erasing Core files - Unix

This is a discussion on erasing Core files - Unix ; Sometimes I am asking my self is there a danger from erasing core files ? Ther are in huge sizes ?...

  1. erasing Core files

    Sometimes I am asking my self is there a danger from erasing core files
    ? Ther are in huge sizes ?

  2. Re: erasing Core files

    ehabaziz2001@gmail.com wrote:

    > Sometimes I am asking my self is there a danger from erasing core files?

    Developers use core files to debug their programs. If you have
    developers on your systems you can distrupt their work so
    cleaning core files is their job. If you have no developers then
    my may want to send the core files to your support team for
    debugging before deleting. Most of the time deleting them is
    fine but you have to know what they are for before you can reach
    that decision.

    > Ther are in huge sizes ?

    Not really. Read up on sparsely populated files. Then do a
    df, delete one, and do another df. You'll see what the term
    means.

  3. Re: erasing Core files

    ehabaziz2001@gmail.com wrote:
    > Sometimes I am asking my self is there a danger from erasing core files
    > ? Ther are in huge sizes ?

    In general it is safe to remove core files but if the core was dumped
    by the developers who wrote the program, then they need to figure out
    what the problem was or just see how the program was doing, so removing
    that core might get them really unhappy.

  4. Re: erasing Core files

    AHH One question,
    How does anybody debug the core file. Many a times i see with the `file
    corefilename` command the bugger program causing this core file. I
    suppose it's the memory image of the actual program running in physical
    mem. But then how do they debug. Does anybody have idea on this.

  5. Re: erasing Core files

    ehabaziz2001@gmail.com wrote:
    > Sometimes I am asking my self is there a danger from erasing core files
    > ? Ther are in huge sizes ?

    You can also set the system up so that it does not produce core dump. I
    think coreadm might do the trick.

  6. Re: erasing Core files

    umeya wrote:
    > AHH One question,
    > How does anybody debug the core file. Many a times i see with the `file
    > corefilename` command the bugger program causing this core file. I
    > suppose it's the memory image of the actual program running in physical
    > mem. But then how do they debug. Does anybody have idea on this.

    What are you replying to? Please quote context.

    You just load to core file into your debugger. Try it and see.

    --
    Ian Collins.

  7. Re: erasing Core files

    In article <1146862753.317044.99560@e56g2000cwe.googlegroups.c om>,
    "Vahid Moghaddasi" wrote:

    > ehabaziz2001@gmail.com wrote:
    > > Sometimes I am asking my self is there a danger from erasing core files
    > > ? Ther are in huge sizes ?

    > In general it is safe to remove core files but if the core was dumped
    > by the developers who wrote the program, then they need to figure out
    > what the problem was or just see how the program was doing, so removing
    > that core might get them really unhappy.

    Or if you report a problem to a vendor, they may want you to send the
    core file so they can determine what the program was doing at the time
    it failed.

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA

  8. Re: erasing Core files

    ehabaziz2001@gmail.com writes:
    > Sometimes I am asking my self is there a danger from erasing core files
    > ? Ther are in huge sizes ?

    Are you asking about removing your own core files, or removing other
    users' core files? The former is perfectly fine if you're not going
    to use them. The latter, if you're an administrator, is probably
    something you should discuss with your users.

    --
    Keith Thompson (The_Other_Keith) kst-u@mib.org
    San Diego Supercomputer Center <*>

  9. Re: erasing Core files

    >AHH One question,
    >How does anybody debug the core file. Many a times i see with the `file
    >corefilename` command the bugger program causing this core file. I
    >suppose it's the memory image of the actual program running in physical
    >mem. But then how do they debug. Does anybody have idea on this.

    If you are not a developer with the debugging software and or the
    person who wrote the code that is dumping, then you typically cannot
    debug the core dump.
    However I have a way that I have used over the years to read through a
    core dump and determine what program is dumping and sometimes other
    useful data.

    Use the strings command on the file:
    strings core.1432|more

    This pulls any readable strings of data out of the file for you to
    examine. Within the first four lines will be the the path and filename
    of the executable that dumped.

