New Internet Forum for Unix Support - Unix

This is a discussion on New Internet Forum for Unix Support - Unix ; the site just started, visit and post your issues www.unixtalk.info...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

  1. New Internet Forum for Unix Support

    the site just started, visit and post your issues

    www.unixtalk.info

  2. Re: New Internet Forum for Unix Support

    On 11 Apr 2006 16:29:17 -0700, admin@unixtalk.info wrote:
    > the site just started, visit and post your issues

    Can you give me a compelling reason why I'd post on a website that may
    go *whiff* at any moment, when I could post here and know I can always
    find it?

  3. Re: New Internet Forum for Unix Support

    In comp.unix.admin Dave Hinz :
    > On 11 Apr 2006 16:29:17 -0700, admin@unixtalk.info wrote:
    >> the site just started, visit and post your issues

    > Can you give me a compelling reason why I'd post on a website that may
    > go *whiff* at any moment, when I could post here and know I can always
    > find it?

    Seems easy enough:

    The OP:
    - Uses G/2 from doze
    - Has probably never heard about usenet
    - Doesn't care about it anyway
    - Is IT-professional

    #bofh excuse 300: Digital Manipulator exceeding velocity
    parameters

  4. Re: New Internet Forum for Unix Support

    that is true, we are it professionals, and we do deal with unix issues
    every day.
    we are unix admin support, team that is trying to provide a free site
    for people to get answers to there issues, and yes i do know about
    other news groups and forums.
    i'm not trying to get you to pay for any of the service...it's free and
    you'll get an answer from someone who deals with unix problems every
    day,

    Michael Heiming wrote:
    > In comp.unix.admin Dave Hinz :
    > > On 11 Apr 2006 16:29:17 -0700, admin@unixtalk.info wrote:
    > >> the site just started, visit and post your issues

    > > Can you give me a compelling reason why I'd post on a website that may
    > > go *whiff* at any moment, when I could post here and know I can always
    > > find it?

    > Seems easy enough:
    >
    > The OP:
    > - Uses G/2 from doze
    > - Has probably never heard about usenet
    > - Doesn't care about it anyway
    > - Is IT-professional
    >
    > --
    > Michael Heiming (X-PGP-Sig > GPG-Key ID: EDD27B94)
    > mail: echo zvpunry@urvzvat.qr | perl -pe 'y/a-z/n-za-m/'
    > #bofh excuse 300: Digital Manipulator exceeding velocity
    > parameters

  5. Re: New Internet Forum for Unix Support

    On 12 Apr 2006 05:56:41 -0700, admin@unixtalk.info wrote:
    > that is true, we are it professionals, and we do deal with unix issues
    > every day.

    Odd that your domain doesn't seem to resolve.

    > we are unix admin support, team that is trying to provide a free site
    > for people to get answers to there issues, and yes i do know about
    > other news groups and forums.

    And what does your forum offer me that this one does not? By the way,
    your shift key seems not to work. In a field where precision matters,
    that sort of thing is hard not to notice.

    > i'm not trying to get you to pay for any of the service...it's free and
    > you'll get an answer from someone who deals with unix problems every
    > day,

    What does that forum offer that this one does not? It sounds like you
    have a "solution" in search of a problem.

    Next we'll take up "Top-posting: why it's bad".

  6. Re: New Internet Forum for Unix Support

    admin@unixtalk.info wrote:
    > that is true, we are it professionals, and we do deal with unix issues
    > every day.
    > we are unix admin support, team that is trying to provide a free site
    > for people to get answers to there issues, and yes i do know about
    > other news groups and forums.
    > i'm not trying to get you to pay for any of the service...it's free and
    > you'll get an answer from someone who deals with unix problems every
    > day,

    But what does it offer than a newsgroup does not?

    Most of these sites start free, then you get ads all over the place. I suspect
    if there were as many posts/day as on the UNIX newsgroups you would need to find
    a way of financing it, or would be tempted by offers of finance that would mean
    ads on the pages.

    Sites like

    http://www.experts-exchange.com/

    make me laugh. Sure I am going to register on a secure server to read the posts
    they have captured from elsewhere and added some ads to to enhance them. No thanks.

