copying files from shell to network drive - Unix

This is a discussion on copying files from shell to network drive - Unix ; [Previously posted in wrong cat, sorry for spam] Hi, I am a new unix admin. My webserver hard drive is filling up quick and I am trying to move some files to a networked windows server that has a burner ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: copying files from shell to network drive

  1. copying files from shell to network drive

    [Previously posted in wrong cat, sorry for spam]

    Hi, I am a new unix admin.

    My webserver hard drive is filling up quick and I am trying to move
    some files to a networked windows server that has a burner to perform
    backup.


    I am not sure the command to pass in the shell to make this happen. in

    windows I would map a path to the computer in question and use the
    console to copy. Do I do something similar to for unix system?


    I am thinking something like...
    $ cp fooboo.tar //winbox1/backup


    or
    $ cp fooboo.tar X:/backup/


    Thanks in advance.


  2. Re: copying files from shell to network drive

    thor wrote:

    > I am not sure the command to pass in the shell to make this happen. in
    >
    > windows I would map a path to the computer in question and use the
    > console to copy. Do I do something similar to for unix system?
    >
    >
    > I am thinking something like...
    > $ cp fooboo.tar //winbox1/backup


    If you're using smbfs (or whatever the name is) to mount windows shares on
    unix box, or do this manualy then yes, you can simply copy the file. You
    can also use smbclient (which is ftp like) to copy the file to windows
    shares, though I'm not sure whether it can run in non-interactive mode. In
    both cases you'll have to use samba.

    You can also set some ftp server on windows machine...
    --
    Cezary Morga

  3. Re: copying files from shell to network drive

    illegal option -t ?


    # mount -t smbfs -o username=administrator,password=fooboo
    //file1/marketing/web /opt/thor
    mount: illegal option -- t
    Usage:
    mount [-v | -p]
    mount [-F FSType] [-V] [current_options] [-o specific_options]
    {special | mount_point}
    mount [-F FSType] [-V] [current_options] [-o specific_options]
    special mount_point
    mount -a [-F FSType ] [-V] [current_options] [-o specific_options]
    [mount_point ...]
    #
    -------------------------



    On Jan 24, 2:17 pm, Cezary Morga wrote:
    > thor wrote:
    > > I am not sure the command to pass in the shell to make this happen. in

    >
    > > windows I would map a path to the computer in question and use the
    > > console to copy. Do I do something similar to for unix system?

    >
    > > I am thinking something like...
    > > $ cp fooboo.tar //winbox1/backupIf you're using smbfs (or whatever the name is) to mount windows shares on

    > unix box, or do this manualy then yes, you can simply copy the file. You
    > can also use smbclient (which is ftp like) to copy the file to windows
    > shares, though I'm not sure whether it can run in non-interactive mode. In
    > both cases you'll have to use samba.
    >
    > You can also set some ftp server on windows machine...
    > --
    > Cezary Morga



  4. Re: copying files from shell to network drive


    That's an odd mount command to my eyes anyway.

    Looks like your mount using -F for what most use -t for. Consult your
    man page for details, but smbfs is the file system type.


    "thor" writes:
    > illegal option -t ?
    >
    >
    > # mount -t smbfs -o username=administrator,password=fooboo
    > //file1/marketing/web /opt/thor
    > mount: illegal option -- t
    > Usage:
    > mount [-v | -p]
    > mount [-F FSType] [-V] [current_options] [-o specific_options]
    > {special | mount_point}
    > mount [-F FSType] [-V] [current_options] [-o specific_options]
    > special mount_point
    > mount -a [-F FSType ] [-V] [current_options] [-o specific_options]
    > [mount_point ...]
    > #
    > -------------------------
    >
    >
    >
    > On Jan 24, 2:17 pm, Cezary Morga wrote:
    > > thor wrote:
    > > > I am not sure the command to pass in the shell to make this happen. in

    > >
    > > > windows I would map a path to the computer in question and use the
    > > > console to copy. Do I do something similar to for unix system?

    > >
    > > > I am thinking something like...
    > > > $ cp fooboo.tar //winbox1/backupIf you're using smbfs (or whatever the name is) to mount windows shares on

    > > unix box, or do this manualy then yes, you can simply copy the file. You
    > > can also use smbclient (which is ftp like) to copy the file to windows
    > > shares, though I'm not sure whether it can run in non-interactive mode. In
    > > both cases you'll have to use samba.
    > >
    > > You can also set some ftp server on windows machine...
    > > --
    > > Cezary Morga

    >


    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  5. Re: copying files from shell to network drive

    I tried with -F and here is the error.

    "mount: operation not applicable to FSType smbfs"

    I don't know anything about Samba if that has any bearing, really just
    a newbie. Appreciate the help.

    On Jan 25, 9:27 am, comph...@toddh.net (Todd H.) wrote:
    > That's an odd mount command to my eyes anyway.
    >
    > Looks like your mount using -F for what most use -t for. Consult your
    > man page for details, but smbfs is the file system type.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > "thor" writes:
    > > illegal option -t ?

