How to find the model of the linux machine. - Unix

This is a discussion on How to find the model of the linux machine. - Unix ; Hi All, I want to know whethe the machine i am using is opteron or xeon etc. How could i know it? Thanks & regards, Prasad....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

  1. How to find the model of the linux machine.

    Hi All,

    I want to know whethe the machine i am using is opteron or xeon etc.

    How could i know it?

    Thanks & regards,
    Prasad.

  2. Re: How to find the model of the linux machine.

    On 4 May 2006 02:11:35 -0700, Prasad wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I want to know whethe the machine i am using is opteron or xeon etc.
    > How could i know it?

    Look for a sticker?

    Failing that, maybe you could tell us which OS you're using, which can
    change the answer you get considerably.

  3. Re: How to find the model of the linux machine.

    On 4 May 2006 02:11:35 -0700, Prasad wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I want to know whethe the machine i am using is opteron or xeon etc.
    >
    > How could i know it?

    [...]

    cat /proc/cpuinfo

    --
    Stephane

  4. Re: How to find the model of the linux machine.

    In comp.unix.admin Stephane Chazelas :
    > On 4 May 2006 02:11:35 -0700, Prasad wrote:
    >> Hi All,
    >>
    >> I want to know whethe the machine i am using is opteron or xeon etc.
    >>
    >> How could i know it?

    > [...]

    > cat /proc/cpuinfo

    Yep, other options:

    uname -p
    dmidecode | grep Version:
    lshw -C processor

    #bofh excuse 72: Satan did it

  5. Re: How to find the model of the linux machine.

    On 4 May 2006, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.unix.admin, in article
    <1146733895.896186.122260@e56g2000cwe.googlegroups. com>, Prasad wrote:

    >I want to know whethe the machine i am using is opteron or xeon etc.
    >
    >How could i know it?

    Hmmm...

    You're posting from google - and you didn't think to try to use the
    search engine???

    Web Results 1 - 10 of about 1,540,000 for Linux CPU identification.
    (0.41 seconds)

    Could have had the answer in less time than it took to post your
    question to the newsgroup.

    Free clue - look in /proc/cpuinfo

    Another clue:

    [compton ~]$ grep linux big.8.newsgroup.list.04.15.06 | cut -f1 | column
    comp.os.linux.advocacy comp.os.linux.misc
    comp.os.linux.alpha comp.os.linux.networking
    comp.os.linux.announce comp.os.linux.portable
    comp.os.linux.answers comp.os.linux.powerpc
    comp.os.linux.development.apps comp.os.linux.security
    comp.os.linux.development.system comp.os.linux.setup
    comp.os.linux.embedded comp.os.linux.x
    comp.os.linux.hardware comp.os.linux.xbox
    comp.os.linux.m68k
    [compton ~]$ grep linux.hardware big.8.newsgroup.list.04.15.06
    comp.os.linux.hardware Hardware compatibility with the Linux operating system.
    [compton ~]$

    Old guy

  6. Re: How to find the model of the linux machine.

    Moe Trin wrote:

    > Could have had the answer in less time than it took to post your
    > question to the newsgroup.
    >
    > Free clue - look in /proc/cpuinfo

    sparrow /export/home/drkirkby % cat /proc/cpuinfo
    cat: cannot open /proc/cpuinfo

    No help.
    > Another clue:
    >
    > [compton ~]$ grep linux big.8.newsgroup.list.04.15.06 | cut -f1 | column

    sparrow /export/home/drkirkby % grep linux big.8.newsgroup.list.04.15.06
    | cut -f1 | column
    column: Command not found.
    grep: can't open big.8.newsgroup.list.04.15.06

    The UNIX world does not start and end with Linux you know !! In fact, to
    be pedantic, Linux is not UNIX.

    I realise the original poster did not state his operating system, but
    you made quite an assumption in assuming it was Linux.

