port 587 for SMTP - Unix

This is a discussion on port 587 for SMTP - Unix ; as far as i know, port 587 is used for SMTP as a workaround because many high speed ISP providers block port 25 to prevent spammers going thru their line. does anyone know if this is just a common practice, ...

  1. port 587 for SMTP

    as far as i know, port 587 is used for SMTP as a workaround because
    many high speed ISP providers block port 25 to prevent spammers going
    thru their line.

    does anyone know if this is just a common practice, or if 587 is in
    some standard spec or recommendation?

    Xah
    xah@xahlee.org
    http://xahlee.org/

  2. Re: port 587 for SMTP

    In article <1125536929.563711.304190@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>,
    "Xah Lee" wrote:

    > as far as i know, port 587 is used for SMTP as a workaround because
    > many high speed ISP providers block port 25 to prevent spammers going
    > thru their line.
    >
    > does anyone know if this is just a common practice, or if 587 is in
    > some standard spec or recommendation?

    RFC 2476, Message Submission.

    Is there a reason you couldn't do your own search at www.rfc-editor.org?

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA

  3. Re: port 587 for SMTP

    Barry Margolin wrote:
    > In article <1125536929.563711.304190@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>,
    > "Xah Lee" wrote:
    >

    >>as far as i know, port 587 is used for SMTP as a workaround because
    >>many high speed ISP providers block port 25 to prevent spammers going
    >>thru their line.
    >>
    >>does anyone know if this is just a common practice, or if 587 is in
    >>some standard spec or recommendation?

    > RFC 2476, Message Submission.
    >
    > Is there a reason you couldn't do your own search at www.rfc-editor.org?

    "May i be a troll, but sometimes i think that my learning and issues and
    the bag of fire inside of me are too important for the progress of
    society ... If you think i'm a troll, then you should know that the best
    response to a troll is to not respond. You are now a victim of troll. "
    -- Xah Lee

    "(RFC = Really ****ing Common), and popularity resulted from
    being free, from the RFCs of the fantastically incompent by the truely
    stupid unix tech morons." -- Xah Lee

+ Reply to Thread