    Then there is 2cpu.com

    http://www.2cpu.com/

    which many say is good, but the ads on that piss me off so much I can hardly
    bring myself to use it. I've emailed them to say the ads are too much, but that
    seems to have gone to /dev/null.

    Tying "unix forum" into Google and I get 44,700,000 hits. There are loads of
    UNIX forums out there.

    For me at least, newsgroups beat any of these forums. So like Dave Hinz, I'll
    be staying on the newsgroups for the forseable future.

    However, if you have a *compelling* argument for why we should use your forum,
    please let me know. I'm not too stubborn to change if there is a better
    alternative, but I am just not convinced there is at this point.

    -----
    Dave K MCSE.

  7. Re: New Internet Forum for Unix Support

    Dave Hinz wrote:
    > On 12 Apr 2006 05:56:41 -0700, admin@unixtalk.info wrote:
    >
    > What does that forum offer that this one does not? It sounds like you
    > have a "solution" in search of a problem.
    >
    > Next we'll take up "Top-posting: why it's bad".

    I'm offering you a verity, some people will post on the same forum
    over and over and get opinion and answers from the same group. Some
    would like to get different opinions, and get answers from all
    different groups..
    It seems that you are getting insulted that a new forum was opened?
    You don't have to go and post anything on it, but some people might
    want to do so.
    If it is offending you then I apologies, that was not the intent of
    this message.
    I'm just offering an alternative, and trying to get a site started,
    if you want to post on it you are more then welcome to do so, if not
    you don't have to.
    You keeping asking me what do I have to offer you, the only offer is an
    answer, I'm not selling you the idea, I'm just putting a post.
    That's all.

  8. Re: New Internet Forum for Unix Support

    On 12 Apr 2006 06:54:15 -0700, admin@unixtalk.info wrote:

    > Dave Hinz wrote:
    >> On 12 Apr 2006 05:56:41 -0700, admin@unixtalk.info wrote:
    >>
    >> What does that forum offer that this one does not? It sounds like you
    >> have a "solution" in search of a problem.
    >>
    >> Next we'll take up "Top-posting: why it's bad".

    > I'm offering you a verity, some people will post on the same forum
    > over and over and get opinion and answers from the same group.

    What's a verity?

    We have what you describe here, now, in a format that can be accessed
    from anywhere.

    > Some
    > would like to get different opinions, and get answers from all
    > different groups..
    > It seems that you are getting insulted that a new forum was opened?

    No, I have asked several times what you offer that this group does not.
    I mean, if you have something that adds value, by all means, tell us
    what it is. If not, it seems like you're going to be yet another in a
    long chain of site owners who are enthused about it to start, then they
    either get bored with it and it goes away, or they get greedy and start
    charging.

    I don't see the advantage. Tell me what the advantage is.

    > You don't have to go and post anything on it, but some people might
    > want to do so.
    > If it is offending you then I apologies, that was not the intent of
    > this message.
    > I'm just offering an alternative, and trying to get a site started,
    > if you want to post on it you are more then welcome to do so, if not
    > you don't have to.

    It's not just for _me_ that I'm asking what the point is, it's so others
    can see your response and, quite frankly, judge your intent by your

    > You keeping asking me what do I have to offer you, the only offer is an
    > answer, I'm not selling you the idea, I'm just putting a post.
    > That's all.

    Good luck.

  9. Re: New Internet Forum for Unix Support

    Begin <1144846601.398451.101540@e56g2000cwe.googlegroups. com>
    On 2006-04-12, admin@unixtalk.info wrote:
    > that is true, we are it professionals, and we do deal with unix issues
    > every day.

    Good to know. From your posts I'd never have gathered.

    You still haven't given a compelling reason why your brand spanking
    shiny new site would be more desirable to use than, say, USENET, except
    by implying that it's just the thing for people who somehow will not or
    can not write a proper[1] and readable posting.

    [1] In netiquette context. See also RFC1855.

