boot messages output - Unix

This is a discussion on boot messages output - Unix ; Hi guys, I hope someone can help me on this one. When I boot a Blade 150, the boot messages go to the vga output and once CDE (dtlogin) starts the output goes to the dvi output. How do I ...

  1. boot messages output

    Hi guys,

    I hope someone can help me on this one. When I boot a Blade 150, the
    boot messages go to the vga output and once CDE (dtlogin) starts the
    output goes to the dvi output. How do I direct the boot messages to the
    dvi output? Thanks for the help!

    Mike

  2. Re: boot messages output

    Mike wrote:
    > Hi guys,
    >
    > I hope someone can help me on this one. When I boot a Blade 150, the
    > boot messages go to the vga output and once CDE (dtlogin) starts the
    > output goes to the dvi output. How do I direct the boot messages to the
    > dvi output? Thanks for the help!

    You don't really want to do this, as it'll whack out your display every
    time a message appears. Instead, open a console window in CDE; (xterm
    -C or dtterm -C).

  3. Re: boot messages output

    tkevans@tkevans.com wrote:
    > Mike wrote:
    >
    >>Hi guys,
    >>
    >> I hope someone can help me on this one. When I boot a Blade 150, the
    >>boot messages go to the vga output and once CDE (dtlogin) starts the
    >>output goes to the dvi output. How do I direct the boot messages to the
    >>dvi output? Thanks for the help!

    > You don't really want to do this, as it'll whack out your display every
    > time a message appears. Instead, open a console window in CDE; (xterm
    > -C or dtterm -C).

    We have one monitor attached to the dvi port of the video card. So when
    th system is booting, we have no idea what is happening. So if an error
    occurs, we can't see it.
    I don't think my first message was clear. Is it clear now? I want to be
    able to see the memory test and all the other good stuff that happens
    during a boot and then be able to login in, all using the same
    monitor/video port.

    Thanks.

  4. Re: boot messages output

    In comp.unix.solaris Mike wrote:
    > I hope someone can help me on this one. When I boot a Blade 150, the
    > boot messages go to the vga output and once CDE (dtlogin) starts the
    > output goes to the dvi output. How do I direct the boot messages to the
    > dvi output? Thanks for the help!

    I assume you have an XVR-100 adapter in your Blade ? You're out of
    luck - console output is only supported on the VGA port with this
    card. It's even documented somewhere in the Product Notes of the XVR-100.

    Nevertheless, it's a real nuisance and it never should have been sold
    like that.

    A workaround for the problem is attaching both the VGA and DVI cable
    to the TFT, which in a perfect world is auto-sensing, so it switches
    inputs automatically after Xsun startup. I have that setup with some
    NEC/Samsung TFTs and XVR-100s on Blade 100/1500.

    Otherwise you're left with crawling under the desk and eventually carrying
    an additional monitor over to see console output whenever something's
    wrong. Using the serial console in such cases might be another option.

    mp.
    --
    Systems Administrator | Institute of Scientific Computing | Univ. of Vienna

  5. Re: boot messages output

    Mike wrote:
    > tkevans@tkevans.com wrote:
    > > Mike wrote:
    > >
    > >>Hi guys,
    > >>
    > >> I hope someone can help me on this one. When I boot a Blade 150, the
    > >>boot messages go to the vga output and once CDE (dtlogin) starts the
    > >>output goes to the dvi output. How do I direct the boot messages to the
    > >>dvi output? Thanks for the help!

    > > You don't really want to do this, as it'll whack out your display every
    > > time a message appears. Instead, open a console window in CDE; (xterm
    > > -C or dtterm -C).
    > >

    > We have one monitor attached to the dvi port of the video card. So when
    > th system is booting, we have no idea what is happening. So if an error
    > occurs, we can't see it.
    > I don't think my first message was clear. Is it clear now? I want to be
    > able to see the memory test and all the other good stuff that happens
    > during a boot and then be able to login in, all using the same
    > monitor/video port.
    >
    > Thanks.

    It is not clear what you mean by the " the memory test and all the
    other good stuff that happens during a boot " If you are looking for a
    printed transcript of the openboot diagnostic messages before the OS
    begins running you will have to force the system to use screen/keyboard
    for boot commands and attach a printer to serial port 1 (9600-8N1). if
    you just want to see the diagonostic messages the display already
    shows on the display as the system powers up
    As noted if you write to /dev/console, messages destined for
    /dev/console will trash the CDE screen. By opening a terminal session
    (dtterm) you can look at the contents of /var/adm/messages, which
    contains a transcript of all boot messages and other syslog messages..

+ Reply to Thread