    On my system at least, psrinfo -v will show I have 4 sparcv9 cpus.

    sparrow /export/home/drkirkby % psrinfo -v
    Status of virtual processor 0 as of: 05/10/2006 11:30:22
    on-line since 04/17/2006 21:24:23.
    The sparcv9 processor operates at 450 MHz,
    and has a sparcv9 floating point processor.
    Status of virtual processor 1 as of: 05/10/2006 11:30:22
    on-line since 04/17/2006 21:24:24.
    The sparcv9 processor operates at 450 MHz,
    and has a sparcv9 floating point processor.
    Status of virtual processor 2 as of: 05/10/2006 11:30:22
    on-line since 04/17/2006 21:24:24.
    The sparcv9 processor operates at 450 MHz,
    and has a sparcv9 floating point processor.
    Status of virtual processor 3 as of: 05/10/2006 11:30:22
    on-line since 04/17/2006 21:24:24.
    The sparcv9 processor operates at 450 MHz,
    and has a sparcv9 floating point processor.

    But that will only work on a Solaris machine, so may or may not be
    useful to the original poster. I'm not sure what information that would
    give on an x86 based machine. It might know the difference between a
    Xeon and an Opteron, but I don't know.

    --
    Dave K MCSE.

  7. Re: How to find the model of the linux machine.

    On Wed, 10 May 2006 11:36:39 +0100, Dave (from the UK) wrote:
    > Moe Trin wrote:
    >
    >> Could have had the answer in less time than it took to post your
    >> question to the newsgroup.

    > sparrow /export/home/drkirkby % grep linux big.8.newsgroup.list.04.15.06
    >| cut -f1 | column
    > column: Command not found.
    > grep: can't open big.8.newsgroup.list.04.15.06

    > The UNIX world does not start and end with Linux you know !! In fact, to
    > be pedantic, Linux is not UNIX.

    The subject line mentions linux. And the "linux isn't really unix you
    know" argument was old and pointless 10 years ago already.

    > I realise the original poster did not state his operating system, but
    > you made quite an assumption in assuming it was Linux.

    Yes, I think maybe he read the subject line, where you seem not to have.
    There's assumptions going on here, all right.

  8. Re: How to find the model of the linux machine.

    In <4461c238@212.67.96.135>,
    Dave (from the UK) wrote:

    > The UNIX world does not start and end with Linux you know !! In fact, to
    > be pedantic, Linux is not UNIX.

    That statement looked jaded five years now. Now its keeled over and given
    up the ghost.

    > I realise the original poster did not state his operating system, but
    > you made quite an assumption in assuming it was Linux.

    No, unlike you, the original responder read the Subject line and made
    no further assumptions. Either that, or the question, "How to find
    the model of the linux machine" escapes your ability to comprehend.

    AC
    --
    Email: echo 14232209320335931527179462016806497532155427589018 6P | dc

  9. Re: How to find the model of the linux machine.

    In comp.unix.admin "Dave (from the UK)" :
    > Moe Trin wrote:

    >> Free clue - look in /proc/cpuinfo

    [..]

    > The UNIX world does not start and end with Linux you know !! In fact, to
    > be pedantic, Linux is not UNIX.

    In terms of trademark, you are quite correct. Technically
    speaking and cua is a technical newsgroup, Linux == Unix.

    > I realise the original poster did not state his operating system, but
    > you made quite an assumption in assuming it was Linux.

    It seems from the subject he did perfectly state he would run
    Linux. You perhaps overlooked in the heat of the moment?

    [..]

    #bofh excuse 3: electromagnetic radiation from satellite debris

  10. Re: How to find the model of the linux machine.

    On Wed, 10 May 2006, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.unix.admin, in article
    <4461c238@212.67.96.135>, Dave (from the UK) wrote:

    >Moe Trin wrote:

    >> Free clue - look in /proc/cpuinfo

    >sparrow /export/home/drkirkby % cat /proc/cpuinfo
    >cat: cannot open /proc/cpuinfo
    >
    >No help.

    Hmmm...

    >Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 11:36:39 +0100

    No obvious reason. See below

    >> [compton ~]$ grep linux big.8.newsgroup.list.04.15.06 | cut -f1 | column

    >sparrow /export/home/drkirkby % grep linux big.8.newsgroup.list.04.15.06
    >| cut -f1 | column
    >column: Command not found.

