sparc 20 workstation's clock - Unix

This is a discussion on sparc 20 workstation's clock - Unix ; sorry, if you receive this message twice. I send message out earlier, it seems that there is problem in my system. Hi, I have Sparc20 with Solaris 2.5 operating system. This workstation was in storage for years. The time stay ...

  1. sparc 20 workstation's clock

    sorry, if you receive this message twice. I send message out earlier, it
    seems that there is problem in my system.

    Hi,
    I have Sparc20 with Solaris 2.5 operating system. This workstation was in
    storage for years.
    The time stay at year 1970. I have try to change the time by using a command
    "clock", but failed.

    Is the time caused by "battery is too old"? If I have to replace a new
    battery, would

    You please provide me some tip, such as where and how.

    Thanks in advance.

  2. Re: sparc 20 workstation's clock

    On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 09:46:16 -0400, cljlk wrote:
    > I have Sparc20 with Solaris 2.5 operating system. This workstation was in
    > storage for years.
    > The time stay at year 1970. I have try to change the time by using a command
    > "clock", but failed.
    >
    > Is the time caused by "battery is too old"? If I have to replace a new
    > battery, would
    >
    > You please provide me some tip, such as where and how.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    There was a recent post in comp.sys.sun.hardware (you seem to have missed
    that?) which pointed to some general information on NVRAM/clock chips:

    "Dave Mitton" wrote:
    >"Mike" wrote:
    >>My Ultra-5 just died from a dead Clock Battery...

    >Info at: http://www.squirrel.com/squirrel/sun...ostid.faq.html
    >
    >Using the info there, I was able to buy one at Mouser for about $20 a few
    >years ago.
    >
    >Also, I found if you leave the system powered on, after a day or so, the
    >battery may acquire enough charge to boot.

    BTW, that was not my experience, that the battery "recovered". I don't
    think there is any charging circuitry in there. They are just "embedded"
    batteries (like on PC mobos, or digital watches?) that are built into the
    NVRAM/clock chip. Someone/somewhere even explained how to do surgery?

    I did once have a Sparc1 that seemed to work with a semi-bad battery: it
    would reboot with 00:00:...:00 and ff:ff:...:ff field values and time at
    the beginning of the epoch (year 1970). I was able to set the (software)
    time and the system would run. Jumpstart probably wouldn't work, though.

    I bought my replacement NVRAM/clock chip (and other parts) from MemoryX
    (www.memoryx.net), but many people have reported buying them from Mouser.

    --
    Juhan Leemet
    Logicognosis, Inc.

  3. Re: sparc 20 workstation's clock

    Thanks for the input. I will try the Mouser.

    I did miss the hardware post message site.

    "Juhan Leemet" wrote in message
    newsan.2004.06.12.19.33.12.172962@logicognosis.com...
    > On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 09:46:16 -0400, cljlk wrote:
    > > I have Sparc20 with Solaris 2.5 operating system. This workstation was

    in
    > > storage for years.
    > > The time stay at year 1970. I have try to change the time by using a

    command
    > > "clock", but failed.
    > >
    > > Is the time caused by "battery is too old"? If I have to replace a new
    > > battery, would
    > >
    > > You please provide me some tip, such as where and how.
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance.

    > There was a recent post in comp.sys.sun.hardware (you seem to have missed
    > that?) which pointed to some general information on NVRAM/clock chips:
    >
    > "Dave Mitton" wrote:
    > >"Mike" wrote:
    > >>My Ultra-5 just died from a dead Clock Battery...

    > >Info at: http://www.squirrel.com/squirrel/sun...ostid.faq.html
    > >
    > >Using the info there, I was able to buy one at Mouser for about $20 a few
    > >years ago.
    > >
    > >Also, I found if you leave the system powered on, after a day or so, the
    > >battery may acquire enough charge to boot.

    > BTW, that was not my experience, that the battery "recovered". I don't
    > think there is any charging circuitry in there. They are just "embedded"
    > batteries (like on PC mobos, or digital watches?) that are built into the
    > NVRAM/clock chip. Someone/somewhere even explained how to do surgery?
    >
    > I did once have a Sparc1 that seemed to work with a semi-bad battery: it
    > would reboot with 00:00:...:00 and ff:ff:...:ff field values and time at
    > the beginning of the epoch (year 1970). I was able to set the (software)
    > time and the system would run. Jumpstart probably wouldn't work, though.
    >
    > I bought my replacement NVRAM/clock chip (and other parts) from MemoryX
    > (www.memoryx.net), but many people have reported buying them from Mouser.
    >
    > --
    > Juhan Leemet
    > Logicognosis, Inc.

  4. Re: sparc 20 workstation's clock

    In comp.sys.sun.misc Juhan Leemet wrote:
    [snip]
    > I bought my replacement NVRAM/clock chip (and other parts) from MemoryX
    > (www.memoryx.net), but many people have reported buying them from Mouser.

    If you don't want to go that route, you can replace the battery. This
    website details one approach: http://www.belgers.com/computers/nvram/.
    I've done this surgery several times with excellent results. Instead of
    directly soldering a battery or using AA batteries, I epoxy a CR2032
    button cell holder on top. I then dab epoxy over the gouges I make and
    solder connections.

    --
    David Griffith

  5. Re: sparc 20 workstation's clock

    dgriffi@cs.csbuak.edu wrote in message news:...
    > In comp.sys.sun.misc Juhan Leemet wrote:
    > [snip]
    > > I bought my replacement NVRAM/clock chip (and other parts) from MemoryX
    > > (www.memoryx.net), but many people have reported buying them from Mouser.

    > If you don't want to go that route, you can replace the battery. This
    > website details one approach: http://www.belgers.com/computers/nvram/.
    > I've done this surgery several times with excellent results. Instead of
    > directly soldering a battery or using AA batteries, I epoxy a CR2032
    > button cell holder on top. I then dab epoxy over the gouges I make and
    > solder connections.

    With refence to the 'date' command mentioned in other posts (sorry I
    can't post direclty below them), I know what can sometimes be a
    problem:

    If you have some GNU utils, they have a 'date' command too. Make sure
    you are looking at the Solaris man page for date, and not the GNU one.
    Then try

    % which date

    and see that you are not finding a GNU one. I've done a similar
    mistake (with 'find', not date) before. The syntax can be different.

    dave k

  6. Help me Please!!

    Hi ALL!!
    I want to buy used machine.
    Model Name and Manufactor is TANDEM CM-1499
    (Non-Stop Unix Integrity Machine).

    Call me Price per System
    Give me message by e-mail, Please

    E-Mail : new0901@hanmail.net