How to find the model of the linux machine. - Unix

This is a discussion on How to find the model of the linux machine. - Unix ; In comp.unix.admin Stefaan A Eeckels : > On Wed, 10 May 2006 11:36:39 +0100 > "Dave (from the UK)" > wrote: > It's deja-vu all over again! >> The UNIX world does not start and end with Linux you know ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 25 of 25

  1. Re: How to find the model of the linux machine.

    In comp.unix.admin Stefaan A Eeckels :
    > On Wed, 10 May 2006 11:36:39 +0100
    > "Dave (from the UK)"
    > wrote:

    > It's deja-vu all over again!

    >> The UNIX world does not start and end with Linux you know !! In fact,
    >> to be pedantic, Linux is not UNIX.

    > Don Kool has been re-incarnated. Didn't anyone notice that Dave's
    > initials are the same as Don's?

    Oh no, you shouldn't have done this, we might just get him back
    now.;(

    > :-) :-) :-)

    #bofh excuse 257: That would be because the software doesn't
    work.

  2. Re: How to find the model of the linux machine.

    On 10 May 2006, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.unix.admin, in article
    <4cf06nF155i1pU2@individual.net>, Dave Hinz wrote:
    >On Wed, 10 May 2006, Moe Trin wrote:

    >> Now, even I wasn't _that_ unkind (though the thought did occur that he might
    >> be getting out of jail soon).

    >Oh, is that where he is?

    I've heard rumors - but that's about it. Given his other activism, my
    remark was a little coarse.

    Old guy

  3. Re: How to find the model of the linux machine.

    On Wed, 10 May 2006, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.unix.admin, in article
    <20060510132155.7c3be5d8.rafaelc@dcc.ufmg.br>, Rafael Almeida wrote:

    >Dave Hinz wrote:
    >
    >> The subject line mentions linux. And the "linux isn't really unix you
    >> know" argument was old and pointless 10 years ago already.

    > I'm a bit new to this and I wasn't around when people were discussing
    > if either linux is unix or not. Why would it not be considered a unix?

    comp.os.linux.advocacy Benefits of Linux compared to other operating systems.
    comp.unix.advocacy Arguments for and against Unix and Unix versions.

    http:groups.google.com has archives of the flame wars in those groups.
    Many of us use the killfile capability of out news readers to block anything
    cross-posted to a group with advocacy in the group name, and don't subscribe
    to those groups.

    The name UNIX is a trademark of The Open Group. See
    http://www.unix.org/what_is_unix.html. If an operating system provider wants
    to use that in connection with their operating system, they must pass certain
    compatibility tests, and pay testing and license fees to The Open Group.

    >It's of course not the original unix that was bought by sco (please
    >correct me if I'm wrong), but it does implement all the features the
    >original unix had, and more. Doesn't it?

    That is the argument used by the NetBSD group. See
    http://www.netbsd.org/Misc/call-it-a-duck.html.

    Bottom line - what you use may or may not be a UNIX but if it does the
    job you want it to do, call it by it's own name and enjoy life. Or you
    can foam at the mouth (but do this in the advocacy newsgroup please) and
    the rest of us will ignore you.

    Old guy

  4. Re: How to find the model of the linux machine.

    Rafael Almeida wrote:
    > On 10 May 2006 12:10:05 GMT
    > Dave Hinz wrote:
    >
    >> The subject line mentions linux. And the "linux isn't really unix you
    >> know" argument was old and pointless 10 years ago already.
    >>

    > I'm a bit new to this and I wasn't around when people were discussing
    > if either linux is unix or not. Why would it not be considered a unix?
    > It's of course not the original unix that was bought by sco (please
    > correct me if I'm wrong), but it does implement all the features the
    > original unix had, and more. Doesn't it?

    A couple of minor things I didn't see mentioned:

    1) You can also get waivers in the process of obtaining permission to
    use the UNIX (R). I am not aware of anyone using that recently, but you
    will see that on their website if you look.

    2) Not only does it 'implement all the features the original unix had,
    and more' it implements all the features of current UNIX and more. To
    the extent that The UNIX (R) System Today, published by the owners of
    the trademark, included a copy of Debian GNU/Linux as an example of a
    UNIX that was freely distributable.

    3) When discussing 'what sco bought', whether you are referring to the
    actual Santa Cruz Operation or the current entity claiming to be
    successor in interest, please realize that the subject is part of a 5
    billion dollar lawsuit with IBM and various and sundry other legal
    battles - also not so much a topic for this technical group - but you
    can find more infor than perhaps you would ever want at groklaw.net.

    Cheers.

  5. Re: How to find the model of the linux machine.

    > The subject line mentions linux. And the "linux isn't really unix you
    > know" argument was old and pointless 10 years ago already.

    Oops, my error. Sorry

    --
    Dave K MCSE.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2