Difficulty configuring serial port - Unix

This is a discussion on Difficulty configuring serial port - Unix ; This is my first time being on any of google's groups ever, so sorry in advance if I'm breaking any protocol. I was wondering if anyone knew how to enable a serial port on an NCR Unix machine so that ...

  1. Difficulty configuring serial port

    This is my first time being on any of google's groups ever, so sorry in
    advance if I'm breaking any protocol.

    I was wondering if anyone knew how to enable a serial port on an NCR
    Unix machine so that it can be logged into.

    This machine is definitely pre-year-2000. Uname -r outputs 4.0 and
    uname -a outputs:
    UNIX_SV gtp 4.0 3.0 3433, 3434, 3432, 3437-R i486(TM)-MCA

    the dev directory has lots of items, including:
    lan0 to lan 63, pts000 to pts255, rd0 and others with the rfd0 prefix,
    sxt000 to sxt071, sxto000 to sxto071, tty, tty00, tty00h, tty00s,
    tty01, tty01h, tty01s, vt00 to vt08, and vtmon. There's more but maybe
    that's enough for now.

    so far I've tried things like /sbin/getty /dev/tty00 9600 vt100 &
    and /sbin/getty /dev/tty01 9600 vt100 &
    which doesn't create any complaints from the machine, but I still
    can't login via procomm plus.

    Any suggestions or thoughts?

  2. Re: Difficulty configuring serial port

    "dan" said:
    >This is my first time being on any of google's groups ever, so sorry in
    >advance if I'm breaking any protocol.
    >
    >I was wondering if anyone knew how to enable a serial port on an NCR
    >Unix machine so that it can be logged into.
    >
    >This machine is definitely pre-year-2000. Uname -r outputs 4.0 and
    >uname -a outputs:
    >UNIX_SV gtp 4.0 3.0 3433, 3434, 3432, 3437-R i486(TM)-MCA

    >so far I've tried things like /sbin/getty /dev/tty00 9600 vt100 &
    >and /sbin/getty /dev/tty01 9600 vt100 &
    >which doesn't create any complaints from the machine, but I still
    >can't login via procomm plus.
    >
    >Any suggestions or thoughts?

    NCR Unix as such isn't familiar for me, but overall the getty command
    lines seem reasonable.

    What kind of serial cables do you have? Just three wires? Or three wires
    and locally short-circuited handshakes? Or full configuration, with
    all essential signals connected throughout the wire (TxD, RxD, GND, DTR,
    DSR, CTS, RTS, DCD)? Are you certain of the cable/serial port configuration
    (that whether TxD and RxD should be crossed or straight, and whether they
    are as they should, or not -- and the same for the other signals).

    And yes, in all their simplicity, serial ports and cable wirings can be
    a pain.
    --
    Wolf a.k.a. Juha Laiho Espoo, Finland

  3. Re: Difficulty configuring serial port

    dan wrote:

    > This is my first time being on any of google's groups ever, so sorry in
    > advance if I'm breaking any protocol.

    Call it a UseNet newsgroup and all is well. It's not a google group,
    google is just your displaying server.

    > I was wondering if anyone knew how to enable a serial port on an NCR
    > Unix machine so that it can be logged into.

    First thing you'll want to do is try to echo something and redirect
    the output to that serial line. Does the output show up on your
    terminal? If not you have a lot more work to do. Work out the
    hardware handshaking, baud rate and such:

    echo "hello world" > /dev/tty01

    > This machine is definitely pre-year-2000. Uname -r outputs 4.0 and
    > uname -a outputs:
    > UNIX_SV gtp 4.0 3.0 3433, 3434, 3432, 3437-R i486(TM)-MCA

    I don't know if it's too old but look into /etc/ttytab for settings.
    It should look printcap-style in format.

    > the dev directory has lots of items, including:
    > lan0 to lan 63, pts000 to pts255, rd0 and others with the rfd0 prefix,
    > sxt000 to sxt071, sxto000 to sxto071, tty, tty00, tty00h, tty00s,
    > tty01, tty01h, tty01s, vt00 to vt08, and vtmon. There's more but maybe
    > that's enough for now.

    Also look for cua* and anything else in ttytab.

    > so far I've tried things like /sbin/getty /dev/tty00 9600 vt100 &
    > and /sbin/getty /dev/tty01 9600 vt100 &
    > which doesn't create any complaints from the machine, but I still
    > can't login via procomm plus.

