Need widget to watch for new processes on SunOS/Solaris - Unix

This is a discussion on Need widget to watch for new processes on SunOS/Solaris - Unix ; Hello world: The box I'm talking about is running SunOS 5.5.1 and is a file server. We have any number of Sparc workstations, using NFS, that access this file server. Trying to find out if a long, complicated software build ...

  1. Need widget to watch for new processes on SunOS/Solaris

    Hello world:

    The box I'm talking about is running SunOS 5.5.1 and is a file server.
    We have any number of Sparc workstations, using NFS, that access this
    file server.

    Trying to find out if a long, complicated software build running on the
    clients is running anything on the file server.

    So, I'd like a way to monitor the server and capture any and all new
    processes that start during the build. Wouldn't mind having something
    like this for Solaris 2.6 and up, also.

    Thx.

  2. Re: Need widget to watch for new processes on SunOS/Solaris

    In comp.unix.solaris CuJoe wrote:
    > Hello world:

    > The box I'm talking about is running SunOS 5.5.1 and is a file server.
    > We have any number of Sparc workstations, using NFS, that access this
    > file server.

    > Trying to find out if a long, complicated software build running on the
    > clients is running anything on the file server.

    You mean reading the files from the file server? (Presumably they don't
    run any processes *on* the file server).

    > So, I'd like a way to monitor the server and capture any and all new
    > processes that start during the build. Wouldn't mind having something
    > like this for Solaris 2.6 and up, also.

    If you mean processes starting on the clients, no. You can't. The NFS
    server doesn't have access to that information. Even on the client,
    there's no obvious interface to ask that question.

    --
    Darren Dunham ddunham@taos.com

  3. Re: Need widget to watch for new processes on SunOS/Solaris

    CuJoe wrote:

    > The box I'm talking about is running SunOS 5.5.1 and is a file server.

    Stone knives and bear skins that is such an old version.

    > We have any number of Sparc workstations, using NFS, that access this
    > file server.
    >
    > Trying to find out if a long, complicated software build running on the
    > clients is running anything on the file server.

    Using NFS normally all that happens on the server end is the nfsd
    processes supply filesystem data and no other processes are
    started. I take it you want to confirm that this is all that happens?

    > So, I'd like a way to monitor the server and capture any and all new
    > processes that start during the build. Wouldn't mind having something
    > like this for Solaris 2.6 and up, also.

    Start with the man page for "accton" and get more disks to hold the
    data
    it generates.

  4. Re: Need widget to watch for new processes on SunOS/Solaris

    On 2007-02-01 20:11:26 -0500, CuJoe said:

    > Hello world:
    >
    > The box I'm talking about is running SunOS 5.5.1 and is a file server.
    > We have any number of Sparc workstations, using NFS, that access this
    > file server.
    >
    > Trying to find out if a long, complicated software build running on the
    > clients is running anything on the file server.
    >
    > So, I'd like a way to monitor the server and capture any and all new
    > processes that start during the build. Wouldn't mind having something
    > like this for Solaris 2.6 and up, also.
    >
    > Thx.

    If the only access is through NFS then the clients can't be running
    anything on the server. If they are read/writing a lot of data, then
    the server many be busy... but that is merely NFS.

    I use a product called up.time to monitor my Solaris machines. It is
    client/server system which uses SAR and other OS utilities to collect
    and store data on aperiodic basis. It runs a small webserver and an
    app which extracts and displays data about all kinds of events
    processes on each client. It is not free. Searhc for up.time software
    ..
    --
    Jim

+ Reply to Thread