Ethernet Card Configuration - Unix

This is a discussion on Ethernet Card Configuration - Unix ; Does anyone know how to set 100 MB full-duplex on a network card through SuSe 9.1? Thanks in advance....

  1. Ethernet Card Configuration

    Does anyone know how to set 100 MB full-duplex on a network card
    through SuSe 9.1? Thanks in advance.

  2. Re: Ethernet Card Configuration

    eley@swmail.sw.org (Edward G. Ley) said:
    >Does anyone know how to set 100 MB full-duplex on a network card
    >through SuSe 9.1? Thanks in advance.

    [followups set to comp.os.linux.networking]

    The best choice would be to set the other end to automatically negotiate
    the speed and duplex (most possibly the issue is that one end of the
    link is set to fixed 100/full, and other is left in autosense mode,
    which always results in duplex mismatch). With both ends in autosense
    mode, the set-up will (in great majority of cases) just work.

    If this is undesirable, find a program called "mii-tool" (or "mii-diag").
    Then arrange that program to be run with appropriate parameters when the
    interface is brought up (how to do this is specific to Mandrake, of which
    I don't have any experience).
    --
    Wolf a.k.a. Juha Laiho Espoo, Finland