    That's for after you get that first hello world displayed, look at
    /etc/gettytab. It's man page will tell how to activate the login
    without a reboot.

  4. Re: Difficulty configuring serial port

    dan wrote:
    > This is my first time being on any of google's groups ever, so sorry in
    > advance if I'm breaking any protocol.

    First problem: this isn't a Google Group. Welcome to Usenet.

    > I was wondering if anyone knew how to enable a serial port on an NCR
    > Unix machine so that it can be logged into.
    >
    > This machine is definitely pre-year-2000. Uname -r outputs 4.0 and
    > uname -a outputs:
    > UNIX_SV gtp 4.0 3.0 3433, 3434, 3432, 3437-R i486(TM)-MCA
    >
    > the dev directory has lots of items, including:
    > lan0 to lan 63, pts000 to pts255, rd0 and others with the rfd0 prefix,
    > sxt000 to sxt071, sxto000 to sxto071, tty, tty00, tty00h, tty00s,
    > tty01, tty01h, tty01s, vt00 to vt08, and vtmon. There's more but maybe
    > that's enough for now.
    >

    > so far I've tried things like /sbin/getty /dev/tty00 9600 vt100 &
    > and /sbin/getty /dev/tty01 9600 vt100 &
    > which doesn't create any complaints from the machine, but I still
    > can't login via procomm plus.
    >
    > Any suggestions or thoughts?

    If it's the only serial port on the machine, it'll be tty00. Are you
    setting ProcommPlus to run at 9600? I assume you're running a
    serial cable directly from the NCR to a Windows box (laptop?).
    Did you remember to have a null modem in your cabling setup?

    --
    Christopher Mattern

    "Which one you figure tracked us?"
    "The ugly one, sir."
    "...Could you be more specific?"

  5. Re: Difficulty configuring serial port

    thanks so much guys!

    I got it working from the suggestions before.

    It turns out that I thought I was using a null modem cable until I
    actually tested the cable for continuity on certain pins and realized
    that was wrong.

    I first tried typing as root /sbin/getty /dev/tty00 9600 vt100
    but every 300 seconds it would timeout with no actvity, and I couldn't
    login as root on the remote terminal because the other monitor was
    already logged in as root. Whenever I log the initial root out, then
    the serial connection to procomm would drop me.

    After that I had to add an extra line in the /etc/inittab file.
    I added c7:3:respawn:/dev/tty00 9600 vt100
    (even thought the vt100 probably didn't enforce that type of emulation,
    I ended up using AD-90 on Procomm plus) and then issued the "init Q"
    command.
    This allowed me to logout of root while keeping the connection to
    procomm open.

    >From there I could boot the Mentor Operating Environment with no

    problems.

    Although, I was never able to send "hello world" to the terminal via
    echo because it said it couldn't create the file.

    Anyways, thanks so much guys!

    --daniel hazer

    Chris Mattern wrote:
    > dan wrote:
    > > This is my first time being on any of google's groups ever, so sorry in
    > > advance if I'm breaking any protocol.

    > First problem: this isn't a Google Group. Welcome to Usenet.
    >

    > > I was wondering if anyone knew how to enable a serial port on an NCR
    > > Unix machine so that it can be logged into.
    > >
    > > This machine is definitely pre-year-2000. Uname -r outputs 4.0 and
    > > uname -a outputs:
    > > UNIX_SV gtp 4.0 3.0 3433, 3434, 3432, 3437-R i486(TM)-MCA
    > >
    > > the dev directory has lots of items, including:
    > > lan0 to lan 63, pts000 to pts255, rd0 and others with the rfd0 prefix,
    > > sxt000 to sxt071, sxto000 to sxto071, tty, tty00, tty00h, tty00s,
    > > tty01, tty01h, tty01s, vt00 to vt08, and vtmon. There's more but maybe
    > > that's enough for now.
    > >

    > > so far I've tried things like /sbin/getty /dev/tty00 9600 vt100 &
    > > and /sbin/getty /dev/tty01 9600 vt100 &
    > > which doesn't create any complaints from the machine, but I still
    > > can't login via procomm plus.
    > >
    > > Any suggestions or thoughts?
    > >

    > If it's the only serial port on the machine, it'll be tty00. Are you
    > setting ProcommPlus to run at 9600? I assume you're running a
    > serial cable directly from the NCR to a Windows box (laptop?).
    > Did you remember to have a null modem in your cabling setup?
    >
    > --
    > Christopher Mattern
    >
    > "Which one you figure tracked us?"
    > "The ugly one, sir."