Question concerning routing - Unix

This is a discussion on Question concerning routing - Unix ; Hi there, I have a problem with a mac OSX computer whihch works as a router. I use this computer as a router between a WLAN network with 192.0.0.0 and a Ethernet network with 10.100.0.0. This seems to work fine ...

  1. Question concerning routing

    Hi there,

    I have a problem with a mac OSX computer whihch works as a router.
    I use this computer as a router between a WLAN network with 192.0.0.0
    and a Ethernet network with 10.100.0.0.

    This seems to work fine since i can access computers from the 10.0.0.0
    to 192.0.0.0 and vice versa.

    But I have a very weired problem with a printer within the 10.0.0.0
    network :

    If I print anything on it from within the 10. network it works properly
    but if i want to print anything from the router I get from the printer
    an Error like "Unvalid person".

    Does anyone know what this could mean and how to solve that problem ?

    Best regards and thanks in advance,

    Daniel

  2. Re: Question concerning routing

    On Sat, May 14 2005, Daniel Wetzler wrote:

    > Hi there,
    >
    > I have a problem with a mac OSX computer whihch works as a router.
    > I use this computer as a router between a WLAN network with 192.0.0.0
    > and a Ethernet network with 10.100.0.0.
    >
    > This seems to work fine since i can access computers from the 10.0.0.0
    > to 192.0.0.0 and vice versa.
    >
    > But I have a very weired problem with a printer within the 10.0.0.0
    > network :
    >
    > If I print anything on it from within the 10. network it works
    > properly but if i want to print anything from the router I get from
    > the printer an Error like "Unvalid person".

    Is that the exact error message?

    > Does anyone know what this could mean and how to solve that problem ?

    Well at first glance this seems to be a permissions problem, but without
    knowing more about your setup it's hard to tell.

    What operating system(s) do the other computers run? In particular, is
    the printer connected to a computer which runs UNIX and if so what
    printing system (CUPS, etc) are you using? Or is the printer connected
    via an ethernet connection? More info please.

    --
    Neil

  3. Re: Question concerning routing <== problem solved

    Hi Neil,

    thanks for your fast answer.
    I first also thought of an permission problem
    but at the end it turned out to be a simple driver problem.

    For some reason I don't exactly understand I can not use
    the normal driver under MacOSX (my router is a mac) for HP Laserjet
    printers, which uses the normal BSD-printing. I had to use the CUPS
    driver instead. So maybe there are permissions missing to use direct IP
    printing with the old BSD system.

    Could this be a way to explain why it works with CUPS only ?

    Best regards,

    Daniel

    Neil Woods wrote:
    > On Sat, May 14 2005, Daniel Wetzler wrote:
    >

    >>Hi there,
    >>
    >>I have a problem with a mac OSX computer whihch works as a router.
    >>I use this computer as a router between a WLAN network with 192.0.0.0
    >>and a Ethernet network with 10.100.0.0.
    >>
    >>This seems to work fine since i can access computers from the 10.0.0.0
    >>to 192.0.0.0 and vice versa.
    >>
    >>But I have a very weired problem with a printer within the 10.0.0.0
    >>network :
    >>
    >>If I print anything on it from within the 10. network it works
    >>properly but if i want to print anything from the router I get from
    >>the printer an Error like "Unvalid person".

    > Is that the exact error message?
    >

    >>Does anyone know what this could mean and how to solve that problem ?

    > Well at first glance this seems to be a permissions problem, but without
    > knowing more about your setup it's hard to tell.
    >
    > What operating system(s) do the other computers run? In particular, is
    > the printer connected to a computer which runs UNIX and if so what
    > printing system (CUPS, etc) are you using? Or is the printer connected
    > via an ethernet connection? More info please.

+ Reply to Thread