Edited /etc/vfstab for mirroring, rebooted and system won't boot! - Unix

This is a discussion on Edited /etc/vfstab for mirroring, rebooted and system won't boot! - Unix ; Hello, I was trying to setup a RAID-1 (mirroring) on a sunfire V210. I did create the replicas in /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s3 (which I labeled /mirror, can replicas be in filesysems?), initialized the mirrors, edited the /etc/vfstab and rebooted! Now, the system ...

  1. Edited /etc/vfstab for mirroring, rebooted and system won't boot!

    Hello,

    I was trying to setup a RAID-1 (mirroring) on a sunfire V210. I did
    create the replicas in /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s3 (which I labeled /mirror, can
    replicas be in filesysems?), initialized the mirrors, edited the
    /etc/vfstab and rebooted! Now, the system can't find /usr.

    My /etc/vfstab before editing for RAID-1

    ---
    #device device mount FS fsck mount
    mount
    #to mount to fsck point type pass at boot
    options
    #
    fd - /dev/fd fd - no -
    /proc - /proc proc - no -
    /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s1 - - swap - no -
    /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0 / ufs 1
    no -
    /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s4 /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s4 /usr ufs 1
    no -
    /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s5 /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s5 /var ufs 1
    no -
    /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s7 /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s7 /export/home ufs
    2 yes -
    /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s3 /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s3 /mirror ufs 2
    yes -
    /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s6 /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s6 /opt ufs 2
    yes -
    swap - /tmp tmpfs - yes -
    ---

    My edited /etc/vfstab for RAID-1

    ---
    #device device mount FS fsck mount
    mount
    #to mount to fsck point type pass at boot
    options
    #
    fd - /dev/fd fd - no -
    /proc - /proc proc - no -
    /dev/md/dsk/d1 - - swap - no -
    /dev/md/dsk/d0 /dev/md/rdsk/d0 / ufs 1 no -
    /dev/md/dsk/d4 /dev/md/rdsk/d4 /usr ufs 1 no -
    /dev/md/dsk/d5 /dev/md/rdsk/d5 /var ufs 1 no -
    /dev/md/dsk/d7 /dev/md/rdsk/d7 /export/home ufs 2
    yes -
    /dev/md/dsk/d6 /dev/md/rdsk/d6 /opt ufs 2 yes -
    swap - /tmp tmpfs - yes -
    ---

    Here the log of my booting screen follows:

    ---
    Rebooting with command: boot
    Boot device: disk File and args:
    SunOS Release 5.9 Version Generic_112233-07 64-bit
    Copyright 1983-2003 Sun Microsystems, Inc. All rights reserved.
    Use is subject to license terms.
    WARNING: forceload of misc/md_trans failed
    WARNING: forceload of misc/md_raid failed
    WARNING: forceload of misc/md_hotspares failed
    WARNING: forceload of misc/md_sp failed
    Hardware watchdog enabled
    configuring IPv4 interfaces: bge0.
    Hostname: test.testserv.org
    mount: /dev/md/dsk/d4 no such device
    /sbin/rcS: /usr/sbin/devfsadm: not found
    /sbin/rcS: /usr/bin/loadkeys: not found
    /etc/rcS.d/S35svm.init: rm: not found
    /etc/rcS.d/S35svm.init: grep: not found
    WARNING: /proc could not be mounted
    /sbin/swapadd: expr: not found
    /sbin/swapadd: swap: not found

    syncing file systems... done
    Program terminated
    {0} ok

    I understand that there must have something in /etc/vfstab is missing.
    Where have I gone wrong? How can I edit back that /etc/vfstab file?

    TIA

    --
    Raqueeb Hassan
    Bangladesh

  2. Re: Edited /etc/vfstab for mirroring, rebooted and system won't boot!

    Raqueeb Hassan wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I was trying to setup a RAID-1 (mirroring) on a sunfire V210. I did
    > create the replicas in /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s3 (which I labeled /mirror, can
    > replicas be in filesysems?), initialized the mirrors, edited the
    > /etc/vfstab and rebooted! Now, the system can't find /usr.

    > /dev/md/dsk/d4 /dev/md/rdsk/d4 /usr ufs 1 no -

    > mount: /dev/md/dsk/d4 no such device

    Are you sure you created d4? Might you have typed its name wrong when
    creating it?

    > TIA
    >

    > --
    > Raqueeb Hassan
    > Bangladesh

  3. Re: Edited /etc/vfstab for mirroring, rebooted and system won't boot!

    CJT wrote:

    > Raqueeb Hassan wrote:
    >
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I was trying to setup a RAID-1 (mirroring) on a sunfire V210. I did
    >> create the replicas in /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s3 (which I labeled /mirror, can
    >> replicas be in filesysems?), initialized the mirrors, edited the
    >> /etc/vfstab and rebooted! Now, the system can't find /usr.

    >> /dev/md/dsk/d4 /dev/md/rdsk/d4 /usr ufs 1
    >> no -

    >> mount: /dev/md/dsk/d4 no such device

    > Are you sure you created d4? Might you have typed its name wrong when
    > creating it?
    >

    >> TIA
    >>

    >> --
    >> Raqueeb Hassan
    >> Bangladesh

    BTW, as for what to do about it, did you try booting with the -s option?

    If that won't work, you can boot off of an installation CD (assuming
    you have a CD drive and appropriate media) or netboot, and stop the
    installation before it does anything unfortunate.

