new installation solaris 9 - Unix

This is a discussion on new installation solaris 9 - Unix ; Hi I am facing this problem on new sun fire 880. Straight from supplier. Graphic card is not there so we have to use to consul to login. When I tried to use Tera Timinal and tried to login to ...

  1. new installation solaris 9

    Hi

    I am facing this problem on new sun fire 880. Straight from supplier.

    Graphic card is not there so we have to use to consul to login.

    When I tried to use Tera Timinal and tried to login to server. Server
    refuses.I am not allow to get OK PROMPT.

    Instead asking me for user name and password.

    This I never experienced this before with a new machine.

    Please help me; I need to get contact with the server so I can install
    Solaris to server.

    Jo

  2. Re: new installation solaris 9

    In article , "jo"
    wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > I am facing this problem on new sun fire 880. Straight from supplier.
    >

    > Graphic card is not there so we have to use to consul to login.
    >

    > When I tried to use Tera Timinal and tried to login to server. Server
    > refuses.I am not allow to get OK PROMPT.
    >
    > Instead asking me for user name and password.
    >
    > This I never experienced this before with a new machine.
    >

    > Please help me; I need to get contact with the server so I can install
    > Solaris to server.
    >

    > Jo

    You need to read up on Solaris installation on the Sun Web site.

    Or hire a Sun consultant to help you with this first install.

  3. Re: new installation solaris 9

    On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 08:42:48 +0200, jo wrote:
    > Hi
    > I am facing this problem on new sun fire 880. Straight from supplier.
    > Graphic card is not there so we have to use to consul to login.

    Ah. Never good when you need a lawyer present to do your job.
    (sorry...language humor...)

    > When I tried to use Tera Timinal and tried to login to server. Server
    > refuses.I am not allow to get OK PROMPT.
    > Instead asking me for user name and password.

    It sounds like it is pre-installed with Solaris. I honestly don't know
    why they do this, because I don't know a single sysadmin who will put an
    unknown build that they're not responsible for into production.

    > This I never experienced this before with a new machine.
    > Please help me; I need to get contact with the server so I can install
    > Solaris to server.

    You're nearly there. Issue a stop-A (L1-A perhaps - depending on your
    terminal) which should get you back to the OK prompt. At that point,
    put the Solaris install media of your choice into the CDROM drive, and:
    boot cdrom

    That'll get you to where you expect to be. Or, maybe you can log in to
    the existing installation. Try username of root and for password just
    hit enter or return. If you can get in that way, one way to get onto
    the cdrom to install the way _you_ want it is:
    # reboot -- -cdrom
    (...I _think_)
    or, bring it to the OK prompt with:
    # init 0