mac os x ftp not sftp?? - Unix

This is a discussion on mac os x ftp not sftp?? - Unix ; in Mac OS X, why it run ftp server by default but not sftp?? Xah xah@xahlee.org ∑ http://xahlee.org/...

  1. mac os x ftp not sftp??

    in Mac OS X, why it run ftp server by default but not sftp??

    Xah
    xah@xahlee.org
    http://xahlee.org/

  2. Re: mac os x ftp not sftp??

    well actually, as it comes to you, by default (that is when it comes first
    install or from the factory) neither ftp server of sftp is enabled.

    That is, no server is enabled of either type.

    What you will need to do is turn them on for whichever one you need. For
    example, to turn on only ftp access go into system preferences, and in
    sharing. What you do is turn on "ftp access" to turn on ftp. that will only
    turn on ftp of course. same with sftp ssh.

    in article 1123952958.701748.46390@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.c om,
    xah@xahlee.org at xah@xahlee.org wrote on 14/8/05 3:09 AM:

    > in Mac OS X, why it run ftp server by default but not sftp??
    >
    > Xah
    > xah@xahlee.org
    > http://xahlee.org/

  3. Re: mac os x ftp not sftp??

    On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 13:09:18 -0400, xah@xahlee.org wrote
    (in article <1123952958.701748.46390@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.c om>):

    > in Mac OS X, why it run ftp server by default but not sftp??
    >
    > Xah
    > xah@xahlee.org
    > ∑ http://xahlee.org/

    sftp _is_ available by default. You just have to use Terminal. Or a GUI
    client which support sftp.

    See, for example,
    or
    , both easily spotted by Googling 'mac
    os x sftp'.

    Or you could read the OS X Server manuals. Or, you could go to the Support
    page on Apple's site and search for 'sftp'.

    And why, oh why, is a _Mac_ question crossposted to c.u.a?

    Followups set to c.s.m.s.

  4. Re: mac os x ftp not sftp??

    xah@xahlee.org wrote:

    > in Mac OS X, why it run ftp server by default but not sftp??

    FTP access is actually Truth in Advertising.

    But SFTP access is not as easy to spot. To get SSH sftp access, you
    need to enable "Remote Login", which enables up the SSH daemons.

    System Preferences -> Sharing -> Remote Login

    Bob Harris

  5. Re: mac os x ftp not sftp??

    Bob Harris writes:

    > But SFTP access is not as easy to spot. To get SSH sftp access, you
    > need to enable "Remote Login", which enables up the SSH daemons.
    >
    > System Preferences -> Sharing -> Remote Login

    SFTP ("SSH FTP") is tunnelled through the SSH program. (This is
    probably the easiest way to think about it.)

    SSH was orignally designed to allow remote logins (think Terminal.app)
    on Unix systems, and OS X inherited it from the BSD code it has. Most
    people don't need or use SSH, but those who do are very glad that it's
    there.

    --
    David Magda

  6. Re: mac os x ftp not sftp??

    ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.sys.mac.system.]
    On 2005-08-13, David Magda wrote:
    > SFTP ("SSH FTP") is tunnelled through the SSH program. (This is
    > probably the easiest way to think about it.)

    Easy, maybe; wrong, for sure. 'Tunneling' is a very specific concept in
    the context of ssh, and it doesn't apply to sftp. In particular, sftp
    is _not_ ftp tunneled through ssh. It's an ssh subsystem that's
    completely independent of ftp.

    The more important point was made before, by the previous poster:
    neither an ftp nor an sftp server are enabled by default in osx. The OP
    is simply mistaken about this. Both can be enabled through the "Sharing"
    System Preference gui. Since sftp is a component of ssh, it's enabled
    via "Remote Login", which I suppose might be what confused the OP
    (though imo it should have been obvious to a unix.admin)

  7. Re: mac os x ftp not sftp??

    On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 14:17:21 -0400, J.J O'Shea wrote:
    > On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 13:09:18 -0400, xah@xahlee.org wrote
    > (in article <1123952958.701748.46390@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.c om>):
    >
    >> in Mac OS X, why it run ftp server by default but not sftp??

    > sftp _is_ available by default. You just have to use Terminal. Or a GUI
    > client which support sftp.
    > Or you could read the OS X Server manuals. Or, you could go to the Support
    > page on Apple's site and search for 'sftp'.
    >
    > And why, oh why, is a _Mac_ question crossposted to c.u.a?

    Because Macs run Unix, and have for many years now. It's perfectly
    acceptable and on-topic here. We had the OS bigot here years ago, and
    the group is a better place without him. There's no reason to play "My
    unix is more unix than your unix" games; you just end up in a lot of
    killfiles.

    > Followups set to c.s.m.s.

    Rather arrogant of you. Followups fixed.

  8. Re: mac os x ftp not sftp??

    Bob Harris wrote:
    > xah@xahlee.org wrote:
    >
    > > in Mac OS X, why it run ftp server by default but not sftp??

    FTP is a multi-operating system file transfer system. It
    is older than UNIX and was originally written for
    assorted mainframe operating systems. Along with telnet,
    all Internet systems have inherited it. Consider the
    FTP command "tenex" that sets the transfer type to the
    format used by the Tenex series of mainframe operating
    systems - I would be surprised if any of those are still
    in service.

    > FTP access is actually Truth in Advertising.
    >
    > But SFTP access is not as easy to spot. To get SSH sftp access, you
    > need to enable "Remote Login", which enables up the SSH daemons.
    >
    > System Preferences -> Sharing -> Remote Login

    And this makes SFTP appear to be a UNIX-only service.
    It isn't really UNIX-only, but all of the s* commands are
    far more used on UNIX than on other operating systems.

    So it's an adaptibility issue (setting aside the fact that
    neither is run by default). Run the one that gives access
    from the most types of systems. Simple in concept though
    not particularly correct in details.

  9. Re: mac os x ftp not sftp??

    In comp.sys.mac.system Doug Freyburger wrote:
    : Bob Harris wrote:

    : FTP is a multi-operating system file transfer system. It
    : is older than UNIX and was originally written for
    : assorted mainframe operating systems. Along with telnet,
    : all Internet systems have inherited it. Consider the
    : FTP command "tenex" that sets the transfer type to the
    : format used by the Tenex series of mainframe operating
    : systems - I would be surprised if any of those are still
    : in service.

    Yeah but I think some things like the tenex command mutated over the years.

    Am pretty sure back in 92/93 we were looking at some ftp source code
    (trying to replace the vendors broken shipped copy) and tenex, when issued
    mearly opened the file to be transmitted and checked the first 8-12 bytes to
    see if any "high bits" were set.

    The logic being, if not, it was probably text, if so, binary.

    Saved some time and file mangling if the wrong format was used.

    So it really didn't matter anymore if you were speaking to a mainframe,
    worked just fine with another pc that understood the command.

    -bruce
    bje@ripco.com

+ Reply to Thread