  4. Re: Edited /etc/vfstab for mirroring, rebooted and system won't boot!

    Specifically, you could
    1. {ok} boot cdrom -s
    2. # mount /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 /a
    3. # vi /a/etc/vfstab
    4. # umount /a
    5. # init 6

    Regards
    Victor

  5. Re: Edited /etc/vfstab for mirroring, rebooted and system won't boot!

    In comp.unix.solaris Raqueeb Hassan wrote:
    > Hello,

    > I was trying to setup a RAID-1 (mirroring) on a sunfire V210. I did
    > create the replicas in /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s3 (which I labeled /mirror, can
    > replicas be in filesysems?)

    You can't label a device /mirror. Perhaps you mean that you've placed
    the device in /etc/vfstab with /mirror as a mount point? That would
    be useless unless you also placed a filesystem on the device. Putting
    a filesystem on the same device as your replicas would be a very bad
    idea. You can create a metadevice on the same slice, but I don't
    recommend that.

    , initialized the mirrors

    There are quite a few steps that need to be done in that sentence.
    Without giving details, I'm assuming that this is where you did
    something wrong. 'metastat' output would be helpful.

    , edited the
    > /etc/vfstab and rebooted! Now, the system can't find /usr.

    > I understand that there must have something in /etc/vfstab is missing.
    > Where have I gone wrong? How can I edit back that /etc/vfstab file?

    Boot from cd, mount the root filesystem of the disk somewhere (like
    /a). Edit /a/etc/vfstab and /a/etc/system (comment out any references
    to 'rootvol'), then reboot.

    --
    Darren Dunham ddunham@taos.com

  6. Re: Edited /etc/vfstab for mirroring, rebooted and system won't boot!

    > Boot from cd, mount the root filesystem of the disk somewhere (like
    > /a). Edit /a/etc/vfstab and /a/etc/system (comment out any references
    > to 'rootvol'), then reboot.
    >
    > --
    > Darren Dunham ddunham@taos.com
    > Senior Technical Consultant TAOS http://www.taos.com/
    > Got some Dr Pepper? San Francisco, CA bay area
    > < This line left intentionally blank to confuse you. >

    Thanks everyone for the replies. It worked. I might have messed up with
    the /etc/vfstab ... I reconfigured the whole thing. My current file is
    as follows:

    #device device mount FS fsck mount
    mount
    #to mount to fsck point type pass at boot
    options
    # Commented as original
    fd - /dev/fd fd - no -
    /proc - /proc proc - no -
    #/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s3 - - swap - no -
    /dev/md/dsk/d3 - - swap - no -
    /dev/md/dsk/d0 /dev/md/rdsk/d0 / ufs 1 no -
    #/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s1 /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s1 /var ufs 1 no
    -
    /dev/md/dsk/d1 /dev/md/rdsk/d1 /var ufs 1 no -
    #/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s7 /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s7 /export/home ufs 2
    yes -
    /dev/md/dsk/d7 /dev/md/rdsk/d7 /export/home ufs 2
    yes -
    #/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s5 /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s5 /opt ufs 2
    yes -
    /dev/md/dsk/d5 /dev/md/rdsk/d5 /opt ufs 2 yes
    -
    swap - /tmp tmpfs - yes -

    Now, I have two replicas in c0t0d0s4 and c0t0d0s6, how can I test the
    replicas working like the integrity checks?

    TIA

    --
    Raqueeb Hassan
    Bangladesh

  7. Re: Edited /etc/vfstab for mirroring, rebooted and system won't boot!

    Raqueeb Hassan wrote:

    >> Boot from cd, mount the root filesystem of the disk somewhere (like
    >> /a). Edit /a/etc/vfstab and /a/etc/system (comment out any references
    >> to 'rootvol'), then reboot.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Darren Dunham ddunham@taos.com
    >> Senior Technical Consultant TAOS http://www.taos.com/
    >> Got some Dr Pepper? San Francisco, CA bay area
    >> < This line left intentionally blank to confuse you. >

    > Thanks everyone for the replies. It worked. I might have messed up with
    > the /etc/vfstab ... I reconfigured the whole thing. My current file is
    > as follows:
    >
    > #device device mount FS fsck mount
    > mount
    > #to mount to fsck point type pass at boot
    > options
    > # Commented as original
    > fd - /dev/fd fd - no -
    > /proc - /proc proc - no -
    > #/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s3 - - swap - no -
    > /dev/md/dsk/d3 - - swap - no -
    > /dev/md/dsk/d0 /dev/md/rdsk/d0 / ufs 1 no -
    > #/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s1 /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s1 /var ufs 1 no
    > -
    > /dev/md/dsk/d1 /dev/md/rdsk/d1 /var ufs 1 no -
    > #/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s7 /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s7 /export/home ufs 2
    > yes -
    > /dev/md/dsk/d7 /dev/md/rdsk/d7 /export/home ufs 2
    > yes -
    > #/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s5 /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s5 /opt ufs 2
    > yes -
    > /dev/md/dsk/d5 /dev/md/rdsk/d5 /opt ufs 2 yes
    > -
    > swap - /tmp tmpfs - yes -
    >
    > Now, I have two replicas in c0t0d0s4 and c0t0d0s6, how can I test the
    > replicas working like the integrity checks?
    >
    > TIA

    The / partition's replicas are resyncing at boot.

    When
    metast d30
    has State Okay, then all replica's are in sync.

    --
    Michael Tosch @ hp : com

+ Reply to Thread