    While that is a Linux utility, the source is available, and does compile
    on SunOS and Solaris just fine.

    >grep: can't open big.8.newsgroup.list.04.15.06

    [compton ~]$ grep -1 Subject: big.8.list.04.15.06
    From: news.announce.newgroups Moderation Team
    Subject: List of Big Eight Newsgroups
    Newsgroups: news.announce.newgroups,news.groups,news.lists.mis c
    [compton ~]$ grep Date: big.8.list.04.15.06
    Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 08:00:01 -0700
    [compton ~]$

    >The UNIX world does not start and end with Linux you know !! In fact, to
    >be pedantic, Linux is not UNIX.
    >
    >I realise the original poster did not state his operating system, but
    >you made quite an assumption in assuming it was Linux.

    Maybe if you unbuttoned your shirt, you'd be able to see out of the window
    in your belly. Free clue, Dave - read the subject of the article before
    letting your bigotry run rampant

    Subject: Re: How to find the model of the linux machine.
    ^^^^^
    >On my system at least, psrinfo -v will show I have 4 sparcv9 cpus.

    Glad to hear that - but what does that have to do with the original
    poster's problem?

    Old guy

  11. Re: How to find the model of the linux machine.

    On Wed, 10 May 2006 11:36:39 +0100
    "Dave (from the UK)"
    wrote:

    It's deja-vu all over again!

    > The UNIX world does not start and end with Linux you know !! In fact,
    > to be pedantic, Linux is not UNIX.

    Don Kool has been re-incarnated. Didn't anyone notice that Dave's
    initials are the same as Don's?

    :-) :-) :-)

    --
    Stefaan A Eeckels
    --

  12. Re: How to find the model of the linux machine.

    On Wed, 10 May 2006 18:41:15 +0200, Stefaan A Eeckels wrote:
    > On Wed, 10 May 2006 11:36:39 +0100
    > "Dave (from the UK)"
    > wrote:

    >> The UNIX world does not start and end with Linux you know !! In fact,
    >> to be pedantic, Linux is not UNIX.

    > Don Kool has been re-incarnated. Didn't anyone notice that Dave's
    > initials are the same as Don's?

    Can we please differentiate Daves in this context? Thanks.

    Dave Hinz

  13. Re: How to find the model of the linux machine.

    Dave Hinz wrote:
    > On Wed, 10 May 2006 18:41:15 +0200, Stefaan A Eeckels wrote:
    >> On Wed, 10 May 2006 11:36:39 +0100
    >> "Dave (from the UK)"
    >> wrote:

    >>> The UNIX world does not start and end with Linux you know !! In fact,
    >>> to be pedantic, Linux is not UNIX.

    >> Don Kool has been re-incarnated. Didn't anyone notice that Dave's
    >> initials are the same as Don's?

    > Can we please differentiate Daves in this context? Thanks.
    >
    > Dave Hinz

    Ahhh, the History Channel starts it's week on MEGA disastors and now THE
    ONE WHO SHALL NOT BE NAMED is mentioned again.

    Be afraid, very afraid.

    8-)

  14. Re: How to find the model of the linux machine.

    On 10 May 2006, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.unix.admin, in article
    <4cerr3F15oedjU4@individual.net>, Dave Hinz wrote:

    >On Wed, 10 May 2006 18:41:15 +0200, Stefaan A Eeckels wrote:
    >> On Wed, 10 May 2006 11:36:39 +0100
    >> "Dave (from the UK)"
    >> wrote:

    >>> The UNIX world does not start and end with Linux you know !! In fact,
    >>> to be pedantic, Linux is not UNIX.

    >> Don Kool has been re-incarnated.

    Now, even I wasn't _that_ unkind (though the thought did occur that he might
    be getting out of jail soon).

    >> Didn't anyone notice that Dave's initials are the same as Don's?

    >Can we please differentiate Daves in this context? Thanks.