    >
    > > # mount -t smbfs -o username=administrator,password=fooboo
    > > //file1/marketing/web /opt/thor
    > > mount: illegal option -- t
    > > Usage:
    > > mount [-v | -p]
    > > mount [-F FSType] [-V] [current_options] [-o specific_options]
    > > {special | mount_point}
    > > mount [-F FSType] [-V] [current_options] [-o specific_options]
    > > special mount_point
    > > mount -a [-F FSType ] [-V] [current_options] [-o specific_options]
    > > [mount_point ...]
    > > #
    > > -------------------------

    >
    > > On Jan 24, 2:17 pm, Cezary Morga wrote:
    > > > thor wrote:
    > > > > I am not sure the command to pass in the shell to make this happen. in

    >
    > > > > windows I would map a path to the computer in question and use the
    > > > > console to copy. Do I do something similar to for unix system?

    >
    > > > > I am thinking something like...
    > > > > $ cp fooboo.tar //winbox1/backupIf you're using smbfs (or whatever the name is) to mount windows shares on
    > > > unix box, or do this manualy then yes, you can simply copy the file. You
    > > > can also use smbclient (which is ftp like) to copy the file to windows
    > > > shares, though I'm not sure whether it can run in non-interactive mode. In
    > > > both cases you'll have to use samba.

    >
    > > > You can also set some ftp server on windows machine...
    > > > --
    > > > Cezary Morga--

    > Todd H.http://www.toddh.net/- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -



  6. Re: copying files from shell to network drive

    "thor" wrote:
    >
    > I don't know anything about Samba if that has any bearing, really just
    > a newbie. Appreciate the help.


    I suggest three steps:

    1) Go to your Windows box and use ftp to pull the files there then
    delete
    them on the Unix side to free up space and give you time.

    2) Learn what options are available through Samba. The more common
    use is to use the server side of Samba on the Unix end to export your
    directory tree as SMD/CIFS then map it as a shared drive on the Windows
    end.

    3) Learn more Samba and get smbfs working so you can push the files
    from the Unix side to make scripting easier.


  7. Re: copying files from shell to network drive

    On Jan 25, 1:07 pm, "thor" wrote:
    > I tried with -F and here is the error.
    >
    > "mount: operation not applicable to FSType smbfs"
    >
    > I don't know anything about Samba if that has any bearing, really just
    > a newbie. Appreciate the help.
    >
    > On Jan 25, 9:27 am, comph...@toddh.net (Todd H.) wrote:
    >
    > > That's an odd mount command to my eyes anyway.

    >
    > > Looks like your mount using -F for what most use -t for. Consult your
    > > man page for details, but smbfs is the file system type.

    >
    > > "thor" writes:
    > > > illegal option -t ?

    >
    > > > # mount -t smbfs -o username=administrator,password=fooboo
    > > > //file1/marketing/web /opt/thor
    > > > mount: illegal option -- t
    > > > Usage:
    > > > mount [-v | -p]
    > > > mount [-F FSType] [-V] [current_options] [-o specific_options]
    > > > {special | mount_point}
    > > > mount [-F FSType] [-V] [current_options] [-o specific_options]
    > > > special mount_point
    > > > mount -a [-F FSType ] [-V] [current_options] [-o specific_options]
    > > > [mount_point ...]
    > > > #
    > > > -------------------------

    >
    > > > On Jan 24, 2:17 pm, Cezary Morga wrote:
    > > > > thor wrote:
    > > > > > I am not sure the command to pass in the shell to make this happen. in

    >
    > > > > > windows I would map a path to the computer in question and use the
    > > > > > console to copy. Do I do something similar to for unix system?

    >
    > > > > > I am thinking something like...
    > > > > > $ cp fooboo.tar //winbox1/backupIf you're using smbfs (or whatever the name is) to mount windows shares on
    > > > > unix box, or do this manualy then yes, you can simply copy the file. You
    > > > > can also use smbclient (which is ftp like) to copy the file to windows
    > > > > shares, though I'm not sure whether it can run in non-interactive mode. In
    > > > > both cases you'll have to use samba.

    >
    > > > > You can also set some ftp server on windows machine...
    > > > > --
    > > > > Cezary Morga--

    > > Todd H.http://www.toddh.net/-Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -


    Not sure if this will help you or not, but i do the same thing that
    you are talking about. I run backups and then copy them off to a
    windows share by doing the following...

    I created a directory to mount the share to and then mount the share

    # mkdir -p /mnt/joescomp/joe
    # mount -t cifs //joescomp/joe -o username=joe /mnt/joescomp/joe

    The just cp or mv files to that location...

    Hope this helps.


  8. Re: copying files from shell to network drive

    Sambuh the Monkey was never naughty:
    >
    > Not sure if this will help you or not, but i do the same thing that
    > you are talking about. I run backups and then copy them off to a
    > windows share by doing the following...
    >
    > I created a directory to mount the share to and then mount the share
    >
    > # mkdir -p /mnt/joescomp/joe
    > # mount -t cifs //joescomp/joe -o username=joe /mnt/joescomp/joe
    >
    > The just cp or mv files to that location...


    Or install the cygwin (spit) SSH daemon on the windows box and use scp
    to copy the file over.

    Choobs

    --
    Sir Chewbury Gubbins
    http://www.nelefa.org - Gaming and Ramblings from the Shiny part of the world

    Abu the monkey was never naughty.

+ Reply to Thread