How do you really pronounce WHOIS?? - Unix

This is a discussion on How do you really pronounce WHOIS?? - Unix ; The most obvious way, it seems, is "Who is?", since that is obviously where the term comes from. However I have also heard people prounounce it as a one syllable word, that kind of rhymes with "Joyce" or "Voice" -> ...

  1. How do you really pronounce WHOIS??

    The most obvious way, it seems, is "Who is?", since that is obviously
    where the term comes from.

    However I have also heard people prounounce it as a one syllable word,
    that kind of rhymes with "Joyce" or "Voice" -> "woyce" or "woice".

    which one is correct?

  2. Re: How do you really pronounce WHOIS??

    Ted Jones wrote:
    > The most obvious way, it seems, is "Who is?", since that is obviously
    > where the term comes from.
    >
    > However I have also heard people prounounce it as a one syllable word,
    > that kind of rhymes with "Joyce" or "Voice" -> "woyce" or "woice".
    >
    > which one is correct?

    "Who is". Duh! Anyone doing anything else really needs to get a clue. On my
    Novell network there is a command called "whoami". That's "Who Am I", not
    wo-ammy or some stupid thing.

    --
    Indecision is the key to flexibility.

  3. Re: How do you really pronounce WHOIS??

    Who is.

    "Ted Jones" wrote in message
    news:1125197674.952566.251260@g49g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    > The most obvious way, it seems, is "Who is?", since that is obviously
    > where the term comes from.
    >
    > However I have also heard people prounounce it as a one syllable word,
    > that kind of rhymes with "Joyce" or "Voice" -> "woyce" or "woice".
    >
    > which one is correct?

  4. Re: How do you really pronounce WHOIS??

  5. Re: How do you really pronounce WHOIS??

    On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 19:54:34 -0700, Ted Jones wrote:

    > The most obvious way, it seems, is "Who is?", since that is obviously
    > where the term comes from.

    In France it would likely be pronounced as hwah

    --
    Jafar Calley
    Producer - http://moonlife-records.com

  6. Re: How do you really pronounce WHOIS??

    Hello Ted:

    I will join in with the masses and suggest that "WHO-Is" is preferred.

    It begs the issue of speaking with others about these commands and tools. I
    had issues with pronouncing SCSI as "skuzzy", but eventually I gave in.

    Good luck!

    Ray Schwartz

    "Ted Jones" wrote in message
    news:1125197674.952566.251260@g49g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    > The most obvious way, it seems, is "Who is?", since that is obviously
    > where the term comes from.
    >
    > However I have also heard people prounounce it as a one syllable word,
    > that kind of rhymes with "Joyce" or "Voice" -> "woyce" or "woice".
    >
    > which one is correct?

  7. Re: How do you really pronounce WHOIS??

    > The most obvious way, it seems, is "Who is?", since that is obviously
    > where the term comes from.
    >
    > However I have also heard people prounounce it as a one syllable word,
    > that kind of rhymes with "Joyce" or "Voice" -> "woyce" or "woice".
    >
    > which one is correct?

    May I extend this question to the acronym "URL"?

    I usually pronounce it as "yu-ar-ell" but some time ago met a
    person who told me it should be pronounced like "earl".

    Dirk

+ Reply to Thread