl hdisk4
    cfgmgr
    mount all