To any star/tar/backup/fs gurus

I am using star to backup and restore a solaris 9 system.

I take a periodic level 0 dump from a snapshot and intermittent incremental dumps.

I find a daily incremental dump is mostly mozilla cache files from home
directories (50Mb or so per user) ~15Mb total without!

I deem these files unimportant and I have an exclude pattern to omit them from
my incrementals. I do not exclude them from the level 0.

Would this cause a problem with inode information when using star to restore
from multiple backup sets as only the level 0 was a full dump - the incrementals
are partials as they have exclusions.

From the star man page....

The method used by star depends on comparing the time stamps
of all files against the time of the last backup. Note that
this method only works correctly if the level 0 backup and
all higher level incrementals include the whole file system. (*true*)
As star archives all inode meta data, star is able to detect
renamed files by comparing inode numbers.

Detecting renamed files only works if star scans the whole
file system tree for each full and incremental backup. This
will work in case no files are excluded (*false*) and the dump starts
at the root directory of a file system (*true*). In case that no
files are renamed from excluded parts to included parts,
partial backups may be taken also. Partial backups only make
sense if a complete directory sub tree is excluded (e.g. by
using the pat= option) or if a partial backup starts at a
sub directory that is not the root directory of the file
system.

The last part is tricky. What constitues a complete directory subtree?

I am excluding any file which has /export/data/home/*/.mozilla/*/Cache/* in it.

this removes the Cache/ directory also. is this appropriate?

Assuming my pattern only excludes the files in the mozilla Cache ( which will
never by relinked out of this directory ) am I safe to proceed?

thanks

Rob

--
Rap it up for the common good