help with /etc/filesystems - Unix

This is a discussion on help with /etc/filesystems - Unix ; Hi all, I am moving from AIX to Solaris, on AIX we use /etc/filesystem to centralizes file system characteristics. Most of the file system maintenance commands take their defaults from this file. Here is the AIX docs link http://www.unet.univie.ac.at/aix/fil...ilesystems.htm Can ...

  1. help with /etc/filesystems

    Hi all,
    I am moving from AIX to Solaris, on AIX we use /etc/filesystem to
    centralizes file system characteristics. Most of the file system
    maintenance commands take their defaults from this file. Here is the
    AIX docs link
    http://www.unet.univie.ac.at/aix/fil...ilesystems.htm

    Can some body explain what is the similar configuration file on
    Solaris,

    Thanks in advance,
    Seema Rao

  2. Re: help with /etc/filesystems

    "seema" wrote:

    > I am moving from AIX to Solaris, on AIX we use /etc/filesystem to
    > centralizes file system characteristics. Most of the file system
    > maintenance commands take their defaults from this file. Here is the
    > AIX docs linkhttp://www.unet.univie.ac.at/aix/files/aixfiles/filesystems.htm
    >
    > Can some body explain what is the similar configuration file on
    > Solaris,

    Rather than answering one of many questions, I will point you to a
    table of many equivalencies.

    http://bhami.com/rosetta.html The UNIX Rosetta Stone by Bruce Hamilton

  3. Re: help with /etc/filesystems

    On 2007-02-05 11:50:30 -0500, "seema" said:

    > Hi all,
    > I am moving from AIX to Solaris, on AIX we use /etc/filesystem to
    > centralizes file system characteristics. Most of the file system
    > maintenance commands take their defaults from this file. Here is the
    > AIX docs link
    > http://www.unet.univie.ac.at/aix/fil...ilesystems.htm
    >
    > Can some body explain what is the similar configuration file on
    > Solaris,
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Seema Rao

    There is no exact equivalent in Solaris. Standard ufs file system
    management commands are in /usr/bin and /usr/sbin, configuration info
    is in /etc/vfstab and the devices are in /dev/dsk and /dev/rdsk

    If you are running Veritas volume management and Veritas file system,
    then they are in /dev/vx/dsk and /dev/vx/rdsk, the commands are ii
    VRTSvxvm which is probably in /opt and the state database is
    maintained by Veritas in multiple locations and also on the devices
    them selves. The volumes are entered in /etc/vfstab

    If you are using Solaris Volume Managment, the commands are in
    /usr/sbin and are the meta series of commands (metadb, metastat etc. )
    and the state infomration is configured accross multiple drives. The
    mount information is in /etc/vfstab.

    ZFS is another thing altogether and you use the commands zpool and zfs
    to configure, maintain and display the volume information. zfs stores
    the data in the pool. No entries are made in /etc/vfstab

    --
    Jim

+ Reply to Thread