bootp question - Unix

This is a discussion on bootp question - Unix ; Hello All ! I have bought RHEL 4.0 . I'm triying to transfer all my services from an old Solaris/sparc server to my new Redhat server . All is going well except for my bootp server .Can find any bootpd ...

  1. bootp question

    Hello All !

    I have bought RHEL 4.0 . I'm triying to transfer all my services from an
    old Solaris/sparc server to my new Redhat server .

    All is going well except for my bootp server .Can find any bootpd
    (deamon) , config file etc .... ????

    Where did it go ? i need it for my hp printers .

    Thanks in advance
    Gio

  2. Re: bootp question

    Bill Marcum wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    > > I have bought RHEL 4.0 . I'm triying to transfer all my services

    from an
    > > old Solaris/sparc server to my new Redhat server .
    > > All is going well except for my bootp server .Can find any bootpd
    > > (deamon) , config file etc .... ????
    > > Where did it go ? i need it for my hp printers .

    Services standard on HPUX aren't always included. Start with
    the HP web site. They do support Linux.

    > Maybe you can use dhcpd?

    A better choice if the printer can be configured to use DHCP.
    I suspect sufficiently old models only support bootp.

  3. Re: bootp question

    On 10 May 2005 18:06:21 -0700,
    Doug Freyburger wrote:

    > Bill Marcum wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> > I have bought RHEL 4.0 . I'm triying to transfer all my services

    > from an
    >> > old Solaris/sparc server to my new Redhat server .
    >> > All is going well except for my bootp server .Can find any bootpd
    >> > (deamon) , config file etc .... ????
    >> > Where did it go ? i need it for my hp printers .

    > Services standard on HPUX aren't always included. Start with
    > the HP web site. They do support Linux.
    >
    >> Maybe you can use dhcpd?

    > A better choice if the printer can be configured to use DHCP.
    > I suspect sufficiently old models only support bootp.

    The dhcp protocol is a direct extension of the bootp protocol and
    dhcp server will in most cases support bootp client. Redhat system
    comes with ICS dhcpd and the man page for dhcpd.conf tells you how
    to create the configuration file for bootp clients.

    Villy

+ Reply to Thread