Move all user setting - Unix

This is a discussion on Move all user setting - Unix ; I have a new server ( host A ) and a existing server ( host B ) , I will move all data from host A to host B , could suggest what is the best method to move all ...

  1. Move all user setting

    I have a new server ( host A ) and a existing server ( host B ) , I
    will move all data from host A to host B , could suggest what is the
    best method to move all the user data including /etc/passwd .
    /etc/shadow , /etc/group , ~userid/.bash_profile , /home , how to make
    the user can use the same password after move the server ? thx

    I remember that linux has a command can "save" the setting in
    /etc/passwd , /etc/grooup & /etc/shadow , but not sure what is the
    command , could someone can advise ? thx

  2. Re: Move all user setting

    mia456789@yahoo.com.hk wrote:
    > I have a new server ( host A ) and a existing server ( host B ) , I
    > will move all data from host A to host B , could suggest what is the
    > best method to move all the user data including /etc/passwd .
    > /etc/shadow , /etc/group , ~userid/.bash_profile , /home , how to make
    > the user can use the same password after move the server ? thx
    >
    > I remember that linux has a command can "save" the setting in
    > /etc/passwd , /etc/grooup & /etc/shadow , but not sure what is the
    > command , could someone can advise ? thx

    mkdir /tmp/migrate
    cd /tmp/migrate
    mkdir etc
    cp /etc/passwd /etc/group /etc/shadow ./etc/
    tar cjvvf /home homefs.tar.bz2
    tar cvvf migration.tar *

    Burn this to a CD (if larger then a CD then split the migration tarball
    up so that it will, or transfer it over the network. Then, on the new
    machine:

    mkdir /tmp/migrate
    cd /tmp/migrate
    tar xvvf /path/to/migration.tar
    cp etc/* /etc
    tar xjvvf honefs.tar.bz2 /home

    And you've migrated all of your users as well as their data.

    - Mike

  3. Re: Move all user setting

    On 14 May 2005 07:08:50 -0700, mia456789@yahoo.com.hk wrote:
    > I have a new server ( host A ) and a existing server ( host B ) , I
    > will move all data from host A to host B , could suggest what is the
    > best method to move all the user data including /etc/passwd .
    > /etc/shadow , /etc/group , ~userid/.bash_profile , /home , how to make
    > the user can use the same password after move the server ? thx

    Look into dump/restore, or tar (with preserve), or rsync, for 3
    workable and frequently used methods.

    > I remember that linux has a command can "save" the setting in
    > /etc/passwd , /etc/grooup & /etc/shadow , but not sure what is the
    > command , could someone can advise ? thx

    That question is too vague to be able to answer.

+ Reply to Thread