cyrus mail backup - Unix

This is a discussion on cyrus mail backup - Unix ; I backed up cyrus (including mailboxes.db). Restored it after reformatting the server. Now, some users can not see the folders backed up. I realize it probably have something to do with ACL information (?) and/or user specific database information in ...

  1. cyrus mail backup

    I backed up cyrus (including mailboxes.db). Restored it after
    reformatting the server. Now, some users can not see the folders backed
    up. I realize it probably have something to do with ACL information (?)
    and/or user specific database information in users folders. I'm in over
    my head here... Can anyone help?

  2. Re: cyrus mail backup

    i'm replying to myself to give more info on this. I realized i didn't
    provide enough information...
    I inherited this server with very little experience about os x server
    (and unix for that matter) and even littler information given to me
    about all the settings, etc.. It is a 10.3 os x server. Next thing I
    know, the following week, I was told people are not able to get their
    mails. First it seemed like passwords were not working, which
    immediately scared me. I thought maybe the server got hacked in. Then,
    little more research and I realized some of the passwords (like the
    root password) was still working. It seemed certain kind of user
    accounts were messed up. I looked into this, doing more research
    online. It seemed that something was gone haywire essentiallly with
    some parts of the Berkeley DB (not totally sure aobut this though). I
    was not able to repair anything (probably not enough knowledge).
    Looking at other things, being able to backup, I (and the other guy who
    was trying to help me) decided to wipe it all off and restore.

    So, now we have the server back basically. We just use the mail
    software that comes with it (which is using Cyrus in the background).
    When backing up. We backed up the mail folders, user folders and the
    mailboxed.db. The only thing that I was not able to foloow was
    converting the mailboxed.db to text (the commands i read didnt' work
    for some reason). Now, it seemed by simply putting the back the mail in
    their respective user folders (after creating new users with same
    names) it seemed like it was working. But no matter what the email
    clients, people can not see their mails in respected folders.

    Any ideas? I appreciate the help. It has been a great learning
    experience but I am sooo ready to find a resolution to all this...

+ Reply to Thread