    I thought he did. "DH" != "DK" unless you need to change your eyeglass
    perscription.

    Old guy

  15. Re: How to find the model of the linux machine.

    On Wed, 10 May 2006 15:07:47 -0500, Moe Trin wrote:
    > On 10 May 2006, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.unix.admin, in article
    ><4cerr3F15oedjU4@individual.net>, Dave Hinz wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 10 May 2006 18:41:15 +0200, Stefaan A Eeckels wrote:
    >>> On Wed, 10 May 2006 11:36:39 +0100

    >>> Don Kool has been re-incarnated.

    > Now, even I wasn't _that_ unkind (though the thought did occur that he might
    > be getting out of jail soon).

    Oh, is that where he is? Do I want to know why? (my email is correct).

    >>> Didn't anyone notice that Dave's initials are the same as Don's?

    >>Can we please differentiate Daves in this context? Thanks.

    > I thought he did. "DH" != "DK" unless you need to change your eyeglass
    > perscription.

    Dave in the UK did. Stefaann didn't. I'm probably just being overly
    careful but whatever.

  16. Re: How to find the model of the linux machine.

    On 10 May 2006 20:19:35 GMT
    Dave Hinz wrote:

    > Dave in the UK did. Stefaann didn't. I'm probably just being overly
    > careful but whatever.

    Well, Dave (from the UK) used to be a "DK" before he turned partly anon.
    That realisation and the "Linux is not UNIX" (in caps, to boot) brought
    memories of the "good old days" when Rev Kook was still with us and
    450MHz a fast processor.

    I did reply to Dave (from the UK)'s post, not yours, so I didn't think
    it necessary to mention you (Dave Hinz) should not take offence. Honi
    soit qui mal y pense! - or should I say "whom the garter fits..."?

    :-) (just in case)

    --
    Stefaan A Eeckels
    --

  17. Re: How to find the model of the linux machine.

    On Wed, 10 May 2006 23:21:26 +0200, Stefaan A Eeckels wrote:
    > On 10 May 2006 20:19:35 GMT
    > Dave Hinz wrote:
    >
    >> Dave in the UK did. Stefaann didn't. I'm probably just being overly
    >> careful but whatever.

    > Well, Dave (from the UK) used to be a "DK" before he turned partly anon.
    > That realisation and the "Linux is not UNIX" (in caps, to boot) brought
    > memories of the "good old days" when Rev Kook was still with us and
    > 450MHz a fast processor.

    He's clearly not Leo Von Dork, though. Much to coherent.

    > I did reply to Dave (from the UK)'s post, not yours, so I didn't think
    > it necessary to mention you (Dave Hinz) should not take offence. Honi
    > soit qui mal y pense! - or should I say "whom the garter fits..."?

    Oh, no offense taken either now or earlier, I assure you.

    >:-) (just in case)

    Nice hat!

  18. Re: How to find the model of the linux machine.

    On 10 May 2006 21:25:42 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

    > Much to coherent.

    or "too", even. Sheesh.
    Would you call this an ad-homonym attack, I wonder?

  19. Re: How to find the model of the linux machine.

    On 10 May 2006 21:34:49 GMT
    Dave Hinz wrote:

    > On 10 May 2006 21:25:42 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:
    > >
    > > Much to coherent.

    > or "too", even. Sheesh.
    > Would you call this an ad-homonym attack, I wonder?

    Hehe. That reminds me (it must be Remembrance Day of the guy who
    used to spell that an "ad honeymoon attack". He was deadly serious.

    --
    Stefaan A Eeckels
    --

  20. Re: How to find the model of the linux machine.

    On 10 May 2006 12:10:05 GMT
    Dave Hinz wrote:

    > The subject line mentions linux. And the "linux isn't really unix you
    > know" argument was old and pointless 10 years ago already.

    I'm a bit new to this and I wasn't around when people were discussing
    if either linux is unix or not. Why would it not be considered a unix?
    It's of course not the original unix that was bought by sco (please
    correct me if I'm wrong), but it does implement all the features the
    original unix had, and more. Doesn't it?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast