Solaris 10 - Console login hangs - Unix

This is a discussion on Solaris 10 - Console login hangs - Unix ; Gurus, need your expert advice! Sun V490, solaris 10, interfaces are ce0, 1, 2, 3. We use ce0 and ce3 for ipmp and virtual ip. Networking team decided to use .1q trunking and we have to rename the interfaces to ...

  1. Solaris 10 - Console login hangs

    Gurus, need your expert advice!

    Sun V490, solaris 10, interfaces are ce0, 1, 2, 3. We use ce0 and ce3
    for ipmp and virtual ip.

    Networking team decided to use .1q trunking and we have to rename the
    interfaces to reflect the vlan id.

    To do this -

    1. We modify /etc/hosts to reflect new interface names (ce0 to ce2000
    and ce3 to ce2003)
    2. We renamed interfaces files (/etc/hostname.ce0 and ce3 to
    /etc/hostname.ce2000 and ce2003)
    3. We edit /etc/hostname.ce2000 and /etc/hostname.ce2003 file to
    reflect the name of new interface name (lucas-ce0-ipmp to
    llucas-ce2000-ipmp and so)
    4. Reboot

    After I reboot the server, it boots fine without much fuss and gives me
    a login prompt through console. However, when I try to login using a
    local user id, it just hangs after taking the password. I can't login
    remotely (telnet/ssh) as well (no prompt at all). Physical IPs for both
    interfaces and virtual IP - all pings. The only way I can access the
    system is through single user mode.

    If I revert back the changes and network team reverts their port
    settings to bring it back to original configuration, I can login
    without any problem. Any idea what might be wrong?

    ifconfig -a doesnt show any interface except lo0. Any clue, what I am
    missing?
    Ketan

  2. Re: Solaris 10 - Console login hangs

    K2 wrote:

    > Sun V490, solaris 10, interfaces are ce0, 1, 2, 3. We use ce0 and ce3
    > for ipmp and virtual ip.
    >
    > Networking team decided to use .1q trunking and we have to rename the
    > interfaces to reflect the vlan id.
    >
    > To do this -
    >
    > 1. We modify /etc/hosts to reflect new interface names (ce0 to ce2000
    > and ce3 to ce2003)

    > After I reboot the server, it boots fine without much fuss and gives me
    > a login prompt through console. However, when I try to login using a
    > local user id, it just hangs after taking the password. I can't login
    > remotely (telnet/ssh) as well (no prompt at all). Physical IPs for both
    > interfaces and virtual IP - all pings. The only way I can access the
    > system is through single user mode.

    Since ping works then layer 3 works. Since services don't work
    then layer 4 does not work. Look to the socket config files under
    /etc/net. For that matter look for many occurances of the changed
    name:

    find /etc -type f -print | xargs grep $HOSTNAME | more

+ Reply to Thread