Disable IBM AIX firewall - Unix

This is a discussion on Disable IBM AIX firewall - Unix ; Hi I am running an IBM AIX 5.3 , i can ping on to the other computers on the network. However i cannot access it through a browser. Does anyone know how i can check if there is a firewall ...

  1. Disable IBM AIX firewall

    Hi

    I am running an IBM AIX 5.3 , i can ping on to the other computers on
    the network. However i cannot access it through a browser. Does anyone
    know how i can check if there is a firewall set up or a way i can
    disable it. Please help.

    Thanks

  2. Re: Disable IBM AIX firewall

    rynox wrote:

    > I am running an IBM AIX 5.3 , i can ping on to the other computers on
    > the network. However i cannot access it through a browser. Does anyone
    > know how i can check if there is a firewall set up or a way i can
    > disable it. Please help.

    Do you have reason to believe any of those other servers are
    running a web server? A browser is an HTTP client program.
    It contacts HTTP server programs on the machine specified in
    the URL. No server process, no response. AIX does not turn
    on http service by default.

  3. Re: Disable IBM AIX firewall

    I have tried to check if there is any kind of firewall which is turn on
    and i am trying to disable it , but when i check in smit , there doesnt
    seem to have any firewall settings.

    my situation is , i have EAServer running on the AIX , but i do not
    have a browser on the AIX to view the EAServer web page when it is
    started. So , i tried to use another workstation to access that
    EAServer web page but i cant. But i can ping the AIX and vice versa.

  4. Re: Disable IBM AIX firewall

    Hi Doug,

    I am new to AIX and i am trying to access my AIX from other
    workstation.

    Basically , i have 2 options , 1 is set up a browser in AIX ( which i
    dont know how ) , 2. access the AIX from other workstation ( which i am
    trying out now )

    Hope you can help me out.

  5. Re: Disable IBM AIX firewall

    rynox wrote:
    > I have tried to check if there is any kind of firewall which is turn on
    > and i am trying to disable it , but when i check in smit , there doesnt
    > seem to have any firewall settings.
    >
    > my situation is , i have EAServer running on the AIX , but i do not
    > have a browser on the AIX to view the EAServer web page when it is
    > started. So , i tried to use another workstation to access that
    > EAServer web page but i cant. But i can ping the AIX and vice versa.

    I'm not an AIX person, but are you sure EAServer is running on port 80,
    rather than some other port?

    Try this on your AIX box.

    telnet locahost 80

    If you get a response, something like that below (and I'm connecting to
    Apache, not EAServer, so it will not be the same)

    # telnet localhost 80
    Trying 127.0.0.1...
    Connected to localhost.
    Escape character is '^]'.

    then there is a server of some sort running there. But if you get
    somthing like:

    Trying 127.0.0.1...
    telnet: connect to address 127.0.0.1: Connection refused
    Trying ::1...
    telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Network is unreachable

    then there is no server running on port 80.

    It might well be running on a different port. I'm not sure of the best
    way to find out which, but perhaps /etc/services will list it. If not,
    run nmap and do a port scan on yourself.
    --
    Dave K

  6. Re: Disable IBM AIX firewall

    In article <1135905543.947032.5080@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.co m>, rynox wrote:
    > Hi Doug,
    >
    > I am new to AIX and i am trying to access my AIX from other
    > workstation.
    >
    > Basically , i have 2 options , 1 is set up a browser in AIX ( which i
    > dont know how ) , 2. access the AIX from other workstation ( which i am
    > trying out now )
    >
    > Hope you can help me out.

    Please post relevant text to which you are replying...

    Kevin
    --
    Unix Guy Consulting, LLC
    Unix and Linux Automation, Shell, Perl and CGI scripting

+ Reply to Thread