setting display for oracle runinstaller - Unix

This is a discussion on setting display for oracle runinstaller - Unix ; Hi, i noticed that in the setting of display, we have the option of :0.0 Generally, it is as above. But somehow, i guess that we could change the last 0 incrementally. Could this be the number of xwindows session ...

  1. setting display for oracle runinstaller

    Hi, i noticed that in the setting of display, we have the option of
    :0.0

    Generally, it is as above. But somehow, i guess that we could change
    the last 0 incrementally. Could this be the number of xwindows session
    that are available?

    Please advise.

  2. Re: setting display for oracle runinstaller

    hosea.basis@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi, i noticed that in the setting of display, we have the option of
    > :0.0

    > Generally, it is as above. But somehow, i guess that we could change
    > the last 0 incrementally. Could this be the number of xwindows session
    > that are available?

    Do 'man X' and look for the section DISPLAY NAMES. The format is
    like this: hostname:displaynumber.screennumber
    Hostname is, well, hostname. Displaynumber refers to a particular X
    server, which I guess is what you are calling an "xwindows session". If
    you have more than one X server running on a host, then you would have
    more than one display number. The "screen number" refers to a
    particular screen belonging to a particular display. I'm sure it's used
    sometimes, but I can't remember ever seeing it anything but zero.

    Do you have a particular desire or need to change the $DISPLAY
    setting, or were you just asking out of curiosity? If you want an
    application to appear on a different display, you usually have to change
    the display number, not the screen number; ie, the first zero, not the
    second. Unless the display is on a different host, in which case it's
    probably display 0 on that hostname.

    JDW

  3. Re: setting display for oracle runinstaller

    In article , Jeremiah DeWitt Weiner wrote:
    > hosea.basis@gmail.com wrote:
    >> Hi, i noticed that in the setting of display, we have the option of
    >> :0.0

    >> Generally, it is as above. But somehow, i guess that we could change
    >> the last 0 incrementally. Could this be the number of xwindows session
    >> that are available?

    > Do 'man X' and look for the section DISPLAY NAMES. The format is
    > like this: hostname:displaynumber.screennumber
    > Hostname is, well, hostname. Displaynumber refers to a particular X
    > server, which I guess is what you are calling an "xwindows session". If
    > you have more than one X server running on a host, then you would have
    > more than one display number. The "screen number" refers to a
    > particular screen belonging to a particular display. I'm sure it's used
    > sometimes, but I can't remember ever seeing it anything but zero.

    If you run a window manager that supports multiple desktops or workspaces (CDE,
    Blackbox, WindowMaker, others) then the screen number represents the different
    desktops.

    > Do you have a particular desire or need to change the $DISPLAY
    > setting, or were you just asking out of curiosity? If you want an
    > application to appear on a different display, you usually have to change
    > the display number, not the screen number; ie, the first zero, not the
    > second. Unless the display is on a different host, in which case it's
    > probably display 0 on that hostname.

    Kevin

    --
    Unix Guy Consulting, LLC
    Unix and Linux Automation, Shell, Perl and CGI scripting

  4. Re: setting display for oracle runinstaller

    wrote:
    > > hosea.basis@gmail.com wrote:
    > >> Hi, i noticed that in the setting of display, we have the option

    of
    > >> :0.0

    > >> Generally, it is as above. But somehow, i guess that we could

    change
    > >> the last 0 incrementally. Could this be the number of xwindows

    session
    > >> that are available?

    > > Do 'man X' and look for the section DISPLAY NAMES. The format is
    > > like this: hostname:displaynumber.screennumber
    > > Hostname is, well, hostname. Displaynumber refers to a particular

    > > server, which I guess is what you are calling an "xwindows

    session". If
    > > you have more than one X server running on a host, then you would

    have
    > > more than one display number. The "screen number" refers to a
    > > particular screen belonging to a particular display. I'm sure it's

    used
    > > sometimes, but I can't remember ever seeing it anything but zero.

    > If you run a window manager that supports multiple desktops or

    workspaces (CDE,
    > Blackbox, WindowMaker, others) then the screen number represents the

    different
    > desktops.
    >
    > > Do you have a particular desire or need to change the $DISPLAY
    > > setting, or were you just asking out of curiosity? If you want an
    > > application to appear on a different display, you usually have to

    change
    > > the display number, not the screen number; ie, the first zero, not

    the
    > > second. Unless the display is on a different host, in which case

    it's
    > > probably display 0 on that hostname.

    > Kevin
    >
    > --
    > Unix Guy Consulting, LLC
    > Unix and Linux Automation, Shell, Perl and CGI scripting
    > http://www.unix-guy.com

    Hi

    Thanks guys!

    Yup, i asked it out of curiosity...