ioscan -fnCtape - Unix

This is a discussion on ioscan -fnCtape - Unix ; Hi. # ioscan -fnCtape Class I H/W Path Driver S/W State H/W Type Description ================================================== =================== tape 0 0/1/1/1.3.0 stape CLAIMED DEVICE HP C5683A /dev/rmt/0mb /dev/rmt/c3t3d0BESTb /dev/rmt/c3t3d0DDSb /dev/rmt/0mn /dev/rmt/c3t3d0BESTn /dev/rmt/c3t3d0DDSn /dev/rmt/0mnb /dev/rmt/c3t3d0BESTnb /dev/rmt/c3t3d0DDSnb /dev/rmt/c3t3d0BEST /dev/rmt/c3t3d0DDS Hi, i was just wondering ...

  1. ioscan -fnCtape

    Hi.

    # ioscan -fnCtape
    Class I H/W Path Driver S/W State H/W Type Description
    tape 0 0/1/1/1.3.0 stape CLAIMED DEVICE HP C5683A
    /dev/rmt/0mb /dev/rmt/c3t3d0BESTb
    /dev/rmt/c3t3d0DDSb
    /dev/rmt/0mn /dev/rmt/c3t3d0BESTn
    /dev/rmt/c3t3d0DDSn
    /dev/rmt/0mnb /dev/rmt/c3t3d0BESTnb
    /dev/rmt/c3t3d0DDSnb
    /dev/rmt/c3t3d0BEST /dev/rmt/c3t3d0DDS

    Hi, i was just wondering why there is no /dev/rmt/0mn. On my other unix
    box, there is this 0mn but no c3t3d0BEST . Is this due to the stape
    patch?

    Please advise.

  2. Re: ioscan -fnCtape

    In article <1115197842.677056.86760@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.c om>,
    hosea.basis@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi.
    >
    > # ioscan -fnCtape
    > Class I H/W Path Driver S/W State H/W Type Description
    >================================================== ===================
    > tape 0 0/1/1/1.3.0 stape CLAIMED DEVICE HP C5683A
    > /dev/rmt/0mb /dev/rmt/c3t3d0BESTb
    > /dev/rmt/c3t3d0DDSb
    > /dev/rmt/0mn /dev/rmt/c3t3d0BESTn

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^
    > /dev/rmt/c3t3d0DDSn
    > /dev/rmt/0mnb /dev/rmt/c3t3d0BESTnb
    > /dev/rmt/c3t3d0DDSnb
    > /dev/rmt/c3t3d0BEST /dev/rmt/c3t3d0DDS
    >
    > Hi, i was just wondering why there is no /dev/rmt/0mn. On my other unix
    > box, there is this 0mn but no c3t3d0BEST . Is this due to the stape
    > patch?

    You will get much better HP-UX results by posting to comp.sys.hp.hpux, but you
    *do* have a 0mn - see above...

    Additionally, sometimes not ALL device drivers for tape drives get created. You
    can create all of them through SAM as the easiest method.

    Kevin

    --
    Unix Guy Consulting, LLC
    Unix and Linux Automation, Shell, Perl and CGI scripting

  3. Re: ioscan -fnCtape

    Kevin Collins wrote:
    > In article <1115197842.677056.86760@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.c om>,
    > hosea.basis@gmail.com wrote:
    > > Hi.
    > >
    > > # ioscan -fnCtape
    > > Class I H/W Path Driver S/W State H/W Type

    Description

    >================================================== ===================
    > > tape 0 0/1/1/1.3.0 stape CLAIMED DEVICE HP

    C5683A
    > > /dev/rmt/0mb

    /dev/rmt/c3t3d0BESTb
    > > /dev/rmt/c3t3d0DDSb
    > > /dev/rmt/0mn

    /dev/rmt/c3t3d0BESTn
    > ^^^^^^^^^^^^
    > > /dev/rmt/c3t3d0DDSn
    > > /dev/rmt/0mnb

    /dev/rmt/c3t3d0BESTnb
    > > /dev/rmt/c3t3d0DDSnb
    > > /dev/rmt/c3t3d0BEST /dev/rmt/c3t3d0DDS
    > >
    > > Hi, i was just wondering why there is no /dev/rmt/0mn. On my other

    unix
    > > box, there is this 0mn but no c3t3d0BEST . Is this due to the stape
    > > patch?

    > You will get much better HP-UX results by posting to

    comp.sys.hp.hpux, but you
    > *do* have a 0mn - see above...
    >
    > Additionally, sometimes not ALL device drivers for tape drives get

    created. You
    > can create all of them through SAM as the easiest method.
    >
    > Kevin
    >
    > --
    > Unix Guy Consulting, LLC
    > Unix and Linux Automation, Shell, Perl and CGI scripting
    > http://www.unix-guy.com

    Hi. you are right. I made a typo mistake. It should be /dev/rmt/0m
    instead.

    Okay, i will check out SAM about creating this 0m

    thanks

  4. Re: ioscan -fnCtape

    Kevin Collins wrote:

    > > # ioscan -fnCtape

    > You will get much better HP-UX results by posting to

    comp.sys.hp.hpux, but you
    > *do* have a 0mn - see above...

    I haven't had good results posting to vendor specific groups
    over the years. For HPUX the best place is the user forums
    on the HP ITRC web site. Many hockey-pucks folks hang out
    there, few on the newsgroup.

    > Additionally, sometimes not ALL device drivers for tape drives get

    created. You
    > can create all of them through SAM as the easiest method.

    Agreed. For completeness, do an "ls -l" on all of them and
    note the major and minor device numbers. On any UNIX the
    major number is the position of the driver in the dispatch
    table (modinfo gives it on Solaris, I forget if modinfo is
    on HPUX). On HPUX the minor number contains usefull bit
    ranges. No/yes-rewind gets a bit. So does Berkeley/not.
    High/medium/low density gets a few bits.

    So the ones like 0nbm are common names with other UNIX
    systems, the ones with *DDS* matches what's on the label of
    the physical tapes. I've never asked what the *BEST*
    means. Is it simply highest density? Sometimes I wonder
    if longest media life might be best.

+ Reply to Thread