  10. Re: New Internet Forum for Unix Support

    On 12 Apr 2006 08:06:17 -0700, admin@unixtalk.info wrote:

    > wow, ..I'm just getting killed here.

    No, we're trying to _help_ you understand. And you are still
    top-posting. And unixtalk.info _still_ doesn't resolve.

    > I'm not trying to beat comp.unix.admin, I'm just trying to offer
    > you other solutions

    To what problems?

  11. Re: New Internet Forum for Unix Support

    Hi Dave
    www.unixtalk.info

    i just tested it and it resolved fine, from my desk and other
    co-workers desk.

    try this link

    http://www.unixtalk.info/

  12. Re: New Internet Forum for Unix Support

    In comp.unix.admin Dave Hinz :
    > On 12 Apr 2006 08:06:17 -0700, admin@unixtalk.info wrote:
    >>
    >> wow, ..I'm just getting killed here.

    > No, we're trying to _help_ you understand. And you are still
    > top-posting. And unixtalk.info _still_ doesn't resolve.

    >> I'm not trying to beat comp.unix.admin, I'm just trying to offer
    >> you other solutions

    > To what problems?

    Thx to you, Doug and others for all the replies, much fun
    reading. ;-))

    #bofh excuse 414: tachyon emissions overloading the system

  13. Re: New Internet Forum for Unix Support

    In article <4a4hklFremvjU2@individual.net>,
    jpd wrote:

    > Begin <1144846601.398451.101540@e56g2000cwe.googlegroups. com>
    > On 2006-04-12, admin@unixtalk.info wrote:
    > > that is true, we are it professionals, and we do deal with unix issues
    > > every day.

    > Good to know. From your posts I'd never have gathered.
    >
    > You still haven't given a compelling reason why your brand spanking
    > shiny new site would be more desirable to use than, say, USENET, except
    > by implying that it's just the thing for people who somehow will not or
    > can not write a proper[1] and readable posting.
    >

    > [1] In netiquette context. See also RFC1855.

    This thread really illustrates the concept "resistance to change" from
    what's known and works. The old saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix
    it." fits in here somewhere also.

    I'm the webmaster for a site of non-technical people running a
    non-profit. Some of us are part of a private majordomo email forum
    that's been around since 1997. I was asked to setup something similar
    for the non-profit and it's 800 members.

    Our ISP actively discouraged me from doing so. They _hate_ email lists
    as so many people view stuff from the senders as spam. So I setup an
    on-line forum like the one the OP created. It got very little traffic
    despite being mentioned numerous times in the newsletters and at our big
    annual meeting/symposium gathering in October.

    The OP was trying to create traffic for his site, albeit in a
    spamvertizing kinda way. I'm trying to increase traffic to our forums,
    but a number of people keep asking "why can't you just use email
    instead?" Yet our ISP really doesn't want us doing this. Professional
    list servers cost 3x/month than our basic ISP account, so we're stuck
    with web forums for now.

    I don't think a news server and private newsgroup are an option for this
    people either. They have enough trouble with computers, email, and a
    browser.

  14. Re: New Internet Forum for Unix Support

    Begin
    On 2006-04-12, Michael Vilain wrote:
    > Our ISP actively discouraged me from doing so. They _hate_ email lists
    > as so many people view stuff from the senders as spam.

    Not only that, but many people are too fscking stupid to a) subscribe,
    b) remember they are subscribed, c) keep the confirmation mail that
    also describes how to unsubscribe, d) refrain from foot in mouth type
    actions like shouting Tuttle style to unsubscribe on the list, write
    abuse reports on subscribed lists, or actually calling the feds over it,
    g) all of the above.

    I don't see how it can be too bloody hard but apparently it is. An
    interesting experiment in this area was clueless-l, but it seems to have
    stopped existing some time ago.

    [snip]
    > I don't think a news server and private newsgroup are an option for
    > this people either. They have enough trouble with computers, email,
    > and a browser.

    You could use a web front-end to a private news server[1]. It would at
    least be much less in the way of reinventing USENET, badly.

