ftpuser and dbdirect users : can these users be deleted? - Unix

This is a discussion on ftpuser and dbdirect users : can these users be deleted? - Unix ; Hi, I have two users in my production system: ftpuser and dbdirect. I need to figure out if these are default users generated by OS during installation like root, daemon etc. or not. Moreover, I need to study impact of ...

  1. ftpuser and dbdirect users : can these users be deleted?

    Hi,

    I have two users in my production system: ftpuser and dbdirect.
    I need to figure out if these are default users generated by OS during
    installation like root, daemon etc. or not.
    Moreover, I need to study impact of removing these users from system
    since we don't seem to use them directly.

    Can anyone provide pointers/info on the same?

    Regards,

    Praveen

  2. Re: ftpuser and dbdirect users : can these users be deleted?

    In comp.unix.admin kell :
    > Hi,

    > I have two users in my production system: ftpuser and dbdirect.

    Fine.

    > I need to figure out if these are default users generated by OS during
    > installation like root, daemon etc. or not.

    Whatever OS you are running?
    Look at their UID/GID to get a first idea.

    > Moreover, I need to study impact of removing these users from system
    > since we don't seem to use them directly.

    Why? If they can't login remotely there's no problem. I'd double
    check quite carefully what this user is used for, cronjobs, files
    owned by this users over the whole system/etc.

    > Can anyone provide pointers/info on the same?

    Hopefully this isn't an important "production system" where
    someone accidentally gave you root.

    Dunno why, but it seemed obvious before taking a look you are
    using google + IE. ;-)

    Good luck

    #bofh excuse 63: not properly grounded, please bury computer

+ Reply to Thread