user accounts in a global environment - Unix

This is a discussion on user accounts in a global environment - Unix ; Hello, I am interested in your strategy for handling engineer user accounts when the engineer needs to log in to resources in a variety of locals in a global environment for performance reasons. The engineers home directory and normal environment ...

  1. user accounts in a global environment

    Hello,

    I am interested in your strategy for handling engineer user accounts when
    the engineer needs to log in to resources in a variety of locals in a global
    environment for performance reasons. The engineers home directory and
    normal environment is local to where the engineer is sitting. It is a Unix
    environment.

    Do you use WAN acceleration?
    Do you have multiple home directories and mess with auto-mount depending on
    where they log in?
    What do you do and how do you manage it?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: user accounts in a global environment

    "Randal Kornelsen" wrote:

    > I am interested in your strategy for handling engineer user accounts when
    > the engineer needs to log in to resources in a variety of locals in a global
    > environment for performance reasons. The engineers home directory and
    > normal environment is local to where the engineer is sitting. It is a Unix
    > environment.
    >
    > Do you use WAN acceleration?

    Cisco NFS caching box or competing brand.

    > Do you have multiple home directories and mess with auto-mount depending on
    > where they log in?

    Consider AFS which supports local caching of remote directory trees
    and
    backline resync to the original.

+ Reply to Thread