'IP alias' for single node machines? - Unix

This is a discussion on 'IP alias' for single node machines? - Unix ; Sometime back, I had asked this question. But, the answer is still unclear for me. Can we use 'IP alias' for Single node(i.e.single server, no cluster configuration) machines? Here goes the requirement: There is a single node server running and ...

  1. 'IP alias' for single node machines?

    Sometime back, I had asked this question. But, the answer is still
    unclear for me.
    Can we use 'IP alias' for Single node(i.e.single server, no cluster
    configuration) machines?

    Here goes the requirement:
    There is a single node server running and it is required to provide
    'failover' in case of IP interface failure. The idea is that the server
    will have 2 IP interfaces and if one of them fails, the client should
    be able to contact the server via the other IP interface transparently.

    Is it possible to provide 'IP alias' configuration for this requirement
    and publish that IP for connection from external clients?

  2. Re: 'IP alias' for single node machines?

    In comp.unix.solaris qazmlp1209@rediffmail.com wrote:
    > Sometime back, I had asked this question. But, the answer is still
    > unclear for me.
    > Can we use 'IP alias' for Single node(i.e.single server, no cluster
    > configuration) machines?
    >
    > Here goes the requirement:
    > There is a single node server running and it is required to provide
    > 'failover' in case of IP interface failure. The idea is that the server
    > will have 2 IP interfaces and if one of them fails, the client should
    > be able to contact the server via the other IP interface transparently.
    >
    > Is it possible to provide 'IP alias' configuration for this requirement
    > and publish that IP for connection from external clients?

    Yes. See the docs for IPMP.

    This page gives a worked example.
    http://www.eng.auburn.edu/~doug/howt...tipathing.html

  3. Re: 'IP alias' for single node machines?

    News wrote:
    > > Is it possible to provide 'IP alias' configuration for this requirement
    > > and publish that IP for connection from external clients?

    > Yes. See the docs for IPMP.
    >
    > This page gives a worked example.
    > http://www.eng.auburn.edu/~doug/howt...tipathing.html

    Thanks for the info!
    I understand that IPMP can be used for 'failover' requirement on single
    node machines. But, I am curious to know whether 'IP alias' can also be
    used for this purpose. If not/yes, why?

    My understanding till now is that,
    - 'IP alias'/'Virtual IP' can be used for failover purpose when the
    failover should be provided for more than 1 node, and
    - IPMP can be used for failover, both within a single node and also
    for more than 1 node configuration.
    Could you clarify this, if possible in details?

    Thanks!

  4. Re: 'IP alias' for single node machines?

    In comp.unix.solaris qazmlp1209@rediffmail.com wrote:
    > News wrote:
    >> > Is it possible to provide 'IP alias' configuration for this requirement
    >> > and publish that IP for connection from external clients?

    >> Yes. See the docs for IPMP.
    >>
    >> This page gives a worked example.
    >> http://www.eng.auburn.edu/~doug/howt...tipathing.html

    > Thanks for the info!
    > I understand that IPMP can be used for 'failover' requirement on single
    > node machines. But, I am curious to know whether 'IP alias' can also be
    > used for this purpose. If not/yes, why?
    >
    > My understanding till now is that,
    > - 'IP alias'/'Virtual IP' can be used for failover purpose when the
    > failover should be provided for more than 1 node, and
    > - IPMP can be used for failover, both within a single node and also
    > for more than 1 node configuration.
    > Could you clarify this, if possible in details?

    If you want an IP to move between two servers you need some extra software.
    Something like freeha
    http://www.bolthole.com/freeha/
    or ucarp
    http://www.ucarp.org/project/ucarp
    or even Sun Cluster - but that is a full blown failover/ha package.

  5. Re: 'IP alias' for single node machines?

    In article <1147528420.545726.185500@j73g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>,
    qazmlp1209@rediffmail.com wrote:

    > News wrote:
    > > > Is it possible to provide 'IP alias' configuration for this requirement
    > > > and publish that IP for connection from external clients?

    > > Yes. See the docs for IPMP.
    > >
    > > This page gives a worked example.
    > > http://www.eng.auburn.edu/~doug/howt...tipathing.html

    > Thanks for the info!
    > I understand that IPMP can be used for 'failover' requirement on single
    > node machines. But, I am curious to know whether 'IP alias' can also be
    > used for this purpose. If not/yes, why?

    IP alias is for assigning multiple addresses to one NIC. But your
    question is about a machine with two NICs.

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA

  6. Re: 'IP alias' for single node machines?

    In comp.unix.solaris qazmlp1209@rediffmail.com wrote:
    > Is it possible to provide 'IP alias' configuration for this requirement
    > and publish that IP for connection from external clients?

    Yes.

    ifconfig ce0 addif 10.1.1.2 netmask + broadcast + up

    Scott

+ Reply to Thread