Help-Unix System Administration - Unix

This is a discussion on Help-Unix System Administration - Unix ; I need some help in the toipcs of unix system administration and those are:--Recovering from system crash, Monitoring System activity, Accounting of system usage &billing, and Installing printers.....

  1. Help-Unix System Administration

    I need some help in the toipcs of unix system administration and those
    are:--Recovering from system crash, Monitoring System activity,
    Accounting of system usage &billing, and Installing printers..

  2. Re: Help-Unix System Administration

    On 21 Feb 2007 00:29:39 -0800, reetvadhwa@gmail.com wrote:

    > I need some help in the toipcs of unix system administration and those
    > are:--Recovering from system crash, Monitoring System activity,
    > Accounting of system usage &billing, and Installing printers..

    If you post sensible questions here then all of those are things you may
    find help with on this newsgroup.
    With respect though your post doesn't actually offer anything to hang an
    answer on.
    May I suggest you go read this...

    I know it's a lot, but if you take a look at it and then phrase your posts
    here as questions you stand a good chance of getting some help.
    Adam

  3. Re: Help-Unix System Administration

    On 21 Feb 2007 00:29:39 -0800 reetvadhwa@gmail.com wrote:
    > I need some help in the toipcs of unix system administration and those
    > are:--Recovering from system crash, Monitoring System activity,
    > Accounting of system usage &billing, and Installing printers..

    www.ora.com

  4. Re: Help-Unix System Administration

    On 21 Feb 2007 00:29:39 -0800, reetvadhwa@gmail.com wrote:
    > I need some help in the toipcs of unix system administration and those
    > are:--Recovering from system crash, Monitoring System activity,
    > Accounting of system usage &billing, and Installing printers..

    Boy, I hope you're not the guy I'm interviewing this friday, it sounds
    like something right out of a job description...

    What are you actually trying to fix? Or, are you just looking for an
    overall description of what we do, or what's the goal here?

  5. Re: Help-Unix System Administration

    reetvad...@gmail.com wrote:

    > I need some help in the toipcs of unix system administration and those
    > are:--Recovering from system crash, Monitoring System activity,
    > Accounting of system usage &billing, and Installing printers..

    The SysAdmins who frequent CUA are happy to ask specific questions,
    but what you asked is so general I can't even tell if you are asking
    how
    you can become a sysadmin or how to interview to hire a sysadmin.

  6. Re: Help-Unix System Administration

    reetvadhwa@gmail.com wrote:
    > I need some help in the toipcs of unix system administration and those
    > are:--Recovering from system crash, Monitoring System activity,
    > Accounting of system usage &billing, and Installing printers..

    Recovering from system crash
    To the extent feasible, analyze why the crash occurred and take
    suitable measures to prevent recurrence; restart system

    Monitoring System activity
    sar, top, vmstat, iostat, netstat, etc.

    Accounting of system usage &billing
    sar, "process accounting", etc.

    Installing printers
    lpadmin, /etc/printcap, CUPS, etc.

    Read the relevant documentation. Some of the applicable information
    may be highly dependent upon your particular operating system flavor.

    Read some good books.
    http://www.oreilly.com/pub/topic/linux
    http://www.admin.com/Pages/Purchase.html

    Read The Fine Manual (RTFM)
    Search The Fine Web (STFW)
    Google Is Your Friend (GIYF)

    Asking more specific and focused questions may get you more specific
    and focused answers. Asking very broad general questions may just get
    you very broad general answers.

    How To Ask Questions The Smart Way