  10. Re: erasing Core files

    On 2006-05-08, Tonagon wrote:
    >>AHH One question,
    >>How does anybody debug the core file. Many a times i see with the `file
    >>corefilename` command the bugger program causing this core file. I
    >>suppose it's the memory image of the actual program running in physical
    >>mem. But then how do they debug. Does anybody have idea on this.

    > If you are not a developer with the debugging software and or the
    > person who wrote the code that is dumping, then you typically cannot
    > debug the core dump.
    > However I have a way that I have used over the years to read through a
    > core dump and determine what program is dumping and sometimes other
    > useful data.
    >
    > Use the strings command on the file:
    > strings core.1432|more
    >
    > This pulls any readable strings of data out of the file for you to
    > examine. Within the first four lines will be the the path and filename
    > of the executable that dumped.

    The Solaris "file" command will tell you what dumped.

    huge{~}: file core
    core: ELF 32-bit MSB core file SPARC Version 1, from 'gst-thumbnail'

    Hmmm. Gnome. A reliable source of core dumps. Still, your method provides
    more information;

    strings core | more

    huge{~}: strings core | more
    CORE
    gst-thumbnail
    gst-thumbnail file:///home/huge/Desktop/media/video/loton_sprint.wmv /tmp/.gnom
    CORE
    SUNW,Ultra-60
    CORE
    CORE
    CORE

    Very insistent on it being a core dump, isn't it?

    --
    "Other people are not your property."

  11. Re: erasing Core files

    Huge wrote:

    > The Solaris "file" command will tell you what dumped.
    >
    > huge{~}: file core
    > core: ELF 32-bit MSB core file SPARC Version 1, from 'gst-thumbnail'
    >
    > Hmmm. Gnome. A reliable source of core dumps. Still, your method provides
    > more information;
    >
    > strings core | more
    >
    > huge{~}: strings core | more
    > CORE
    > gst-thumbnail
    > gst-thumbnail file:///home/huge/Desktop/media/video/loton_sprint.wmv /tmp/.gnom
    > CORE
    > SUNW,Ultra-60
    > CORE
    > CORE
    > CORE
    >
    > Very insistent on it being a core dump, isn't it?

    I too have the same problem with gnome dumping core when viewing .wmv,
    though my strings output is slightly different :P

    root@gmz3e:#:/: strings core | more
    HARD CORE
    gst-thumbnail
    gst-thumbnail file:///tmp/video/pr/jenna_jameson-xxx.wmv /tmp/.gnom
    HARD CORE
    SUNW,Sun-Fire-V240
    HARD CORE
    HARD CORE
    HARD CORE

  12. Re: erasing Core files

    In article <_J%7g.12343$mX1.3251@newsfe2-gui.ntli.net>, Sam Nelson wrote:
    > Huge wrote:
    >>
    >> The Solaris "file" command will tell you what dumped.
    >>
    >> huge{~}: file core
    >> core: ELF 32-bit MSB core file SPARC Version 1, from 'gst-thumbnail'
    >>
    >> Hmmm. Gnome. A reliable source of core dumps. Still, your method provides
    >> more information;
    >>
    >> strings core | more
    >>
    >> huge{~}: strings core | more
    >> CORE
    >> gst-thumbnail
    >> gst-thumbnail file:///home/huge/Desktop/media/video/loton_sprint.wmv /tmp/.gnom
    >> CORE
    >> SUNW,Ultra-60
    >> CORE
    >> CORE
    >> CORE
    >>
    >> Very insistent on it being a core dump, isn't it?
    >>

    > I too have the same problem with gnome dumping core when viewing .wmv,
    > though my strings output is slightly different :P
    >
    > root@gmz3e:#:/: strings core | more
    > HARD CORE
    > gst-thumbnail
    > gst-thumbnail file:///tmp/video/pr/jenna_jameson-xxx.wmv /tmp/.gnom
    > HARD CORE
    > SUNW,Sun-Fire-V240
    > HARD CORE
    > HARD CORE