counting number of sheets printed from a printer - Unix

This is a discussion on counting number of sheets printed from a printer - Unix ; Hi, OS:Red Hat 9 Printer :Epson stylus C63 Cups : 1.1.7 Driver : gimp-print-cups I need to find out how many pages/sheets of papers are printed daily from this printer which cannot be found out looking at the /var/log/cups/... as ...

  1. counting number of sheets printed from a printer

    Hi,

    OS:Red Hat 9
    Printer :Epson stylus C63
    Cups : 1.1.7
    Driver : gimp-print-cups

    I need to find out how many pages/sheets of papers are printed daily
    from this printer which cannot be found out looking at the
    /var/log/cups/...
    as someone already pointed out that---

    "CUPS counts the job pages that are being processed in software rather
    than the physical sheets successfully leaving the printing device. Thus
    if there is a jam while printing the fifth sheet out of a thousand and
    the job is aborted by the printer, the page count will still show the
    figure of a thousand for that job."

    So does anyone knows how i can get the exact count of number of pages
    coming out of the printer?

    Thanks in advance.

  2. Re: counting number of sheets printed from a printer

    In article <1122275201.763696.139100@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>,
    avirup_dasgupta@indiatimes.com wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > OS:Red Hat 9
    > Printer :Epson stylus C63
    > Cups : 1.1.7
    > Driver : gimp-print-cups
    >
    > I need to find out how many pages/sheets of papers are printed daily
    > from this printer which cannot be found out looking at the
    > /var/log/cups/...
    > as someone already pointed out that---
    >
    > "CUPS counts the job pages that are being processed in software rather
    > than the physical sheets successfully leaving the printing device. Thus
    > if there is a jam while printing the fifth sheet out of a thousand and
    > the job is aborted by the printer, the page count will still show the
    > figure of a thousand for that job."
    >
    > So does anyone knows how i can get the exact count of number of pages
    > coming out of the printer?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    Without having a printer with some intelligence like a postscript
    printer, the best you can do is use page count from the printing system
    that sent the job to the printer. Unless the device itself keeps track
    of the pages printed and can be queried before and after the print job
    completes, you're probably out of luck.

  3. Re: counting number of sheets printed from a printer

    On 25 Jul 2005 00:06:41 -0700, avirup_dasgupta@indiatimes.com
    wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > OS:Red Hat 9
    > Printer :Epson stylus C63
    > Cups : 1.1.7
    > Driver : gimp-print-cups
    >
    > I need to find out how many pages/sheets of papers are printed daily
    > from this printer which cannot be found out looking at the
    > /var/log/cups/...
    > as someone already pointed out that---
    >
    > "CUPS counts the job pages that are being processed in software rather
    > than the physical sheets successfully leaving the printing device. Thus
    > if there is a jam while printing the fifth sheet out of a thousand and
    > the job is aborted by the printer, the page count will still show the
    > figure of a thousand for that job."
    >
    > So does anyone knows how i can get the exact count of number of pages
    > coming out of the printer?

    I am not sure about epson printers but hp laserjets can output a self test
    page which gives a cumulative page count, perhaps yours can also do this?

    --
    Martin

  4. Re: counting number of sheets printed from a printer

    Martin Smith writes:

    > On 25 Jul 2005 00:06:41 -0700, avirup_dasgupta@indiatimes.com writes:

    >> So does anyone knows how i can get the exact count of number of pages
    >> coming out of the printer?

    > I am not sure about epson printers but hp laserjets can output a self test
    > page which gives a cumulative page count, perhaps yours can also do this?

    Not all HP printers keep this count in non-volatile memory though. On
    e.g. my HP LaserJet 6L, it goes back to 0 when I power off the printer.

    Bye, Dragan

    --
    Dragan Cvetkovic,

  5. Re: counting number of sheets printed from a printer

+ Reply to Thread