    [1] And for that purpose, it doesn't even conflict with my .sig. :-)

  15. Re: New Internet Forum for Unix Support

    Michael Vilain wrote:

    > This thread really illustrates the concept "resistance to change" from
    > what's known and works. The old saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix
    > it." fits in here somewhere also.

    Interesting viewpoint.

    To me it was about software reuse - either reinvent the wheel
    or link to the existing concept your choice. Those who do not
    link to the software library are doomed to reimplement it again
    and again in slightly worse and subtly different ways each
    time. Modules were intended to resolve that and UseNet is
    just another module.

    It was also about market forces and learning. Someone who
    hopes to deliver enough value in their new site better show
    enough skill to suggest it's worth a try. Skill maps across
    some realms so typing in all lower case, failure to quote parts,
    failure to explain the site's unique value don't demonstrate
    skill. Rather like my quick typing and occasional missed or
    duplicated words indicate that I need to double check my
    tasks as I execute them.

    A site with no known uniqueness, with hundreds or preexisting
    competitors, with unskilled advertising, how likely is it to hold
    value? To me that's a challenge to the authors to show
    distinctness, skill and value. But even without any of those
    it remains a valid skill building exercise to build such a forum.
    A task for its own sake as well as a chance to be shown what
    others expect.

    To me it's not "if it ain't broke don't fix it". To me it's "if it's
    not
    better it's not a fix". And to some extent "if the cover is poorly
    done I'm not going to read the book to judge its content".

  16. Re: New Internet Forum for Unix Support

    In comp.unix.admin Doug Freyburger :
    > Michael Vilain wrote:
    >>
    >> This thread really illustrates the concept "resistance to change" from
    >> what's known and works. The old saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix
    >> it." fits in here somewhere also.

    > Interesting viewpoint.

    > To me it was about software reuse - either reinvent the wheel
    > or link to the existing concept your choice. Those who do not

    To me http forum look like those who dunno about mailing lists
    and usenet are doomed to reinvent things with poor outcome.

    Personally I'm not a real fan of all those forums, they are
    missing:

    - Use of my favorite editor
    - Missing spell checking
    - No or pretty lame kill filling capability
    - No possibility to just pipe an article through whatever I like
    - post bone articles
    - content if any can be easily lost
    - more difficult to search
    - dozens more

    In short, a sad joke compared to leafnode + tin and the use of
    groups.google for what it was intended (search able archive).

    [ strong points ]

    #bofh excuse 131: telnet: Unable to connect to remote host:
    Connection refused

  17. Re: New Internet Forum for Unix Support

    Dave (from the UK) wrote:

    [..]

    > Sites like
    >
    > http://www.experts-exchange.com/
    >
    > make me laugh. Sure I am going to register on a secure server to read
    > the posts they have captured from elsewhere and added some ads to to
    > enhance them. No thanks.

    Actually, that's not what they do. First of all, I am no fan of web fora
    such as the OP is advertising, and I prefer USENET for technical
    discussion. But, I've found Experts-Exchange useful enough to me in my
    daily work to sign up. And to be fair, they don't "capture" posts from
    elsewhere and recycle them. At least, I haven't seen that. On two or
    three occasions I've posted questions regarding difficult technical
    issues I was fighting with and received intelligent and helpful
    USENET instead? Probably. I'm not arguing that point; I'm merely
    suggesting that you have mis-characterized the nature of their site.

    DISCLAIMER: I have no financial interest in or arrangement with
    Experts-Exchange other than as an end-user/member.

    Regards,

    andrew@lod.com

  18. Re: New Internet Forum for Unix Support

    In article <443d0476@212.67.96.135>,
    "Dave (from the UK)"
    wrote:

    > But what does it offer than a newsgroup does not?

    What does any web forum offer that a newsgroup doesn't? You could just
    as well ask why Slashdot exists, when all of its material could easily
    be in newsgroups. Yet there are thousands of web forums, many of which
    are on the same topics as existing Usenet newsgroups.

    What they offer is a different user community -- believe it or not,
    there are thousands of competent computer professionals who never use
    Usenet.

