Should sensitive data be connected on the Internet if its on a Trusted UNIX OS? - Unix

This is a discussion on Should sensitive data be connected on the Internet if its on a Trusted UNIX OS? - Unix ; On a Trusted Solaris OS system or any Trusted UNIX OS, should sensitive data be online or connected to the Internet or not? Or, should they be OFFLINE and NOT connected to the Internet? Sensitive meaning like military data, battlefield ...

  1. Should sensitive data be connected on the Internet if its on a Trusted UNIX OS?

    On a Trusted Solaris OS system or any Trusted UNIX OS, should sensitive
    data be online or connected to the Internet or not? Or, should they be
    OFFLINE and NOT connected to the Internet?

    Sensitive meaning like military data, battlefield images, secret
    airbase files, and such...

    Thanks!

  2. Re: Should sensitive data be connected on the Internet if its on a Trusted UNIX OS?

    In article <1146419263.569827.65160@sensitivesensative>,
    a.vincze@yahoo.com wrote:

    > On a Trusted Solaris OS system or any Trusted UNIX OS, should sensitive
    > data be online or connected to the Internet or not? Or, should they be
    > OFFLINE and NOT connected to the Internet?
    >
    > Sensitive meaning like military data, battlefield images, secret
    > airbase files, and such...
    >
    > Thanks!

    What do you think? In the 1980's when computers were refrigerator size,
    Tempest-cleared machines were housed in special rooms in basement that
    were Faraday-sheilded requiring a special badge, sign-in/out, and an
    armed guard. Building these vaults required special permits and
    inspections to ensure the only way in and out were the sealed utility
    pipes and the vault door. There were special terminals required to use
    these systems.

    Then they come out with John Boorman's WARGAMES with Ali Sheedy and
    Mathew Brodrick. I had to laugh at a military installation that would
    connect a computer system which controlled tactical nukes on a phone
    line and outside a sealed vault.

    At another company, employee evaluations were not allowed to be on
    company PCs or servers and must be printed on special printers in HR,
    which was behind a locked door only HR had access to.

    [getting the picture about real physical security being important here?]

    What to play a nice game of chess?

  3. Re: Should sensitive data be connected on the Internet if its ona Trusted UNIX OS?

    a.vincze@yahoo.com wrote:
    > On a Trusted Solaris OS system or any Trusted UNIX OS, should sensitive
    > data be online or connected to the Internet or not? Or, should they be
    > OFFLINE and NOT connected to the Internet?
    >
    > Sensitive meaning like military data, battlefield images, secret
    > airbase files, and such...

    The question you should be asking is why this would *need* to
    be internet available.

    The DOD has had quidelines in this area for quite some time; rather
    than asking here, you need to check with your chain of command.

    UCMJ isn't particularly forgiving and Kansas doesn't have the
    great weather.

+ Reply to Thread