1 week encryption/security course? - Unix

This is a discussion on 1 week encryption/security course? - Unix ; I'm finding myself more and more involved with security and encryption projects lately. Can anyone suggest a 1-week course, somewhere in the US, which would cover topics such as PGP, SSL, and data interchange security? I'm looking for people who've ...

  1. 1 week encryption/security course?

    I'm finding myself more and more involved with security and encryption
    projects lately. Can anyone suggest a 1-week course, somewhere in the
    US, which would cover topics such as PGP, SSL, and data interchange
    security?

    I'm looking for people who've taken or heard of classes, not sales
    pitches from training centers. Those I can already find...

    Thanks,
    Dave Hinz

  2. Re: 1 week encryption/security course?

    In article <3kq7hqFvdbn0U2@individual.net>,
    Dave Hinz wrote:
    | I'm finding myself more and more involved with security and encryption
    | projects lately. Can anyone suggest a 1-week course, somewhere in the
    | US, which would cover topics such as PGP, SSL, and data interchange
    | security?
    |
    | I'm looking for people who've taken or heard of classes, not sales
    | pitches from training centers. Those I can already find...

    Don't know about classes, but the canonical treatment of the subject
    for technical laymen is Bruce Schneier's Applied Cryptography. He's
    also co-author on something of a sequel, 'Practical Cryptography'.

    Both books are published by Wiley.

    Jon

    | Thanks,
    | Dave Hinz

    Jonathan Abbey jonabbey@arlut.utexas.edu
    Applied Research Laboratories The University of Texas at Austin
    GPG Key: 71767586 at keyserver pgp.mit.edu, http://www.ganymeta.org/workkey.gpg

  3. Re: 1 week encryption/security course?

    On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 21:49:05 +0000 (UTC) broccol@csdsun1.arlut.utexas.edu (Jonathan Abbey) wrote:
    > In article <3kq7hqFvdbn0U2@individual.net>,
    > Dave Hinz wrote:
    > | I'm finding myself more and more involved with security and encryption
    > | projects lately. Can anyone suggest a 1-week course, somewhere in the
    > | US, which would cover topics such as PGP, SSL, and data interchange
    > | security?
    > |
    > | I'm looking for people who've taken or heard of classes, not sales
    > | pitches from training centers. Those I can already find...
    >
    > Don't know about classes, but the canonical treatment of the subject
    > for technical laymen is Bruce Schneier's Applied Cryptography.

    Not really. That merely talks about cryptography, and is not really a
    holistic view.

    A better coverage (for the OP) is probably found in _Network Security_
    by Kaufman et al. It's quite excellent.

    -frank

  4. Re: 1 week encryption/security course?

    In article ,
    Frank Cusack writes:
    > On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 21:49:05 +0000 (UTC) broccol@csdsun1.arlut.utexas.edu (Jonathan Abbey) wrote:
    >> In article <3kq7hqFvdbn0U2@individual.net>,
    >> Dave Hinz wrote:
    >> | I'm finding myself more and more involved with security and encryption
    >> | projects lately. Can anyone suggest a 1-week course, somewhere in the
    >> | US, which would cover topics such as PGP, SSL, and data interchange
    >> | security?
    >> |
    >> | I'm looking for people who've taken or heard of classes, not sales
    >> | pitches from training centers. Those I can already find...
    >>
    >> Don't know about classes, but the canonical treatment of the subject
    >> for technical laymen is Bruce Schneier's Applied Cryptography.

    > Not really. That merely talks about cryptography, and is not really a
    > holistic view.
    >
    > A better coverage (for the OP) is probably found in _Network Security_
    > by Kaufman et al. It's quite excellent.
    >
    > -frank

    I agree that the Schneier books are a bit, ahhhh, dense for what the OP was
    requesting. Interesting, if you're into cryptography, but not all that
    relevant to what was asked.

    I'd suggest he go to http://www.sans.org for information on various courses
    and workshops around the country.

    HTH,
    Bob Melson
    (remember me, Dave? Swell Ol' Bob?)

    -----
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation." Thomas Reed
    -----

  5. Re: 1 week encryption/security course?

    On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 18:41:38 -0700, Frank Cusack wrote:
    > On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 21:49:05 +0000 (UTC) broccol@csdsun1.arlut.utexas.edu (Jonathan Abbey) wrote:

    >> Don't know about classes, but the canonical treatment of the subject
    >> for technical laymen is Bruce Schneier's Applied Cryptography.

    > Not really. That merely talks about cryptography, and is not really a
    > holistic view.

    I think that if I could go at his book un-interrupted, that I could get
    a lot out of it. But, working in I.T., uninterrupted time only happens
    if I leave the office for a week - which is why I'm thinking a class.

    > A better coverage (for the OP) is probably found in _Network Security_
    > by Kaufman et al. It's quite excellent.

    I'll get that on order, thanks.

    Dave Hinz

  6. Re: 1 week encryption/security course?

    On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 05:05:03 GMT, Robert Melson wrote:

    > I agree that the Schneier books are a bit, ahhhh, dense for what the OP was
    > requesting. Interesting, if you're into cryptography, but not all that
    > relevant to what was asked.

    That's probably the word I was looking for, yes.

    > I'd suggest he go to http://www.sans.org for information on various courses
    > and workshops around the country.

    That's looking like the way to go, so far. Their site's graphic
    designer, however, needs to be brought out of 1992.

    > HTH,
    > Bob Melson
    > (remember me, Dave? Swell Ol' Bob?)

    You bet. This is, what, 7 or 8 groups of overlap now. Thanks for the
    pointers to PHPGedView, by the way. Playing with it a bit; very nice.
    I need to send in some documentation that I've written for it where it's
    a bit thin.

    Dave Hinz

  7. Re: 1 week encryption/security course?

    Frank Cusack wrote:
    > broccol@csdsun1.arlut.utexas.edu (Jonathan Abbey) wrote:
    > > In article <3kq7hqFvdbn0U2@individual.net>,
    > >
    > > Don't know about classes, but the canonical treatment of the subject
    > > for technical laymen is Bruce Schneier's Applied Cryptography.

    > Not really. That merely talks about cryptography, and is not really a
    > holistic view.
    >
    > A better coverage (for the OP) is probably found in _Network Security_
    > by Kaufman et al. It's quite excellent.

    Another excellent book is Ross Anderson's
    "Security Engineering: A Guide to Building Dependable Distributed Systems"

    One of the (many) things I liked about it is that it analyzes various
    systems in a methodical fashion, focusing on the principles involved.
    The numerous factors of what is being secured, what threats are
    neutralized, what vulnerabilities are still there and how they might
    be mitigated are all considered and dissected. The icing on the cake
    is that as the title suggests, it looks at the system as a whole,
    including how the pieces interact.

    Mike

    --
    Michael Zawrotny