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA

  19. Re: New Internet Forum for Unix Support

    In article ,
    Michael Heiming wrote:

    > In comp.unix.admin Doug Freyburger :
    > > Michael Vilain wrote:
    > >>
    > >> This thread really illustrates the concept "resistance to change" from
    > >> what's known and works. The old saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix
    > >> it." fits in here somewhere also.

    > > Interesting viewpoint.

    > > To me it was about software reuse - either reinvent the wheel
    > > or link to the existing concept your choice. Those who do not

    > To me http forum look like those who dunno about mailing lists
    > and usenet are doomed to reinvent things with poor outcome.

    Since there are now a handful of standard forum implementations, which
    most of these use, could they really be considered to be "reinventing"
    anything? It has become a standard paradigm, it's not new any more.

    > Personally I'm not a real fan of all those forums, they are
    > missing:
    >
    > - Use of my favorite editor

    That's more a limitation of web browsers than the forums. GUI
    newsreaders also don't let you use your favorite editor, so Usenet is
    not much different unless you happen to use a newsreader that allows you
    to specify a particular editor. And the only reason there are
    newsreaders that offer this option is because Usenet predates widespread
    GUI availability, and the traditional text-based newsreaders haven't
    died out.

    > - Missing spell checking

    Most forums offer this, I think.

    > - No or pretty lame kill filling capability

    True.

    > - No possibility to just pipe an article through whatever I like

    Again, that's a browser vs newsreader problem, not a forum versus Usenet
    issue. Although I admit that complex web pages, like web forums, may be
    inherently harder to extract the message text from automatically in
    order to pipe it. But if there are any standard XML tags for forum
    messages, they could be used by browsers to do this.

    > - post bone articles

    "bone articles"?

    > - content if any can be easily lost

    Most news servers expire articles after a few weeks.

    > - more difficult to search

    Huh? NNTP's searching capabilities are extremely limited. Every web
    forum I've used has a search feature, and they often have lots of
    options. Are you comparing them to Google Groups's search engine? But
    Google Groups is a web-forum-style front-end, not plain Usenet.

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA

  20. Re: New Internet Forum for Unix Support

    In comp.unix.admin Barry Margolin :
    > In article ,
    > Michael Heiming wrote:
    >> In comp.unix.admin Doug Freyburger :
    >> > Michael Vilain wrote:

    [ http forum vs. usenet ]

    >> - Use of my favorite editor

    > That's more a limitation of web browsers than the forums. GUI
    > newsreaders also don't let you use your favorite editor, so Usenet is
    > not much different unless you happen to use a newsreader that allows you
    > to specify a particular editor. And the only reason there are
    > newsreaders that offer this option is because Usenet predates widespread
    > GUI availability, and the traditional text-based newsreaders haven't
    > died out.

    Wrong, while I'm using 'tin' just checked out knode (KDE GUI nntp
    reader) and it does offer to use "External Editor" of your choice.

    >> - Missing spell checking

    > Most forums offer this, I think.

    Didn't saw a single that did until today.

    >> - No or pretty lame kill filling capability

    > True.

    >> - No possibility to just pipe an article through whatever I like

    > Again, that's a browser vs newsreader problem, not a forum versus Usenet
    > issue. Although I admit that complex web pages, like web forums, may be
    > inherently harder to extract the message text from automatically in
    > order to pipe it. But if there are any standard XML tags for forum
    > messages, they could be used by browsers to do this.

    Perhaps, still dunno a single GUI browser allowing this, which
    was my point.

    >> - post bone articles

    > "bone articles"?

    Store articles for later posting.

    >> - content if any can be easily lost

    > Most news servers expire articles after a few weeks.

    Sure, but there are multiple www sites mirroring usenet for
    archive purposes, the most important groups.google.com.

    >> - more difficult to search

    > Huh? NNTP's searching capabilities are extremely limited. Every web
    > forum I've used has a search feature, and they often have lots of
    > options. Are you comparing them to Google Groups's search engine? But
    > Google Groups is a web-forum-style front-end, not plain Usenet.

    Of course it is and that the purpose of it.

    Sorry, but I don't see your points...

    #bofh excuse 284: Electrons on a bender

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast