Need assistance getting internet access with Solaris 9 - Unix

This is a discussion on Need assistance getting internet access with Solaris 9 - Unix ; I modified resolv.conf, defaultrouter, netmasks and hosts file without luck... Am I doing something wrong..?? Below are my settings from my WinTel box. Ethernet adapter XP NIC: Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Description . . . . . . . ...

  1. Need assistance getting internet access with Solaris 9

    I modified resolv.conf, defaultrouter, netmasks and hosts file without
    luck...
    Am I doing something wrong..??

    Below are my settings from my WinTel box.

    Ethernet adapter XP NIC:

    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 3Com EtherLink 10/100 PCI
    For Complete PC M
    gement NIC (3C905C-TX)
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-50-DA-08-01-B5
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

    Thanks,
    Denis

  2. Re: Need assistance getting internet access with Solaris 9

    deniskaran@gmail.com wrote:
    > I modified resolv.conf, defaultrouter, netmasks and hosts file without
    > luck...
    > Am I doing something wrong..??

    Possibly yes, possibly no. But how can anyone tell you, when they don't
    know what modifications you have made?

    Once you have told us, try:

    % ping 212.58.224.126

    and see if it returns:

    212.58.224.126 is alive

    or

    no answer from 212.58.224.126

    That is the BBC web site. If that works, but your can't get to
    www.bbc.co.uk, it is probably a DNS problem.

    But until you say what you have done, we have no way to help.

    --
    Dave K

  3. Re: Need assistance getting internet access with Solaris 9

    Well I can browse websites via IP Address..
    I opend up the Sun webpage (72.5.124.61) via IP addy.
    I can also ping...

    bash-2.05# showrev
    Hostname: orion
    Hostid: 80b597d0
    Release: 5.9
    Kernel architecture: sun4u
    Application architecture: sparc
    Hardware provider: Sun_Microsystems
    Domain:
    Kernel version: SunOS 5.9 Generic 118558-11 Jul 2005

    bash-2.05# ping 212.58.224.126
    212.58.224.126 is alive

    Thanks,
    Denis K

  4. Re: Need assistance getting internet access with Solaris 9

    deniskaran@gmail.com wrote:
    > Well I can browse websites via IP Address..
    > I opend up the Sun webpage (72.5.124.61) via IP addy.
    > I can also ping...

    Then you probably need to make sure that /etc/resolv.conf is
    set up correctly and that "dns" is on the "hosts" line in
    /etc/nsswitch.conf.

    - Logan

  5. Re: Need assistance getting internet access with Solaris 9

    Dave (from the UK) wrote:

    > You should have a line like:
    >
    > hosts: files dns
    >
    > in /etc/nsswitch.conf
    >
    > If it just says
    >
    > hosts: files
    >
    > then that is your problem. I suspect that is what it is.

    I had a brain bypass there. As someone else pointed out, you need
    /etc/resolv.conf right too. The IPs are the addresses of your name
    servers, which your ISP should give you.

    sparrow /export/home/drkirkby % cat /etc/resolv.conf
    domain althorne.org
    nameserver 212.67.120.148
    nameserver 212.67.96.128

    --
    Dave K

  6. Re: Need assistance getting internet access with Solaris 9