java on unix help - Unix

This is a discussion on java on unix help - Unix ; I have already posted on java groups: I am trying to execute a java program with -Xmx2700m it fails on gentoo. the max i can set is -Xmx2650m. But if I am able to set much larger values on Fedora ...

  1. java on unix help

    I have already posted on java groups:

    I am trying to execute a java program with -Xmx2700m it fails on
    gentoo. the max i can set is -Xmx2650m.

    But if I am able to set much larger values on Fedora linux.
    We are using same jdk1.5.0 on both systems. any pointers please?
    Following is the Test.java program on gentoo:

    public class Test
    {
    public static void main(String[] args)
    {
    System.out.println("Hello World");
    }
    }

    # java -Xmx2700m Test ~
    # uname -a ~
    Linux linux6 2.6.12-gentoo-r6 #1 SMP

    On Fedora Core 3:
    ------------------
    # uname -a
    Linux linux7 2.6.9-1.667 #1

    # java -Xmx2900m Test
    Hello World

    TIA
    Ravi KAtti

  2. Re: java on unix help

    ravikatti@gmail.com said:
    >I have already posted on java groups:
    >
    >I am trying to execute a java program with -Xmx2700m it fails on
    >gentoo. the max i can set is -Xmx2650m.
    >
    >But if I am able to set much larger values on Fedora linux.
    >We are using same jdk1.5.0 on both systems. any pointers please?

    Could be that the kernel on gentoo is compiled with a different
    memory model than that on Fedora.
    --
    Wolf a.k.a. Juha Laiho Espoo, Finland

  3. Re: java on unix help

    Juha Laiho wrote:

    > ravikatti@gmail.com said:
    > >I have already posted on java groups:
    > >
    > >I am trying to execute a java program with -Xmx2700m it fails on
    > >gentoo. the max i can set is -Xmx2650m.
    > >
    > >But if I am able to set much larger values on Fedora linux.
    > >We are using same jdk1.5.0 on both systems. any pointers please?

    > Could be that the kernel on gentoo is compiled with a different
    > memory model than that on Fedora.
    > --
    > Wolf a.k.a. Juha Laiho Espoo, Finland
    > (GC 3.0) GIT d- s+: a C++ ULSH++++$ P++@ L+++ E- W+$@ N++ !K w !O !M V
    > PS(+) PE Y+ PGP(+) t- 5 !X R !tv b+ !DI D G e+ h---- r+++ y++++

    Hey thanks for the reply. Its all about allocating contiguous memory.
    Any kernel tweaks that can be helpful?

  4. Re: java on unix help

    In comp.unix.admin ravikatti@gmail.com:
    > I have already posted on java groups:

    > I am trying to execute a java program with -Xmx2700m it fails on
    > gentoo. the max i can set is -Xmx2650m.

    > But if I am able to set much larger values on Fedora linux.
    > We are using same jdk1.5.0 on both systems. any pointers please?

    [..]

    > # java -Xmx2700m Test ~
    > Could not reserve enough space for object heap

    Try raising (needs root permissions) the maximum data segment
    size ('ulimit -d ') and see if this works better. Check the
    working box settings and use this as start.

    [..]

    Good luck

    #bofh excuse 109: The electricity substation in the car park
    blew up.

+ Reply to Thread