Patching Systems Easier - Unix

This is a discussion on Patching Systems Easier - Unix ; I would like to minimize downtime for my Solaris9 systems when installing patch cluster. I am thinking about a running a script with following steps: - detaching mirrored root disk (metadetach) - installing patch cluster on the detached disk. - ...

  1. Patching Systems Easier

    I would like to minimize downtime for my Solaris9 systems when
    installing patch cluster.
    I am thinking about a running a script with following steps:
    - detaching mirrored root disk (metadetach)
    - installing patch cluster on the detached disk.
    - putting back the mirror (attaching back the patched disk to root
    disk)
    - rebooting system (resyncing disks) : Problem- which disk will be the
    master? Should I boot from the second disk?
    What do you think?
    Does anyone have experience doing this?

  2. Re: Patching Systems Easier

    On 19 Jul 2005 07:43:15 -0700, martyna.werner@mpls.frb.org wrote:
    > I would like to minimize downtime for my Solaris9 systems when
    > installing patch cluster.
    > I am thinking about a running a script with following steps:

    (snip)

    How about, instead of that, do this:

    - Transfer cluster(s) to the system, into say /var/tmp
    - reboot into single-user mode
    - have a script in the appropriate rc?.d directory called "S74autopatch"
    or similar, which blows up the zip file, cd's into the directory, and
    does an ./install_cluster, then removes itself and reboots the box.

    > Does anyone have experience doing this?

    Not that, but I've been doing the above for a while and it doesn't suck.
    Need to watch 'em in case something goes wrong, but you can patch a
    dozen or so at a time just by dropping autopatch in, getting the zip
    file to /var/tmp, and doing an init s as root.

    Make sure you get autopatch into the right order; you need file systems
    mounted, and so on.

  3. Re: Patching Systems Easier

    Hello Martyna,

    martyna.werner@mpls.frb.org wrote:
    > I would like to minimize downtime for my Solaris9 systems when
    > installing patch cluster.
    > I am thinking about a running a script with following steps:
    > - detaching mirrored root disk (metadetach)
    > - installing patch cluster on the detached disk.
    > - putting back the mirror (attaching back the patched disk to root
    > disk)
    > - rebooting system (resyncing disks) : Problem- which disk will be the
    > master?

    Once you have resynced the mirror, there will be no master as such. They
    will both have a copy of the active configuration. If you left the disk
    detached, you could choose which disk to boot from.

    Sun already have a similar framework for this, it is called Live
    Upgrade, I suggest you read up on it;

    http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/817...upgrade&a=view

    > Should I boot from the second disk?

    I would suggest looking at Live Upgrade for alternate boot environments.

    > What do you think?

    What you propose is overly complicated and would not IMHO make patching
    any easier. Your milage may vary on this.

    > Does anyone have experience doing this?

    Yes, but it involved rebooting the system into single user mode after
    pulling out the second disk so that it was physically isolated from the
    system. A luxury many of us doing remote support do not have.

    Kind Regards,

    Nathan Dietsch

+ Reply to Thread