How to setup and use T2 (Alternate Thread Library) in Solaris 8 - Unix

This is a discussion on How to setup and use T2 (Alternate Thread Library) in Solaris 8 - Unix ; Hello, We are running Solaris 8 with kernel level 117350-25 with Veritas 3.5 MP3 and Oracle 10g. Our application needs to be upgraded to the next release. The vendor is recommending us to go to Solaris 9 for its default ...

  1. How to setup and use T2 (Alternate Thread Library) in Solaris 8

    Hello,

    We are running Solaris 8 with kernel level 117350-25 with Veritas 3.5
    MP3 and Oracle 10g. Our application needs to be upgraded to the next
    release. The vendor is recommending us to go to Solaris 9 for its
    default T2(alternate thread library) availabiliy. Unfortunately, due
    to time constraint, we could not upgrade our OS to 9 at this time. As
    a result, they are recommending us to use T2 (alternate thread
    library), instead of the default thread library in Solaris 8 for this
    new application release.

    In order to use the T2 library in Solaris 8, i.e.,
    /usr/lib/lwp/libthread.so.1, I've been instructed to include the
    following environment variable in the application owner's login profile
    :

    LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/lwp

    LD_LIBRARY_PATH_64=/usr/lib/lwp/64

    Are there any other Solaris 8 T2 alternate thread library setups I need
    to do for our new application release ?? How do you verify that the
    T2 is being used correctly in Solaris 8 ?? And if there is any problem
    / issue to our other software e.g., any impact to software like
    Veritas, Oracle ??

    Thanks for your help,

    Bill

  2. Re: How to setup and use T2 (Alternate Thread Library) in Solaris8

    underh20 wrote:
    > following environment variable in the application owner's login profile
    > :
    >
    > LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/lwp
    >
    > LD_LIBRARY_PATH_64=/usr/lib/lwp/64
    >

    > Are there any other Solaris 8 T2 alternate thread library setups I need
    > to do for our new application release ?? How do you verify that the
    > T2 is being used correctly in Solaris 8 ?? And if there is any problem
    > / issue to our other software e.g., any impact to software like
    > Veritas, Oracle ??

    I'm no expert on threads but if this environment variable is only set in
    the application owners login profile then this setting will only affect
    processes subsequently begun by that login. So Oracle processes etc.
    which run under different ownership will be unaffected.

    JohnK

+ Reply to Thread