Question - Unix

This is a discussion on Question - Unix ; What do I study to understand the underpinnings of Mac OSX 10.4? TIA...

  1. Question

    What do I study to understand the underpinnings of Mac OSX 10.4? TIA

  2. Re: Question

    Philip Meech wrote:
    > What do I study to understand the underpinnings of Mac OSX 10.4? TIA

    FreeBSD

  3. Re: Question

    Begin
    On 2005-04-30, Nick Bachmann wrote:
    > Philip Meech wrote:
    >> What do I study to understand the underpinnings of Mac OSX 10.4? TIA

    > FreeBSD

    Oh, so close, and so wrong. The proper answer is of course ``darwin'',
    and apple does publish lots of stuff on their website about it. Also,
    the deepest core is mach4 based, which FreeBSD doesn't have, so mach
    documentation should help a bit, too. Still, as long as you remember
    that many things simply aren't the same or don't apply to darwin, the
    daemon book (any version) may be an interesting read, too.

    Finding the references left as an excercise.

  4. Re: Question

    On 1 May 2005 13:15:44 GMT, jpd wrote:
    > Begin
    > On 2005-04-30, Nick Bachmann wrote:
    >> Philip Meech wrote:
    >>> What do I study to understand the underpinnings of Mac OSX 10.4? TIA

    >> FreeBSD

    > Oh, so close, and so wrong. The proper answer is of course ``darwin'',

    Ehhh...

    > and apple does publish lots of stuff on their website about it. Also,
    > the deepest core is mach4 based, which FreeBSD doesn't have, so mach
    > documentation should help a bit, too. Still, as long as you remember
    > that many things simply aren't the same or don't apply to darwin, the
    > daemon book (any version) may be an interesting read, too.

    It would be a poor student indeed who could not learn what makes OSX
    tick by studying FreeBSD.

+ Reply to Thread