chmod does not copy write permissions to others - Unix

This is a discussion on chmod does not copy write permissions to others - Unix ; Why doesn't "chmod o=u" copy write permissions on a file?...

  1. chmod does not copy write permissions to others

    Why doesn't "chmod o=u" copy write permissions on a file?

  2. Re: chmod does not copy write permissions to others

    On 1 Jul 2005 12:46:09 -0700, BigMan wrote:
    > Why doesn't "chmod o=u" copy write permissions on a file?

    You need to give a whole lot more information than that so a meaningful
    answer can be given. Show us the file's current permissions and owner,
    who you're doing it as, what you expect to happen, etc.

    If you're asking what I think you're asking, it does (or rather should).
    The above details will help to describe what's going on more clearly.

  3. Re: chmod does not copy write permissions to others

    Here's some more info:

    /home/angel/chmod_tests:ls -al; chmod o=u a; ls -al
    total 12
    drwx------ 2 angel angel 4096 Jul 1 21:31 .
    drwxr-xr-x 7 angel angel 4096 Jul 1 23:31 ..
    -rwx------ 1 angel angel 6 Jul 1 21:31 a
    total 12
    drwx------ 2 angel angel 4096 Jul 1 21:31 .
    drwxr-xr-x 7 angel angel 4096 Jul 1 23:31 ..
    -rwx---r-x 1 angel angel 6 Jul 1 21:31 a

    I issue the above commands as "angel" (the owner). What other info
    could be helpful?

  4. Re: chmod does not copy write permissions to others

    In article <1120250596.156642.180730@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups. com>,
    "BigMan" wrote:

    > Here's some more info:
    >
    > /home/angel/chmod_tests:ls -al; chmod o=u a; ls -al
    > total 12
    > drwx------ 2 angel angel 4096 Jul 1 21:31 .
    > drwxr-xr-x 7 angel angel 4096 Jul 1 23:31 ..
    > -rwx------ 1 angel angel 6 Jul 1 21:31 a
    > total 12
    > drwx------ 2 angel angel 4096 Jul 1 21:31 .
    > drwxr-xr-x 7 angel angel 4096 Jul 1 23:31 ..
    > -rwx---r-x 1 angel angel 6 Jul 1 21:31 a
    >
    > I issue the above commands as "angel" (the owner). What other info
    > could be helpful?

    It works properly for me on OS X 10.3.9:

    barmar $ chmod 700 foo
    barmar $ ls -l foo
    -rwx------ 1 barmar barmar 0 1 Jul 20:12 foo
    barmar $ chmod o=u foo
    barmar $ ls -l foo
    -rwx---rwx 1 barmar barmar 0 1 Jul 20:12 foo

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA

  5. Re: chmod does not copy write permissions to others

    On 2005-07-01, BigMan wrote:
    > Here's some more info:
    >
    > /home/angel/chmod_tests:ls -al; chmod o=u a; ls -al
    > total 12
    > drwx------ 2 angel angel 4096 Jul 1 21:31 .
    > drwxr-xr-x 7 angel angel 4096 Jul 1 23:31 ..
    > -rwx------ 1 angel angel 6 Jul 1 21:31 a
    > total 12
    > drwx------ 2 angel angel 4096 Jul 1 21:31 .
    > drwxr-xr-x 7 angel angel 4096 Jul 1 23:31 ..
    > -rwx---r-x 1 angel angel 6 Jul 1 21:31 a
    >
    > I issue the above commands as "angel" (the owner). What other info
    > could be helpful?

    What system are you using?

    It works for me on Linux (Debian 3.1):

    $ ls -l Teams; chmod o=u Teams; ls -l Teams
    -rwxrwx--- 1 chris chris 586 Oct 29 2004 Teams
    -rwxrwxrwx 1 chris chris 586 Oct 29 2004 Teams

    --
    Chris F.A. Johnson
    Shell Scripting Recipes: A Problem-Solution Approach, 2005, Apress

  6. Re: chmod does not copy write permissions to others

    I'm using a yellowdog Linux.

  7. Re: chmod does not copy write permissions to others

    BigMan wrote:
    > Why doesn't "chmod o=u" copy write permissions on a file?

    I think you have a typo! Try chmod o+a filename.txt instead
    of chmod o=a filename.txt (substitute + for =) Doesn't +
    add the ability and - take it away? No system available
    right now or I'd test it.

    --
    Take care | This clown speaks for himself, his job doesn't
    Wayne D. | pay for this, etc. (directly anyway)

  8. Re: chmod does not copy write permissions to others

    Same result if you mean chmod o+u filename. Otherwise explain the
    meaning of chmod o+a filename.

  9. Re: chmod does not copy write permissions to others

    BigMan wrote:
    > I'm using a yellowdog Linux.

    Perhaps an old bug? How old is this yellowdog? Is it even pre-coreutils?

    rpm -q --whatprovides /bin/chmod

    might be even more pertinent.

  10. Re: chmod does not copy write permissions to others

    Wayne Dernoncourt wrote:

    > BigMan wrote:
    >> Why doesn't "chmod o=u" copy write permissions on a file?

    > I think you have a typo! Try chmod o+a filename.txt instead
    > of chmod o=a filename.txt (substitute + for =) Doesn't +
    > add the ability and - take it away? No system available
    > right now or I'd test it.

    Not a typo, o=u means set perms for "other" the same as what is currently
    set for "user"
    Eric

  11. Re: chmod does not copy write permissions to others

    In article ,
    Eric wrote:

    > Wayne Dernoncourt wrote:
    >
    > > BigMan wrote:
    > >> Why doesn't "chmod o=u" copy write permissions on a file?

    > > I think you have a typo! Try chmod o+a filename.txt instead
    > > of chmod o=a filename.txt (substitute + for =) Doesn't +
    > > add the ability and - take it away? No system available
    > > right now or I'd test it.
    > >

    > Not a typo, o=u means set perms for "other" the same as what is currently
    > set for "user"

    Do you realize you're replying to something over 2 weeks old? I'm
    pretty sure someone pointed this out way back then.