consolidating remote installations? - Unix

This is a discussion on consolidating remote installations? - Unix ; Hello, is it possible to consolidate the remote installations of two or more unices in one box? right now we are having jumpstart for solaris, ignite for hpux, and upcoming kickstart for red hat linux... my question is there any ...

  1. consolidating remote installations?

    Hello,
    is it possible to consolidate the remote installations of
    two or more unices in one box? right now we are having jumpstart for
    solaris, ignite for hpux, and upcoming kickstart for red hat linux...
    my question is there any way i could find a way to pack 2 or even all
    of them from one box which can serve its purpose?

    Thanks,
    Harshal

  2. Re: consolidating remote installations?

    On 17 Feb 2007 11:19:24 -0800, Harshal wrote:
    > Hello,
    > is it possible to consolidate the remote installations of
    > two or more unices in one box? right now we are having jumpstart for
    > solaris, ignite for hpux, and upcoming kickstart for red hat linux...
    > my question is there any way i could find a way to pack 2 or even all
    > of them from one box which can serve its purpose?

    No reason you couldn't use a linux box as a jumpstart server...

  3. Re: consolidating remote installations?

    Begin <1171739964.615433.189450@a75g2000cwd.googlegroups. com>
    On 2007-02-17, Harshal wrote:
    > is it possible to consolidate the remote installations of
    > two or more unices in one box? right now we are having jumpstart for
    > solaris, ignite for hpux, and upcoming kickstart for red hat linux...
    > my question is there any way i could find a way to pack 2 or even all
    > of them from one box which can serve its purpose?

    I don't know the specifics, as the last time I played with this was on
    HP9000/400 and sun4, but ultimately all those boil down to feeding a box
    the right packets and the right data. The data is usually transfered
    over nfs or tftp, or both. The right packets nowadays usually come down
    to DHCP pointing to the appropriate next-hop server. So, find out what
    your sun, hp, and i386 machines really want, and give it to them.
    It's that simple.