Partition permission and owner changed after init 6 - Unix

This is a discussion on Partition permission and owner changed after init 6 - Unix ; Hi all! Solaris 8 is running on the system. After an init 6, the permission and owner of partition /tmp has changed. Any ideas where I could prevent this frokm happening ? Where can we set the default permission ? ...

  1. Partition permission and owner changed after init 6

    Hi all!

    Solaris 8 is running on the system. After an init 6, the permission
    and owner of partition /tmp has changed.

    Any ideas where I could prevent this frokm happening ?

    Where can we set the default permission ?

    Thanks !

    Guillaume

  2. Re: Partition permission and owner changed after init 6

    On 18 May 2005 11:26:06 -0700, Guillaume wrote:
    > Hi all!
    >
    > Solaris 8 is running on the system. After an init 6, the permission
    > and owner of partition /tmp has changed.

    What did it change from, and to?

    > Any ideas where I could prevent this frokm happening ?

    There's probably a good reason Solaris is setting it to what it
    is setting it to?

    > Where can we set the default permission ?

    What problem are you trying to fix by doing so? You might just be
    trying to do something that can be done a different way, better.

  3. Re: Partition permission and owner changed after init 6

    Guillaume wrote:
    > Hi all!
    >
    > Solaris 8 is running on the system. After an init 6, the permission
    > and owner of partition /tmp has changed.
    >
    > Any ideas where I could prevent this frokm happening ?
    >
    > Where can we set the default permission ?

    The problem you are most likely having, and how to fix it, are
    documented here:

    http://www.computing.net/solaris/www...orum/3937.html

    andrew@lod.com

  4. Re: Partition permission and owner changed after init 6

    It changed from :

    drwxrwxrwx sys:sys

    to :

    drw------- root:root

    When I start a third party application, it is trying to write to /tmp
    and gets a "permission denied". I need to manualy change the
    permission before starting it.

    Thanks !

    Guillaume

  5. Re: Partition permission and owner changed after init 6

    Thanks for the answer !

    Do you know a way to do it without shutting down the server ?

    Thanks !

    Guillaume

  6. Re: Partition permission and owner changed after init 6

    In article <1116446202.436530.93980@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.c om>,
    "Guillaume" wrote:

    > Thanks for the answer !
    >
    > Do you know a way to do it without shutting down the server ?
    >
    > Thanks !
    >
    > Guillaume

    Schedule the downtime. if /tmp is a tempfs filesystem, you'll need to
    reboot to set underlying mount point. Unless you can kick everyone off
    the system, shut down all applications, and the processes accessing /tmp
    (essentially the same as rebooting), I don't see any other way around
    this.