rdist and symbolic links - Unix

This is a discussion on rdist and symbolic links - Unix ; I am using rdist as a backup method to synchronize files between 2 linux computers. However, no matter what options I use, the absolute path goes away on the remote system. It is very important for us to maintain the ...

  1. rdist and symbolic links

    I am using rdist as a backup method to synchronize files between 2 linux
    computers.

    However, no matter what options I use, the absolute path goes away on the
    remote system. It is very important for us to maintain the absolute path, in
    case we need to switch to the backup server.

    For example:

    We are using rsync to copy symbolic link "/filename", to "/backup/filename"
    on the backup server.

    Here's what happens to the file:

    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 40 Nov 2 2005 filename ->
    /path/to/file becomes
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 40 Nov 2 2005 filename ->
    path/to/file

    Is there any way to retain the complete path on the backup server?

    Thanks in advance,

    David

  2. Re: rdist and symbolic links

    On Fri, 5 May 2006 11:10:04 -0400, David Staschover wrote:
    > I am using rdist as a backup method to synchronize files between 2 linux
    > computers.
    > However, no matter what options I use, the absolute path goes away on the
    > remote system. It is very important for us to maintain the absolute path, in
    > case we need to switch to the backup server.

    Might I suggest you look into rsync instead? For what you seem to be
    doing, it's a better (and more secure) solution. rsync, you can tell to
    use SSL as a transport, so your data is encrypted. It's also better
    about pathing, and only sends files that need to be sent.

    From memory, one syntax to start with is something like:
    rsync --rsync-path=/usr/local/bin/rsync -arve /usr/local/bin/ssh \
    /source/directory username@remotehost:/destination/remotedir

    This will make whatever is in /directory go to /.../remotedir on the remote
    host, updating only the files which have changed.

    Dave Hinz

+ Reply to Thread