account services? - Unix

This is a discussion on account services? - Unix ; Hello everyone, Every now and then, I need some way to connect from outside our company or university to see if our security settings work. Specifically, I need accounts at other places. How do you folks usually do it? Is ...

  1. account services?

    Hello everyone,

    Every now and then, I need some way to connect from outside our company
    or university to see if our security settings work. Specifically, I
    need accounts at other places. How do you folks usually do it? Is it
    commonly done based on personal network? I'm not clear if there are
    any providers that offer such kind of account services (free even?).

    I'd appreciate any advice.

    Bing

  2. Re: account services?

    In article <1147875400.816080.276270@i39g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>,
    dubing@gmail.com wrote:

    > Hello everyone,
    >
    > Every now and then, I need some way to connect from outside our company
    > or university to see if our security settings work. Specifically, I
    > need accounts at other places. How do you folks usually do it? Is it
    > commonly done based on personal network? I'm not clear if there are
    > any providers that offer such kind of account services (free even?).
    >
    > I'd appreciate any advice.

    Umm, don't you read these newsgroups? At least 2-3 times a week someone
    posts messages to various comp.unix.* groups about "free shells".

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA

  3. Re: account services?

    Barry Margolin wrote:

    > Umm, don't you read these newsgroups? At least 2-3 times a week someone
    > posts messages to various comp.unix.* groups about "free shells".

    Not very often. But I know that's not an excuse for not doing research
    on my own before posting. Based on your hint, I've searched 'free
    shell' through this group and tried the account services provided by
    sdf.lonestar.org. That one requires member fee to be able to use ssh,
    etc. Now I'm thinking it would be great for me to simulate an
    'outside' environment in my local environment. Anyway, thanks for the
    heads-up.

    Bing

  4. Re: account services?

    dubing@gmail.com wrote in
    <1147969877.959208.322260@y43g2000cwc.googlegroups. com> on Thu, May 18 2006
    12:31:

    > Barry Margolin wrote:
    >
    >> Umm, don't you read these newsgroups? At least 2-3 times a week someone
    >> posts messages to various comp.unix.* groups about "free shells".

    > Not very often. But I know that's not an excuse for not doing research
    > on my own before posting. Based on your hint, I've searched 'free
    > shell' through this group and tried the account services provided by
    > sdf.lonestar.org. That one requires member fee to be able to use ssh,
    > etc. Now I'm thinking it would be great for me to simulate an
    > 'outside' environment in my local environment. Anyway, thanks for the
    > heads-up.
    >
    > Bing

    SDF is an excellent resource for the free shell type of service, though they
    run NetBSD. I would like to find a free provider (with no strings
    attached) that provides a Linux shell, just so that I can refer some people
    to a system that isn't my own so that they can work on learning
    Linux-specific things without using my system.

    Anyway, SDF is good. I've been a member of their service for the past five
    years, and I've only seen them have one single outage. They're great with
    response time, and everything there is good.

    - Mike

  5. Re: account services?

    Michael B. Trausch wrote:
    > run NetBSD. I would like to find a free provider (with no strings
    > attached) that provides a Linux shell, just so that I can refer some people
    > to a system that isn't my own so that they can work on learning
    > Linux-specific things without using my system.

    $ ssh -x hackbox.coastfx.com. 'umask 077 && exec uname -sr'
    hackbox.coastfx.com (Linux System)
    if new, login 'new' ..

    Linux 2.6.11-1.1369_FC4
    $

    http://groups.google.com/groups?as_q...=2006&safe=off

  6. Re: account services?

    Michael Paoli wrote in
    <1148703313.260671.107790@g10g2000cwb.googlegroups. com> on Sat, May 27 2006
    00:15:

    > Michael B. Trausch wrote:
    >> run NetBSD. I would like to find a free provider (with no strings
    >> attached) that provides a Linux shell, just so that I can refer some
    >> people to a system that isn't my own so that they can work on learning
    >> Linux-specific things without using my system.

    > $ ssh -x hackbox.coastfx.com. 'umask 077 && exec uname -sr'
    > hackbox.coastfx.com (Linux System)
    > if new, login 'new' ..
    >
    > Linux 2.6.11-1.1369_FC4
    > $

    Neat -- thank you for the info. Apparently, I just hadn't gotten there yet.

    Thanks,
    Mike

    --
    Registered Linux User #417338, machine #325045.

    A .45 beats a royal flush EVERY TIME

+ Reply to Thread