cron - Unix

This is a discussion on cron - Unix ; Hello everybody Can someone please help me with the following problem: I'm trying to learn about cron and cronjobs. Working on a Ubuntu 5.04 machine. if I edit my crontab with the crontab -e command, and I enter the following ...

  1. cron

    Hello everybody

    Can someone please help me with the following problem:

    I'm trying to learn about cron and cronjobs. Working on a Ubuntu 5.04
    machine. if I edit my crontab with the crontab -e command, and I enter the
    following line:
    1-59 * * * * aterm&
    ,everything works fine. Why does none of the following work?
    1-59 * * * * firefox&
    1-59 * * * * firefox
    1-59 * * * * /usr/bin/firefox&

    The manual pages don't seem to give me an answer to this question.

    Thanks a lot,

    Daan

  2. Re: cron

    noyb wrote:

    > ,everything works fine. Why does none of the following work?
    > 1-59 * * * * firefox&

    How are you defining those jobs?
    Have you checked your syslog?
    What erors do you get?
    Have you defined the DISPLAY variable in your crontab
    (ie DISPLAY=:0.0)?

    Without more infos one has to guess.

    --
    Osama says: "I'm free, what about you?"

  3. Re: cron

    Bill Marcum wrote:

    > I'm surprised that aterm will run without setting DISPLAY.

    Sh*t, this i overlooked

    --
    "Every feature is a bug unless it can be turned off."

  4. Re: cron

    On Wed, 02 Nov 2005 13:48:12 +0100, Uli Wachowitz
    wrote:

    > noyb wrote:
    >
    >> ,everything works fine. Why does none of the following work?
    >> 1-59 * * * * firefox&

    > How are you defining those jobs?
    > Have you checked your syslog?
    > What erors do you get?
    > Have you defined the DISPLAY variable in your crontab
    > (ie DISPLAY=:0.0)?

    This was indeed the problem. Thanks for your help. I also found that aterm
    did work because it has a default display.

    Thanks,

    D.

+ Reply to Thread