Change color of key words in MAN pages - Unix

This is a discussion on Change color of key words in MAN pages - Unix ; When viewing the man pages of any command on a Linux OS telnetted using X Windows, the colors seem to be messed up. When trying to view the parameters of a man page such as: man [-acdfFhkKtwW] [--path] [-m system] ...

  1. Change color of key words in MAN pages

    When viewing the man pages of any command on a Linux OS telnetted using
    X Windows, the colors seem to be messed up. When trying to view the
    parameters of a man page such as:
    man [-acdfFhkKtwW] [--path] [-m system] [-p string] [-C
    config_file]
    [-M pathlist] [-P pager] [-S section_list] [section] name ...

    They are showing up as a bright yellow and very hard to read. I have
    to view the man page by creating a temporary file: man | col
    -b > .mantxt

    I looked at the config file for the man command (/etc/man.config), but
    I don't see any color references being mentioned. How can I change the
    default colors the man command uses when displaying a reference?

    *PS - Even if I use putty to login to the server, the manual pages
    still have weird colors.

  2. Re: Change color of key words in MAN pages

    On 25 Aug 2005 12:40:13 -0700, adam.petrie@gmail.com wrote:
    > When viewing the man pages of any command on a Linux OS telnetted using
    > X Windows, the colors seem to be messed up. When trying to view the
    > parameters of a man page such as:

    Please read http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
    it would have been nice to give us a man page example to check and which linux.

    Guessing you have not set the TERM terminal environment variable.

    Guessing you can turn off color in /etc/man.config

  3. Re: Change color of key words in MAN pages

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On 25 Aug 2005 12:40:13 -0700, adam.petrie@gmail.com wrote:
    >> When viewing the man pages of any command on a Linux OS telnetted using
    >> X Windows, the colors seem to be messed up. When trying to view the
    >> parameters of a man page such as:

    > Please read http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

    don't bother (most of the people recommending it need more help than that ;-)

    > it would have been nice to give us a man page example to check and which linux.

    it doesn't matter (they're all based on groff).

    > Guessing you have not set the TERM terminal environment variable.

    that's irrelevant for this case - it's hardcoded grotty (well chosen name)

    > Guessing you can turn off color in /etc/man.config

    finally.

    man grotty

    --
    Thomas E. Dickey
    http://invisible-island.net

  4. Re: Change color of key words in MAN pages

    On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 23:44:33 -0000, Thomas Dickey wrote:
    > Bit Twister wrote:
    >
    >> Please read http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

    > don't bother (most of the people recommending it need more help than that ;-)

    But you would be supprised how knowing what linux and version can help.

    >> it would have been nice to give us a man page example to check and which linux.

    > it doesn't matter (they're all based on groff).
    >
    >> Guessing you have not set the TERM terminal environment variable.

    > that's irrelevant for this case

    I don't know, I would have thought using xterm would help.

    > - it's hardcoded grotty (well chosen name)
    >
    >> Guessing you can turn off color in /etc/man.config

    > finally.
    >
    > man grotty

    But in Mandriva 2006 /etc/man.config, we see
    # If you have a new troff (version 1.18.1?) and its colored output
    # causes problems, add the -c option to TROFF, NROFF, JNROFF.

    Then again your can override the colors with .Xresources if using
    xterm.

  5. Re: Change color of key words in MAN pages

    I do have a .Xresources in my .profile as the term is set to xterm. I
    tried renaming it to see if that was causing the problem. After going
    back in, sure enough, the colors looked different. So, at least now I
    now what is causing the difference in the color schemes. All I have to
    do is figure out what line(s) is/are causing the problem.

+ Reply to Thread