Mount a particular *place* on a HD at a particular point...? - Unix

This is a discussion on Mount a particular *place* on a HD at a particular point...? - Unix ; Hello, How do I mount, say, /dev/hda2/lotsofdata, ie. the *directory* "lotsofdata" in /dev/hda2, under a particlar point, like, /mnt/accessithere ? Thanks, The NO-Mad!...

  1. Mount a particular *place* on a HD at a particular point...?

    Hello,

    How do I mount, say, /dev/hda2/lotsofdata, ie. the *directory*
    "lotsofdata" in /dev/hda2, under a particlar point, like,
    /mnt/accessithere ?

    Thanks,

    The NO-Mad!

  2. Re: Mount a particular *place* on a HD at a particular point...?

    binary-no...@hotmail.com wrote:

    > How do I mount, say, /dev/hda2/lotsofdata, ie. the *directory*
    > "lotsofdata" in /dev/hda2, under a particlar point, like,
    > /mnt/accessithere ?

    What version of UNIX? Look for "lofs" or loopback
    filesystem. Mount the entire filesystem in one place,
    then remount the directory from it somewhere else.
    LOFS acts like NFS but it is local rather than
    remote.

    There's a better way. Symbolic link.

  3. Re: Mount a particular *place* on a HD at a particular point...?

    > There's a better way. Symbolic link.

    How much overhead is there in processing a symbolic link?

  4. Re: Mount a particular *place* on a HD at a particular point...?

    binary-nomad@hotmail.com wrote:
    >>There's a better way. Symbolic link.

    > How much overhead is there in processing a symbolic link?

    Not much, really, a symlink ends up really just being a "pointer" of
    sorts to another place. The nice thing about symlinks is that they can
    cross filesystems which makes this possible.

    In effect the overhead is basically nill.

    Where you see overhead come in is if you're pointing to filesystems that
    are comparatively slow -- such as ISO9660 filesystems that you have on
    CD-ROM or DVD.

    - Mike

  5. Re: Mount a particular *place* on a HD at a particular point...?

    binary-no...@hotmail.com wrote:

    > > There's a better way. Symbolic link.

    > How much overhead is there in processing a symbolic link?

    Several orders of magnitude less than processing a
    mount request. If you're asking aobut overhead
    without switching to aq real-time kernel scheduler,
    you're running down the wrong corridor. Symlinks
    have been built into UNIX filesystems for a long
    time and there has been plenty of chance to optimize
    their access.

+ Reply to Thread